Hello Everyone.

RCHARLTON
18th May 2005, 15:33
Just registered with the site. My name is Ray Charlton and I started as an engineering cadet with Cunard in 1966. Sailed on Saxonia, Markhor, Mahseer, Atlantic Conveyor and Mahsud. Have lived in the States since 1971 when I left the sea. I am particularly interested in tracking down an old friend of mine named Dick Ward. He sailed on the Media and ended his sea-going career as Chief Engineer on ACT III. Last time I saw him he was living in the Nottingham area.

julian anstis
18th May 2005, 16:06
Welcome aboard there Ray,

Hope you enjoy the site and all it has to offer, plenty of help around if you have problems navigating the site or posting all those old ship's photo's you have in the attic.

Julian

Marcus Cardew
18th May 2005, 17:21
Hi Ray,
Welcome to the site! I think the're all mad.
Apart from the Mahsud, I sailed on all those boats.
When I was serving my time,then I sailed with the following Eng. Apps. :Alan Adamson, Derek Carter, Chris Dobson, Dave Preston, Dave Coombs, did you ever come across any of them?

Ron B Manderson
18th May 2005, 17:50
Hi Ray,
When I was serving my time,then I sailed with the following Eng. Apps. :Alan Adamson, Derek Carter, Chris Dobson, Dave Preston, Dave Coombs, did you ever come across any of them?
welcome
We are not all mad !I'm Lucky I'm the sane one lol

But It sure does help to be

Ron

RCHARLTON
18th May 2005, 18:18
Hi Ray,
Hi Marcus,
The only name I recognise is Dave Coombs. As I recall he was a year ahead of me in the cadet program but I never sailed with him.

Ray

Steve
18th May 2005, 20:31
Hello Ray welcome to SN

RCHARLTON
19th May 2005, 01:22
Not you too! I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one.

Ray Charl..

thunderd
20th May 2005, 00:00
Welcome Ray, I myself only found this site a couple of weeks ago and they are correct in what they say - they are all mad.....mad about anything to do with ships, just try and test them on some totally remote fact about ships and you'll see what I mean.

A word of warning though about this site, it is totally addictive.[U]

CRoger
23rd May 2005, 17:35
Marcus
I sailed with Dave Coombs on the Markhor, along with Hammy Hamilton (Sparks) and Pete Minican (Leckie). Can't remember when lost too many grey cells to Gordon's G & T.
Anyway Dave Coombs is currently in charge of Ice plant at KinlochBervie on north west of scotland. He lives at "******", by Dornoch, Sutherland with his wife Anne. Tel No - ******** (you should get him at ****** when he is home from work.)
Regards
Cameron Roger

flyer682
23rd May 2005, 19:17
I quite agree Dave and have perhaps taken a liberty by deleting the information before too many see it.

Marcus Cardew
23rd May 2005, 19:30
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the heads up on Dave Coombs, (stand fast the asterisk's). I remember spending happy days with Pete Miniken as well, esp. in Middlesborough back in August/Sept '70, with one and only Capt. Pem & Co. on the Markhor.....

..and I agree with the addictive bit....
Cheers!
Marcus

michael james
23rd May 2005, 19:50
David Shepherd - Super Mod. Well done on that, such information given out globally is ill advised in this day and age.... unfortunately. Mike J

michael james
23rd May 2005, 20:02
Hi Ray, Welcome to this great site. Dave Coombs ring bells with me tho` I never sailed with him, there again I didnt sail on the ships you were on, but the chaps on this site may well be able to help you find out where/when latest news, for your lost-touch shipmates. Good luck
MikeJ

RCHARLTON
23rd May 2005, 22:19
Hi Cameron,
By the time I read your post the contact info was removed. Probably a very good idea. If you are still in touch with Dave you might ask him if he remembers Dave "Fido" McPhie. He was at Birkenhead Tech from 1965 to 1967 and was assigned to the QE2 along with his pal Dave Ross, possibly the first engineering apprentices on her. I ran across him a number of years ago when he was working as an engineer for a large cake bakery on Long Island. He later bought his own small retail bakery on Long Island and is still there. I haven't been it touch with him for quite a while but am pretty sure I could contact him if anybody would like to get in touch with him.

I also sailed with Pete Minican on the Markhor, a great guy. As I recall his cabin was the hub of all social activity on board.

Ray

RCHARLTON
25th May 2005, 19:36
Here is a picture I recently aquired of the Mahsud taken in the English Channel. Since she didn't spend a lot of time in European waters I suspect this may have been taken in early 1971 after we had spent several weeks in Rotterdam while the main Renk gear wheel was removed and sent back to Renk for repair after numerous cracks had been discovered in the teeth.

R58484956
17th June 2005, 14:49
What a super photograph.Thanks

ian jackson
17th June 2005, 15:40
I remember Pete Miniken on the Maipura. Daft as a brush and always game for a laugh. Remember having a competition in the bar one night (of many)with him and Mike Wild to see who could do the most pushups. I beat him easily and earned a case of beer. Mind you couldn't do enough now to raise a sweat still it catches up with us all eventually