Spamming can be reduced

vasco
9th March 2008, 14:05
by using a combination of letters and numbers.

such as s3a for sea etc. Simlilar to number plates.

This has worked well for me for a couple of years, never had any. Some still slips through to my wife, who complains but wants all letters. Nortons does its bit as well.

benjidog
9th March 2008, 20:08
Not quite sure what you are saying here Vasco - can you explain what you mean?

BTW am moving this thread to the Computers and the Internet Forum as it seems more appropriate there.

Regards,

Brian

vasco
10th March 2008, 15:24
Not quite sure what you are saying here Vasco - can you explain what you mean?

BTW am moving this thread to the Computers and the Internet Forum as it seems more appropriate there.

Regards,

Brian

This thread was a result of reading the earlier one on spam.

A mixture of letters and numbers as an email address seems to rduce spam emails becuse of the extra permutations available, I guess. Believe most spammers automatically create spam addresses by using common names and service providers.

For instance Brian@ntlworld.com.
by substituting number for letters, eg Br1an @ntlworld.com it reduces spam, at least certrainly has in my case. I am no expert, maybe someone can explain the theory better.
Hope this helps, if not I'll try again.

benjidog
10th March 2008, 21:04
I see what you mean Vasco. I have not heard that argument before but it may be well be true.

There is certainly a very strong case for creating passwords with a mixture of letters, numbers and other characters as this is much more difficult to crack. However it is also much more difficult to remember so people tend to write them down.

Regards,

Brian