Copying Video DVD's

Trevorw
12th March 2008, 20:46
I have several video DVD's of my grandchildren (downloaded from a video camera) and their parents have asked for a copy.
When I insert a disc into my computer and select, "My computer/DVD drive" I get no option to copy it.
I've tried Media Player and Ripping, but this only works for audio DVD's (not video).
Can anyone advise me how to copy a video DVD to my hard disc and then burn a new DVD from it?

Orbitaman
12th March 2008, 20:56
On most computers, it is not possible to copy a DVD to the hard drive and then onto a new DVD. Generally, the only option is to have a PC with two DVD drives, one read only or writable and the other writable.

You can buy a USB DVD re-writer for about 50 from the well known suppliers, and assuming you have a dvd drive on your PC, you can copy DVD to DVD using this device.

K urgess
12th March 2008, 21:14
Did you not get some software with the video camera?
Something like Pinnacle Studio or such would allow you to do it.
You should be able to copy the DVD files to your hard drive and then copy them to a blank DVD.
It all depends on what format they are in AVI or MPEG or whatever.

Cheers
Kris

Trevorw
12th March 2008, 21:26
Thanks guys, the answer to both responses is, no! My Video camera is a basic model, but I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder which can copy my VHS tapes onto DVD. This I have done, but like a prat, having done that I binned the VHS tapes!
The only thing I can think of now is to use my Panasonic to copy DVD to VHS and then reverse the procedure by copying the VHS onto DVD.
Woe is Me!!

K urgess
12th March 2008, 21:43
Can you play the DVD on your computer, Trevor?
If you can you should be able to just copy the file onto your PC and then back to a blank DVD.
From what I can see they should be in Mpeg format.

Kris

Bruce Carson
12th March 2008, 22:16
Trevor, if you can't play the DVD on your computer, there is a chance, when you recorded it on your DVD recorder, you didn't finalize the disc.
If that's the case, you may play it on the machine it was recorded on, but not on any other machine.
It may be worth a try to go back to the recorder and finalize the disc.

Bruce

K urgess
12th March 2008, 22:47
Well spotted, Bruce.
Never thought of that and I'd had the same problem not too long ago. (Whaaa)
Kris

benjidog
12th March 2008, 23:51
If you can finalise the DVD so you can view it on your PC you will need a software package such as Ahead Nero -though you may find some freeware on the Net that would do it if you do a search.

Brian

Trevorw
13th March 2008, 00:40
It was finalised, I can play it on my PC, but I still can't save it to my hard disc. All the freeware packages I got on Google are for audio DVD's, guys, I'm stumped!

K urgess
13th March 2008, 00:46
Can you explore the disk by looking in My Computer and right clicking on the DVD?
Are you allowing Windows to show you file types?
If you can explore it what are the file types?

Kris

GWB
13th March 2008, 00:46
Buy a Mac it comes with the lot and works,

GWB

K urgess
13th March 2008, 00:49
That doesn't really answer the current problem though does it.

kottemann
13th March 2008, 01:27
Right click on the drive that holds the disk eg g:\ and click open you should now see your file displayed on the screen go to your desktop right click and create a new folder eg family video. Copy and paste the files from your dvd drive window to the new folder. Now get yourself a copy of nero 8 there is an apllication within it called nero burning rom were you can make compilation DVDs you simply add your files to a compilation list and click burn with a blank dvd in the rewriter, good luck

Bruce Carson
13th March 2008, 03:54
Trevor, try this:
Go to CNet download
http://www.download.com/
and search for "burners" in the search box.
Refine your search.(all Oss) windows xp or whatever you have as your operating system: then (all licenses) free and hit the filter button.
You now have a selection of free burners to transfer your original DVD contents to a new disc.
I have used Deep Burner and have found no problems with it.
I'm surprised that your computer was not loaded, when new, with a basic burning progrqam--either Nero, Sonic or another freebie.
A caveat: it is mandatory that, before loading alien programs from internet sites, you have your machine protected by anti virus and spyware programs.

Bruce

rickles23
13th March 2008, 06:03
DVD Shrink is a free program that will copy just about anything on a dvd.
Regards

vasco
13th March 2008, 10:16
May seem obvious, do you still have the Camera tapes?

If so copy them direct to your dvd using your combi.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but I have found myself chasing technology unnecessary.

Trevorw
13th March 2008, 14:54
Gentlemen

Thankyou all for your unstinting help. I've now solved my problem! DVD Shrink copied them OK, but wouldn't play on a DVD Player. Then, whilst messing about I discovered I'd got Nero installed on my PC. Ran it through there and Geronimo - perfect copies and fully compatible with my DVD player
Many thanks, once again.

pier
9th September 2008, 07:55
if you buy freeview bos with build harddrive copy film off video camera as i have done