Katsina Palm (New Dragon).

KenLin39
5th March 2008, 11:53
Photo of Katsina Palm leaving Tilbury as New Dragon. Ken.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=596313

Christopher Roberts
5th March 2008, 12:35
Hi Ken, the photo brings back a lot of memories - I sailed on her in the 1960's - she looks in a sorry state in that photo.

cacique
5th March 2008, 12:49
Ken, many thanks for this, brings back a lot of memories, I only did relief work on the Katsina but sailed a few trips on the Kano, those were the days ! Kind Regards, David Wilson.

mattyr
5th March 2008, 13:44
dear ken. i sailed on the katsina palm quite a lot during the 60s and 70s. i was there when the galley and other places were burnt out while in douala. remember les holt the r/o? he was almost in tears when he saw what had happened to his bar.

mattyr
5th March 2008, 13:46
dear ken. i sailed on the katsina palm quite a lot during the 60s and 70s. i was there when the galley and other places were burnt out while in douala. remember les holt the r/o? he was almost in tears when he saw what had happened to his bar. matty roberts

lakercapt
5th March 2008, 14:11
Sailed on her on maiden voyage as 3rd mate december 1957 from Swan Hunters yard.
Very distressing sight in that photo.

KenLin39
5th March 2008, 14:42
Hi Ken, the photo brings back a lot of memories - I sailed on her in the 1960's - she looks in a sorry state in that photo.

Hello Chris. I sailed on the Katsina as EDH 22 July - 7 Oct - 1960. Ken.

Hey LakerCapt. Did I send you my photo of the Lokoja Palm arriving at Port Harcourt ?.

bobs
5th March 2008, 15:44
Hi, Guys,
The old Katsina Palm had another six years as the New Dragon. In that photo posted in "another place" (by me) she wasn't really in such bad nick. The palm had been painted out of the funnel marking but otherwise she looks to have been in pretty good condition paint-wise above the waterline. And it is probable that she was on her way to drydocking when that photo was taken, for a wash-and-brush up by her new owners. 27 years was not a bad career for a ship that had become quite obsolete in her latter years.
Cheers
Bob Scott

lakercapt
5th March 2008, 23:00
[Hey LakerCapt. Did I send you my photo of the Lokoja Palm arriving at Port Harcourt ?.[/QUOTE]

No Ken you didn't.
I never was on that ship but Port Harcourt many times

southern cross
24th March 2008, 13:31
Hi
New to this site looks very good, katsina palm, I think I have the brass makers plate from the bridge, 'king neptune' got it in the gulf on a jolly just before it was due to go to scrap, owners must have changed there minds?, even got a few photo of her sailing off into the sunset, I was on the crest hill ex timaru star.