changed days benline office

binliner
15th March 2008, 17:53
my wife and I-- both over 60 --took advantage of our free bus travel card (curtesy of fife council) and had a day out in edinburgh during the week.
decided to walk from princess street to the concrete monstrosity that is the scottish parliament via st.marys street and walk past what was the benline office for old times sake. the whole building is now a travellodge city hotel kind of apt as it allowed us to travel and get paid for it during the 60s&70s .
Wonder what happened to the model of the "Reoch drillrig that used to sit in the entrance?

George Simpson
9th July 2009, 18:23
binliner I'm sure the last time I seen it was in Stena Drillings offices in Aberdeen.

chadburn
10th July 2009, 17:37
I went for an interview at the office in Edinburgh around 1961 when I walked in it was like something out of a Dickens novel with high desks I expected someone to point the way to the Office I was going to with a quill pen.

airman
11th July 2009, 17:47
How right to say it was out of dickens novel 10 north st david st. entered a different world to a company who look after you.

Joe Freeman
13th July 2009, 00:41
I remember going through to Edinburgh from Glasgow in August 1965 for an interview at 10 North St. David's Street. I was very impressed with the building and the Brass nameplate on the doors. Shortly afterward I received a voucher for a train ticket to London and a notice to join the MV Benvalla on September 9th. 1965 I thank at the Royal Albert Docks. Like you said, we entered a new world and very exciting one for me.

forthbridge
14th July 2009, 00:15
I went for an interview with Mr A C Hill at 10 North St Davids Street in November 1958. Was impressed with the office but even more so that he gave me expenses of 5 shillings when my train fare from Fife was only 2/6.
In December I received a letter and travel warrant to join Benvorlich at SW India Docks in January. In the next 4 months I learned more about life than I had in the previous 20 years.

celsis
2nd August 2009, 11:31
I went for an interview with Mr A C Hill at 10 North St Davids Street in November 1958. Was impressed with the office but even more so that he gave me expenses of 5 shillings when my train fare from Fife was only 2/6.
In December I received a letter and travel warrant to join Benvorlich at SW India Docks in January. In the next 4 months I learned more about life than I had in the previous 20 years.

I was a bit later, early 70s, and we had to go to Bernard Street. I remember paying off the Vorlich in '75, with a 'note on owners' and going down to the office to get paid, with my mother! She was amazed that I was paid in cash and then when we left, a taxi pulled up and a very drunk Willie Corkish literally fell out the cab! She was moritified!

Ah, good days!

Waighty
1st June 2011, 17:55

Because I was one of the Sassenachs from the deep south (Dover) who joined in 1966 I was interviewed on the Benloyal in West India Docks (F Shed) by one of the marine supers but I can't recall his name. It was a good day as I got the full tour of the ship and some good tips about what I could expect as a cadet with the ocean greyhounds of the far east trades.

petemac46
2nd June 2011, 10:23
Very impressed when i ventured in to 10 North St David St in May 63 and was given a job as cadet at a wage of 19-18 11.

Mike Hemmington
6th September 2012, 23:14
Also remember 10 North St David St for all the right reasons, had an interview with Eng' Superintendant Mr. H Paton. A few days after arriving home a box of braid arrived the start of a great adventure around July 1965.

Cheers
Mike

BLINDCRAKE
7th September 2012, 08:12
Also remember 10 North St David St for all the right reasons, had an interview with Eng' Superintendant Mr. H Paton. A few days after arriving home a box of braid arrived the start of a great adventure around July 1965.

Cheers
Mike

This all sounds like an action replay for me only except for the date which was September 1967. Did a coast and six voyages on the Benarmin during 1968 and 1969. Happy days.

Blindcrake.

Mike Hemmington
8th September 2012, 01:05
Hi Blindcake,
Thanks for that, I agree absolutley

Kind Regards

Mike

This all sounds like an action replay for me only except for the date which was September 1967. Did a coast and six voyages on the Benarmin during 1968 and 1969. Happy days.

Blindcrake.

oldman 80
8th September 2012, 06:57
My interview early 1963 (May I think) was with Captain Robb, in the offices at 10 North Saint David Street.
A Great Company - if not the best.
And yes Monthly wage 1st year cadet 19 Pounds 18shillings and eleven pence.
Never paid off with very much money - the Far East ate it up quite quickly - so many new things to learn about as a 16/17 year old Ben Line Cadet. (Smoke)

Brummiepete
14th December 2012, 09:05
I travelled from Cardiff for my interview at 10 North St David Street in 1958. I was at the Reardon Smith Nautical College at the time, however, I was from Birmingham as you will see from my nickname. I had trouble understanding the directions to the office from the Princess Street Station (I think it was) but it was a mutual experience for the couple who I asked. I don't remember much about the interview but I later joined my first ship Benvenue in Liverpool on 15 August 1958. I think that I was the first Sassenach Cadet in the company - unless of course someone else knows better. I left in March 1969.

hashcookie
8th January 2013, 06:49
I had just completed my pre sea training on TS Dolphin in Leith, went for interview at 10 North St David street . Do you remember the board in the window with the name and position of all their ships. Got the job, joined (i am sure it was SS) Benavon two weeks later,and so began the wonderful life at sea. Very happy days

David M Edes
23rd March 2014, 21:47
I remember going to 10 North St David's St , you could watch a marble accelerate along the corridor , then slabs started falling off the front of the Building!
At that point the office closed and they moved to 29 Bernard St, ( old Salveson offices I think)
They were there for a while before moving to 33 St Mary's St!

roymuir
24th March 2014, 00:56
They moved to St Mary's Street in the late 70's. About '78 I think.

Ian329
18th October 2014, 07:47
I went for my interview in Bernard street in Leith around June 1973. Posted to the Bencairn sailing out of Royal Albert dock September the same year.

gordy
19th October 2014, 16:55
1966, fresh out of Fairfields, I think I stunned the interviewer a bit when I announced I'd need time to think over his offer of a job!
"Why" he asked, "because I'm awaiting replies from other companies I've applied to"
"And who might these other companies be?", he asked
"Well, one is Blue Funnel line"
"Then I suggest you join them!" was his curt reply.
Don't remember getting any travel expenses (Jester)