Anyone remember Tommy Barr.

Ben Boat Jim
11th March 2008, 22:06
I was wondering if any of you ex Ben Boat men, remember Tommy Barr.
He was Mate on the 'Macdhui" in October 1956 when I was "Peggy" on her, and my recollection of him... was a thorough gentleman and an outright "Toff".
I found a photo of him in Skippers uniform sitting in the saloon of some Ben boat, and would dearly love to know if he is still with us.
P.S......The video of the "Bens" brings a tear to the eye it is one of my treasured memories of so long ago.

forthbridge
12th March 2008, 19:12
I sailed with him on the Vorlich in the early 1960s and later did some coasts with him but have not heard of him for a long time.

EBenarty
20th March 2008, 23:11
I was wondering if any of you ex Ben Boat men, remember Tommy Barr.
He was Mate on the 'Macdhui" in October 1956 when I was "Peggy" on her, and my recollection of him... was a thorough gentleman and an outright "Toff".
I found a photo of him in Skippers uniform sitting in the saloon of some Ben boat, and would dearly love to know if he is still with us.
P.S......The video of the "Bens" brings a tear to the eye it is one of my treasured memories of so long ago.

Yes, Tommy Barr was a gentleman, I sailed with him on his retirement voyage and we had a silver chipping hammer made for him as he was allways out chipping something.

Ben Boat Jim
20th March 2008, 23:18
Thanks lads for the info about Tommy Barr....I always wondered what became of him.
Kindest Regards Jim Morrison

bobbarr
22nd March 2008, 21:17
Thanks lads for the info about Tommy Barr....I always wondered what became of him.
Kindest Regards Jim Morrison

Tommy was my uncle and he is no longer with us, I have very happy memories of visiting his ship in Singapore and being allowed to view it - I was a seventeen year soldier in 1965-I remeber the fod was great and I was amazed at the sight of two railway locomotives tucked away in one corner of a hold.
My brother was also for a time with the Ben Line starting off as a Cadet, he died in Alabama some two yearsago.

forthbridge
22nd March 2008, 21:26
Was your brother Donald Barr? I remember a cadet of that name in the sixties though not sure if i sailed with him. Remember a night out in edinburgh with him though.

bobbarr
22nd March 2008, 21:40
Was your brother Donald Barr? I remember a cadet of that name in the sixties though not sure if i sailed with him. Remember a night out in edinburgh with him though.

Yes, my brother was Donald and we came from Stornoway. Latterly he lived and worked on Dauphin Island off the coast of Alabama. There is a ferry boat operating to Fort Gaines across Mobile Bay and he was jack of all trades covering for all and sundry from what I gathered, but principally as a deck hand but covered for the skipper when necessary - he was very happy there.