Waverley

Fairfield
18th May 2005, 08:47
WAVERLEY is approaching her 30th anniversary of preservation,a marvellous achievement.This was taken in 1981 when she was undergoing reboilering when her original boiler was replaced.
Ahead of her can just be seen PRINCE IVANHOE the former Isle of Wight ferry SHANKLIN which sadly grounded and became a total loss.

cambria49
28th May 2005, 23:24
Of course the Shanklin's sister has recently passed to the breakers, the Southsea being towed to Esbjerg.

I spent a couple of months with the Waverley organisation as Assistant Purser back in 1986. At the tender age of 16 I found the paddler to be a delight to sail in, but she wasn't the happy ship the Balmoral was.

I had the luck to be assigned to the Balmoral for her first sailings in preservation, the most memorable being the run along the Gloucester Ship Canal when we took some of the swing bridges with us!
Rgds,
Justin

Bob S
3rd October 2005, 21:09
I took an evening cruise on the River Thames yesterday (2nd October) aboard the preserved paddle steamer WAVERLEY and what a brilliant ship she is. (Applause)

A few photo's, would have taken more but the light faded very fast.

1. Approaching Tilbury landing stage.

Bob S
3rd October 2005, 21:13
2. Paddle power
3. Engine room
4. Approaching Tower Bridge

Gulpers
3rd October 2005, 21:34
Bob S,

Thanks for posting your photographs. They are all excellent, however I particularly like the shot approaching Tower Bridge. All very nostalgic for me since I spent many a happy hour on the Clyde Steamers as a youngster.

Thanks again.

Tmac1720
3rd October 2005, 23:05
This will start a debate no doubt. I've often seen Waverly credited to A&I Inglis shipyard but in fact she was built by Harland and Wolff at their Pointhouse yard. She was yard number 1330P launched 2nd October 1946 delivered 5th June 1947, 693 tons for London and North Eastern Railway Company. I'll keep my head down now. (Night)

Bruce Carson
3rd October 2005, 23:28
The Pointhouse yard belonged to Inglis and that's where the 'Waverley' was born.
H&W's Glasgow yard was across the river at Govan.
H&W did control Inglis from 1919 until the early sixties, but Inglis operated as an independent yard and never used the H&W name.

Bruce C.

Tmac1720
3rd October 2005, 23:47
True but the vessels Inglis produced all were given Harland and Wolff yard numbers ending in "P" The Govan yard used the suffix "G". Even though Inglis didn't use the Harland and Wolff name this was only because of a private agreement between Lord Pirrie chairman of Harland and Wolff and George & James Inglis the last two members of the family on the board of the old company. They both retired in 1947 and never held directorships of Harland and Wolff which I believe disappointed them. Lord Pirrie felt he had gone far enough in agreeing they could keep the old company name and therefore denied them the usual directorships. A&J Inglis therefore wasn't really independant as it would appear and H&W definitely called the shots.

Bruce Carson
4th October 2005, 00:19
What you're alluding to, the yard number, is strictly a minor bookkeeping matter. Personal relationships, real or imagined, private or public, between the corporate officials are interesting but always subject to conjecture and interpretation.
Both have absolutely nothing to do with the builder of record.
I suggest the next time you're on board the 'Waverley' you check the builder's plate.

Bruce C.

fred henderson
4th October 2005, 00:30
The sad thing is that Waverley is in her present splendid condition thanks to the work of George Prior's Great Yarmouth yard and that firm has now also gone out of business.

Fred

Tmac1720
4th October 2005, 18:11
I'd a funny feeling my comments would touch a nerve somewhere, and it would appear I have succeeded. I have seen the builders plate on Waverly, your point being? Fine it indicates the yard she was built in my point was that yard was part of Harland and Wolff. White Star operated the Titanic, IMM owned it and more importantly paid for it. H&W underwrote Inglis operations covered the losses and took the profits ergo it was part of Harland and Wolff it certainly did not operate as a separate company. (I have the company accounts and minutes of board meetings) Shall we agree on a rose by any other name?

neil maclachlan
4th October 2005, 19:38
Hi Gang,
Happy to see some people have managed to put a picture of my favourite river steamer onto the site.I 've tried without success to put a painting of the said vessel onto the site to no avail?I as a apprentice I helped construct the engines for the Waverley,I was then 17 years old. The company who built the engines and boilers was"Rankin and Blackmores---Eagle Foundry--Greenock, Scotland. They are no longer in business,but during their existance built many,triple ,quadruple and compound marine steam engines and boilers, In fact I think they built the worlds first free piston gas turbine. This is a little bit of forgotten information, Ingls built the engine,Rankins built the propulsion unit!So when you go aboard the Waverley whats the first thing you want to see?
Good Sailing
Neil Mac.

ruud
4th October 2005, 20:40
Ahoy Neil,

Found you a painting, don't know the "Artist" A.M
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7652/waverleypaintingoldharryrocks4.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waverleypaintingoldharryrocks4.jpg)
and another one, here's the "Artist" Norman Sandeman
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7789/waverleypaintingnormansandaman.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waverleypaintingnormansandaman.jpg)

Jan Hendrik
5th October 2005, 09:34
Hereby an exceptional nice painting of this paddle steamer.
The information provided states the vessel was built by Inglis Ltd, Glasgow and took to the water in October 1946.
She replaced a previous vessel of the same name which was bombed and sunk with the loss of 300 men.
Originally coal fired , she had a triple expansion diagonal engine of 21,000 hp.
With a displacement of 693 tons on a length of 73.15 metres and with 1000 passengers on board she was designed to steam at over 16 knots.

It was the last paddle steamer to be built on the Clyde and in 1973 her own end seemed certain when she was withdrawn from service.
Fortunately for the 27 year old paddle steamer she was saved from the breakerís yard.
The Paddle Steamer Preservation Society bought her for a nominal sum of One pound Sterling,
The ship is restored to her old railway company livery.

I am not drawn into an argument where the ship was built as I simply do not know and just more or less repeated the info I have.

Artist: John Gardner
copyright: Hempel A/S, Copenhagen 05/94

and Ruud: Got this one for you....

ruud
5th October 2005, 10:42
Ahoy Jan,

Indeed a nice one; but that are mostly all of those "Hempel's"(Thumb)

Fairfield
5th October 2005, 11:20
TMac and Jan have hit the nail on the head both times.Great potted history Jan.Said it all in a few words exactly as it happened.Indeed Inglis' ships all received H&W yard nos with P suffix but it was a separate yard altogether opposite the parent yard at Govan.All swept away now with preparation for a new road and Glasgow/s new Transport and Maritime Heritage Museum as is Yorkhill Quay and Henderson/s Drydock for those who might remember them also.

Tmac1720
5th October 2005, 17:19
Under Pirrie Harland and Wolff was a corporate raider in those days buying up rival shipyards simply to control them and untamately neuter them as effective opposition. They allowed Inglis to keep the name as H&W had every intention of closing the yard as soon as possible. Actually they did the same with Workman Clark here in Belfast and at one time cast a beedy eye towards Cammell Laird and even Swan Hunter. Harland and Wolff owned vast chunks of various shipping lines and Lord Kylsant was a particular confidant of Lord Pirrie. Together they made a formidable duo until the wheels fell off Royal Mail and the whole structure came crashing down. It's a long story but a truely fascinating one.

EMMESSTEE
25th October 2005, 06:00
Bob S -

Super photos, particularly the one approaching the Landing Stage!

---------------------
Mike Triplett.

Alistair Black
6th December 2005, 20:53
Hi Gang,
I as a apprentice I helped construct the engines for the Waverley,I was then 17 years old. The company who built the engines and boilers was"Rankin and Blackmores---Eagle Foundry--Greenock, Scotland. Neil Mac.

Hi Neil, would you by any chance have known a brass finisher by name of Frank Lamont? He was about 5 foot 10, slim built with a shock of red hair.

My reason for asking is that he was my grandfather!

I always remember him telling me about building the engines for Waverley & Bristol Queen. The engine for Maid of the Loch came along a few years later too.

Best regards,

Alistair.

Alistair Black
6th December 2005, 20:56
Hereby an exceptional nice painting of this paddle steamer.
The information provided states the vessel was built by Inglis Ltd, Glasgow and took to the water in October 1946.
She replaced a previous vessel of the same name which was bombed and sunk with the loss of 300 men.
Originally coal fired , she had a triple expansion diagonal engine of 21,000 hp.
With a displacement of 693 tons on a length of 73.15 metres and with 1000 passengers on board she was designed to steam at over 16 knots.

It was the last paddle steamer to be built on the Clyde and in 1973 her own end seemed certain when she was withdrawn from service.
Fortunately for the 27 year old paddle steamer she was saved from the breakerís yard.
The Paddle Steamer Preservation Society bought her for a nominal sum of One pound Sterling,
The ship is restored to her old railway company livery.

I am not drawn into an argument where the ship was built as I simply do not know and just more or less repeated the info I have.

Artist: John Gardner
copyright: Hempel A/S, Copenhagen 05/94

and Ruud: Got this one for you....

Hi Jan, just a couple of wee corrections in your data: she was the last paddle steamer to be built for service on the Clyde, Maid of the Loch was also built at Pointhouse in 1952/53.

Waverley's engine is indeed a powerful piece of machinery but 21,000 hp is a trifle excessive, her indicated horse power is actually 2,100 which is sufficient to still push her to over 17 knots on occasions!

Alistair.

Tom Morton
6th December 2005, 22:40
WOW----the Waverly !! As a youngster in Helensburgh we took many trips on the Waverly and the two other paddle steamers that were based at Craigendoran pier---The 'Jeannie Deans' and the 'Talisman'
Great memories. Believe I may have a photo of the Jeannie Deans somewhere ?

Jan Hendrik
8th December 2005, 00:07
Alistair,
I more or less copied the information I had on the vessel and you could be quite right on the construction of Maid of the Loch at a later date, I do not know.
With regard to 21,000 hp versus 2,100, then also the first one appears on the calender , but you are quite correct as a vessel this size could never have a whopping 21,000 hp.
So 2,100 must be the right figure.
Thanks for this corrective information. There are few more similar paintings on that calender and I will post these as soon as I get a moment.
Others are: Natchez, Goethe,Memnon and few more.
Jan

bobby388
1st January 2006, 02:45
if anyone is interested shes been moved from her berth at finnieston across the water to a new berth at the science centre(apoligise if this has been reported havnt seen it) Bobby Glasgow

agentroadrunner
3rd February 2006, 22:38
The old Plantation Quay is her new (temporary) home. Glasgow Council or someone with great imagination has renamed it "Pacific Quay" but if anything ever leaves there for the Pacific I'll eat my hat!!!

She is eventually to move back to the North bank when all the development is complete, very close to where Glenlee is at the moment.

Phill
8th October 2006, 18:39
I took the Family on the short trip from Tower Pier to Tilbury (07.10.2006) thinking I should of booked the full trip to Harwich and the river Orwell, for an Octoberís day the trip was brilliant, the ship herself is a spotlessly smart, with a very efficient crew, all readily available to answer your questions,(Thumb)
On the trip were a large group of Paddle steamer preservation society members, perhaps one day a group from Ships Nostalgia, that would be nice?

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/index.htm (http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/index.htm)

Phill

treeve
9th October 2006, 00:52
I took these some years ago on a "steam" camera,
but I have no real idea as to when this was.
I seem to remember she used to run cruises around this neck of the
woods. I wish we had digital cameras then!!

agentroadrunner
26th October 2006, 20:11
Thanks for those comments Phill, glad you enjoyed the trip and hope you will travel on her again.

Andy.

Gulpers
26th October 2006, 20:36
Lots of Waverley video clips on YouTube. Search for "Waverley". (Applause)

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pejb59ky2xk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhsuFmlRs50&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDpV8r0kP_I

Phill
28th October 2006, 12:38
Andy(Applause)(Applause)

Many thanks to the Waverley, the trip was excellent, great value for money, and the bacon rolls were top notch.
We will be travelling on her, first possible chance next year, when do I book the bridge visit?????????????

Phill

agentroadrunner
28th October 2006, 22:50
Phill, Thanks again for your kind comments, I have known the ship all my life but only started working there earlier this year. We are all very proud of her and she is kept to the best possible standards given constraints placed on us by the timetable & hours of rest regulations.

She will be back on the Thames same time next year, I don't know yet if I will be there but you need only ask for a bridge visit and unless there is a good reason to make it impracticle it will normally be granted.

Andy

kepowee
29th October 2006, 13:05
hi all if anyones intrrested i have about 20 photos of the waverly taken this summer when she came into porthcawl i am very new to this site and i dont know how add atachments kepowee

kepowee
31st October 2006, 10:15
hi all i have about 20 photos of the waverly taken in july when she came into porthcawl if you e mail me ill send them to you powell917@btinternet.com all the best ken powell

ruud
8th November 2006, 02:01
Ahoy,
Just got me quit a few ferry/paddlers, most taken by Alex Duncan, but couldn't resist to post this lovely lady, photo was shot in 1979, not sure where it was taken, but she looked fine.

Eucadi7a
23rd November 2006, 02:31
I was a Pantry Boy on the "Waverly" in 1953. We left from Craigendoran and on different days we had a different sched. One day a week we went to Arran, Brodick when we used to get a taste of the Atlantic swells!
Another day we did the Kyles of Bute, Loch Goilhead. I remember picking up "wee hauf" glesses in the bar after the thirsty Glasgow ship building workers had left.
My grandmother had a "But and ben" in Rothesay so we were on all the current vessels including the Talisman. Jeanie Deans, King George V and the McBrayne boats.

nhp651
23rd November 2006, 09:54
they still do all of those trips Eucadi7a, each summer during July /august.We holiday in Largs every summer and the highlights of those two weeks is to sail on the magnificently kept and run ship.she really is a wonder of the age,and so lovely to travel on.If you get over these parts again,you must make a trip one of your goals.wouldn't miss it,and already booked my two weeks for next year.Long may she sail those beautiful waters of the Clyde!

Nairda59
23rd November 2006, 20:28
And just for good measure gentlemen, here is a photo taken from my wee boat chasing her at 17.5 knots (gps verified) on Loch Fynne this past summer

JonHorridge
1st February 2013, 00:17
I remember visiting my Grandfather in Wootton. We came across from Portsmouth to Ryde on the 9th of March 1973. As usual we set off to walk the length of the pier to catch the bus. Part way along, peering through the thick fog we spotted a diversion sign and were directed up onto some sort of catwalk beside the railway line, then back down onto the wooden planks of the road again. When we arrived at my Grandfather's house he had the evening news on the television. It was all about the Shanklin's collision with Ryde pier. I seem to remember them interviewing the driver of a taxi that had driven over the edge and they were asking him what he had to say. He answered, "Well I had to be very careful, my passenger was a vicar". Can anyone confirm this?

alanst500
6th February 2014, 16:07
Hi does anyone have a picture of the SS Craigendoran which was torpedoed in 1917