Name that ship!

Neen
6th March 2008, 09:52
A Game for 2+ players...

Ok boys... I've seen you all work your magic on the photos in the gallery... do your worst!

The coloured photo appears to have blue and red tartan carpet. (What *were* they thinking?!) Anyone care to take a punt on who the guy in the funny hat is? (Not the master - the *other* funny hat)...some USSCo management type?

The black and white appears to have a lot of wood panelling, we suspected it might be the Maori. But that is just a wild guess.

Cheers

Ronnie Williams
24th March 2008, 08:17
A Game for 2+ players...

Ok boys... I've seen you all work your magic on the photos in the gallery... do your worst!

The coloured photo appears to have blue and red tartan carpet. (What *were* they thinking?!) Anyone care to take a punt on who the guy in the funny hat is? (Not the master - the *other* funny hat)...some USSCo management type?

The black and white appears to have a lot of wood panelling, we suspected it might be the Maori. But that is just a wild guess.

Cheers
dont think its the Maori, the bridge is to small although I remember the wooden dodgers but if memory serves me I remember the forepart was steel
Ronnie Williams

Ronnie Williams
24th March 2008, 08:19
[QUOTE=Ronnie Williams;201215]dont think its the Maori, the bridge is to small although I remember the wooden dodgers but if memory serves me I remember the forepart was steel
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

J Boyde
24th March 2008, 09:26
Try the older Rangatira, the one that looked like a real ship. Service ended around mid 65.
Jim B

Neen
25th March 2008, 11:15
Thanks guys! Well...here's what we've come up with based on what you had to say:
The colour photo is actually the Maori after her cut and shut refit. (I sat down and did a before and after photo thing). Still no clue as to who the man in the silly hat is.
The black and white ... we always just assumed was the Maori...thanks! Now realise it's not. Not sure that it's the same panelling as Rangatira I either...but is *probably* (another wild guess) a promotional shot from around the time of Mac going to collect the Rangatira II. At which point; does it look like the Tofua? Because he would have been doing the 'banana boats' around that time.

26th March 2008, 07:50
It is indeed the bridge on Maori, Capt. Alan McIntyre OBE, and the man in the hat is the Union Company's then Wellington branch manager, David Graham - later to be deputy managing director. I believe this brochure promo shot was taken post Wahine II. The other photo is likely Rangatira or Hinemoa in Wellington, looks like gmv Aramoana in background.

Neen
26th March 2008, 10:34
Your blood is worth bottling 100468!
I knew it was Alan (my father-in-law), but wasn't sure who the other guy was!

As far as I know Alan was only on the Hinemoa for a week 1963. Unless they just put him there for the photo. Certainly Alan looks about the same as he did on the Rangatira II arrival photos, so I'd say 1971 is the date on the black and white.

Neen
31st March 2008, 12:43
Ok Guys!
Many thanks for your help.

Mr Boyde, you were 120% correct. It's the Rangatira I. (I discovered a wee newspaper clipping to prove it...which I'll annoy you all with in a new thread).