MV Surrey

Peter Steele
16th May 2005, 10:57
Anyone on board who was on the Surrey between Jan 1957 to April 1958?
My first ship as Stewards Boy and Assistant Steward. Peter Steele

Mike Tiernan
23rd June 2005, 04:00
Hello Peter, yes, I was on the Surrey as an Engineer all of 1957, so we must have met. Skippers Tiger from Liverpool used to cut my hair (and have a beer) Still have her coloured picture framed and hanging on a wall, taken in Sydney Harbour. Captain was named Slaydon, Chief Engineer Bray (Aussie)
Mike

Peter Steele
23rd June 2005, 11:49
Hiya Mike, thanks for responding to my message re crew on the MV Surrey. I might have brought you a cup of tea in the mornings! I have been in contact with a couple of other crew members you may remember. My mate, another steward was Peter Moreton. Also I have been contacted by Geo Griffiths who was an AB on the Surrey at the same time. It was George who posted the photograph on Ships Nostalgia which I responded to and have since exchanged a few emails and renewed our friendship. George now lives in Perth, Australia. The name of the man who cut your hair was also Peter I think and I also think he became the 2nd Steward on the Surrey on the next trip or the one after. Captain Sladen was a hard man and not Georges favourite person. I became the engineers steward on my third trip as I recall, and I'm sure Mr Bray was still the Chief Engineer. Over the years the memory has become a bit dim but it's great to communicate with some of our fellow seamen of years gone by.
The ships nostalgia site is very interesting and I'm enjoying looking around it. Thats all from me for now, thanks for responding Mike. I look forward to hearing from you again. Best regards. Peter

Mike Tiernan
23rd June 2005, 13:17
Look's like we have got it right Peter including the name of our on-board barber,seem to recall he had a brother who was an orchestra conducter. Did you by chance wear glasses, as I have a small black and white photo of who I believe is you, taken viewing the bum-boat boy's good's spread out along the deck. Interesting your A.B contact George Griffiths residing in Perth, as I live only an hour away just south of Mandurah,, you might like to let your mate George know where I am. He should well remember the big Lamptrimmer (I do !) while watching a line we had over the side with meat on the hook and a light cluster, trying to catch a shark or something at night while at anchor, in Sydney Harbour, the lampy picked me up by the collar and bum of my overalls and held me over the side, had a quiet panic attack. He and Jimmy Irvine the engine room storekeeper helped me celebrate my 21st birthday in Newcastle N.S.W ( for a week !)
Look forward to more news from you.
Regards , Mike

Peter Steele
3rd January 2006, 09:27
Hi Mike, Hell I have been slack have'nt I. I have'nt looked at the site for a while and just came back to it tonight. Yes, I did (and still do) wear glasses. I have a photo which I think was taken on the Surrey of two engineers looking down over the rail and, if you are who I think you are you may be one of the guys in it. I will try to attach it to this if that is possible. (I'm not an expert on the computer!). Hey Mike, George Griffiths would be pleased to hear from you I'm sure, here is his email address
[email]exseafarer@iinet.net.au He sends me lots of jokes and things. Please let me know how you get on. My email address is [email]petesteele@xtra.co.nz
Fancy you celebrating your 21st in Newcastle. I celebrated mine (if thats the word!) in London. Got ripped off by a photographer who took photos of us and said he would post them to me. I paid him - mug - and that was the last I saw of him, never saw any photos either. He probably did'nt have any film in his camera! We also went to a night club - everything in those places cost an arm and a leg does'nt it. We had to pay an entry fee, membership fee I think it was, before we could buy any drinks.
I remember them trying to catch a shark as well. Would'nt have though if you had'nt reminded me. Fancy the Lamptrimmer doing that to you! I would have had to go and change my underpants if he'd done it to me.
Have you seen the photo with a few of the crew in it which George posted on the site? Good luck with contacting George, Gee I wish we had had this facility available to us sooner. I also wish I had found this site sooner as well. All the best Mike I look forward to your next posting or reply. Cheers Peter

hashcookie
31st July 2006, 10:39
capt. Sladen, aka ' Slasher', I have some memories of that dude!

Doxfordman
31st July 2006, 23:38
I have to say, so do I!!!!!!

hashcookie
21st August 2006, 10:56
not sure who was the worst old man i sailed with, the above Slasher Sladen, or the other NZSco nutter Capt. ''Bugsie'' Moran. Libel laws prohibit me from enlarging further.I am sure there must be a few good stories about nutter captains out there. A new thread?

Tom Haywood
4th September 2006, 00:06
Capt. H.J.D. Sladen was on the suffering "Suffolk" for years, maybe that had something to do with his dispostion.

Mike lawrence
29th October 2006, 12:49
Served on the Surrey from June 58 thru til June 60. Cole Schofield was the officers steward and I was the eng., steward. At one time George Johnson was the 'Old Man's' tiger and I had one trip with Slasher Sladen and three trips with Dai Davies. Good ship good crewleft her reluctanly to serve as 2nd steward on the Cumberland and Hertford. Have tried finding Cole and George but no success. Mike

Mike lawrence
29th October 2006, 17:00
Peter, Joined the Surrey in June 58 had 2 happy years on her. Bunked with Cole Schofield (Officers Stwd). Left in June 60 to take up 2nd Stwds job on the Cumberland. Mike

KellieGower
16th July 2013, 11:19
Mike, I know Colin Schofield. He lives here in Essex. Where i work. His wife popped in as she mistakenly deleted your telephone message and they were absolutely gutted. Please contac them again they are excited for your call..... My telephone number is 01268 511555 or my email is kgower@kingsparkvillage.com
Please please please get in touch c
xxx

Served on the Surrey from June 58 thru til June 60. Cole Schofield was the officers steward and I was the eng., steward. At one time George Johnson was the 'Old Man's' tiger and I had one trip with Slasher Sladen and three trips with Dai Davies. Good ship good crewleft her reluctanly to serve as 2nd steward on the Cumberland and Hertford. Have tried finding Cole and George but no success. Mike