Strathmore

Ian
6th April 2004, 15:01
STRATHMORE was built by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow for P & O in 1935. 23,580 grt, 629 ft. overall. Geared turbines, twin screw, 20 knots. Passenger accommodation was for 445 1st. Class, 665 Tourist. Route was between UK and Australia. She was sold in 1963, renamed and eventually used as a pilgrim ship and hotel in the Far East. This fine old lady was broken up in 1969.

georgem
17th July 2004, 05:38
I worked as 2nd printer in the printer's shop during the approx. year 1960-1961, a fine old ship. George Turner from Surrey was the other printer on board at the time. I came from Glasgow and am now retired and living in Canada.

chaspat
28th September 2005, 11:08
sailed on final voyage

R651400
28th September 2005, 16:27
Strathmore international call-letters GYMS.
North Eastern School of Wireless Telegraphy, Bridlington's prospectus carried a picture of her 50's radio room.
Someone out there maybe have a copy?

Roger Turner
21st February 2013, 15:04
I am a visitor from Elder Dempsters forum where I have been a member for the last few years.
I have received a request for help regarding the "Strathmore" from a relative of my Son-in-law.
Can anyone direct me please?
It is to find a passenger list for this vessel which sailed from Sydney Australia to Glasgow in late 1942, presumably arriving in the Clyde early 1943.
The passenger was Mrs.Eleanor Wood and her three children, Alexander (the enquirer) Robert Henry, and John..
He remembers the vessel called at Auckland, sailed straight across the Pacific, through Panama and across the Atlantic to Glasgow
Any direction would be gratefully received.

Brandane62
22nd February 2013, 17:00

You could try this site...... http://www.poheritage.com/

You can do a ship search, and although I haven't tried it myself, there is also something about passenger searches. Not sure how detailed it might be. Good luck.

Pat Thompson
22nd February 2013, 17:36
Greetings,

There is also Find my Past, I believe they make a charge for their services. Have a look HERE
(http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?redef=B)

Roger Turner
27th February 2013, 12:01
You could try this site...... http://www.poheritage.com/

You can do a ship search, and although I haven't tried it myself, there is also something about passenger searches. Not sure how detailed it might be. Good luck.

Thank you Brandane not sure it will get me much further, but it is quite an interesting site anyway.
Also thanks to Pat for his help. I`m not saying that my son in law`s uncle hails from Aberdeen, but the paying bit does have significance in my book anyway.

Roger Turner
6th March 2013, 12:26
I am a visitor from Elder Dempsters forum where I have been a member for the last few years.
I have received a request for help regarding the "Strathmore" from a relative of my Son-in-law.
Can anyone direct me please?
It is to find a passenger list for this vessel which sailed from Sydney Australia to Glasgow in late 1942, presumably arriving in the Clyde early 1943.
The passenger was Mrs.Eleanor Wood and her three children, Alexander (the enquirer) Robert Henry, and John..
He remembers the vessel called at Auckland, sailed straight across the Pacific, through Panama and across the Atlantic to Glasgow

Belay that last quote, my son-in-law`s uncle has now consulted his brother and come up with fresh info.

It appears the family sailed to Australia on the "Strathmore" departing Liverpool 12/8/1940 and returned on the "Strathallan" , but I am still not sure if he got the date of return right, as he also posted a note that this vessel was lost 21/22nd December 1942 North of Oran, off the Algerian Coast,North Africa.