4th December 2009, 14:18
This tramp shipping company was founded in 1905 by Philip Edward Haldinstein as Haldinstein & Co. Ltd. and based in London.
His ships were all called after country houses with the suffix 'Court', his first tramp ship was completed in November of that year as ARLINGTON COURT.
Only one ship was lost during World War 1, the ILVINGTON COURT which was torpedoed and sunk near Cape Shershel in 1915, Philip Edward Haldinstein changed his name in Haldin in 1915
The fleet expanded greatly in the 1920s and was badly affected by the depression at the start of the depression the company consisted of twenty six mostly new tramps, and some twenty vessels had to be laid up.
The whole fleet of twenty six tramps was registered in 1929 under the United British Steamship Co. Ltd., except for the new DALLINGTON COURT which was registered under an old company called Framlington Syndicate Ltd.
Also in 1929 Laurence Richard Philipps joined with Philip Haldin to form Haldin Philipps Ltd. who remain the managers until 1948 when Sir Laurence retired and the company reverted to Haldin & Co.
A fleet of twenty four tramps were owned at the outbreak of World War 2 and thirtheen were to be lost during that conflict.
A newbuilding programme got underway in 1952 with the completion of BARRINGTON COURT (3) and FRAMLINGTON COURT (3) from Wear shipyards.
Shipowning became a smaller part of activities within the Court Line Group and the company moved into bulk carriers and tankers in the 1960s.
The company changed its naming scheme with new vessels having the prefix 'Halcyon' and also its livery. The group's diversified interests in airlines, package holidays, shipbuilding and repairing led to cash flow problems. As a result it went into liquidation in 1974.
The Sunderland shipyards owned by the Group were taken over by the Government.
Name Built Builder History Tons
Arlington Court (1) 1905 R. Stephenson & Co., Newcastle 1917 sold to Mitchell Steamship Co., London renamed Penylan, 1919 sold to Ferrier & Rees renamed Penrhos, 1925 sold to A. Parodi renamed Zovetto, 1927 sold to Essex Line (Meldrum & Swinson) renamed Essex Knoll, 1933 scrapped at Pola. 4,346
Barrington Court (1) 1906 Palmers & Co. Ltd., Newcastle on Tyne 1917 sold to the Shipping Controller ( mgrs Williams & Mordey) renamed Margam Abbey, 4,367
Cressington Court (1) 1908 Richardson Duck & Co, Stockton 1918 sold to Sutherland Steam Ship Co., Newcastle renamed Roxburgh, 1922 sold to Tyneside Shipping Co. (J. Ridley & Son & Tully) not renamed, 1924 sold to Carras Bros renamed Fotini, 1925 renamed Fotini Carras, 1935 sold to Westbourne Shipping Co. and scrapped as Hillcote. 4,396
Dorington Court (1) 1908 R. Stephenson & Co., Newcastle 1913 sold to P. Gjerding, Bergen, Norway renamed Vally, 1914 sold to Norwegian America Line renamed Romsdalfjord, 1920 wrecked off Sambro Island. 4,426
Errington Court (1) 1909 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 1919 sold to Leeston Shipping Co., London renamed Bournemouth, 1920 sold renamed Despina, 1938 sold to Wheelock & Co., Shanghai renamed Deslock, 8.12.1941 seized by Japanese at Yokohama, 1942 renamed Uzan Maru, 2.5.1942 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Trout. 4,461
Framlington Court (1) 1911 Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn 1922 sold to Pindos Teamship Co., Greece renamed Cleanthis, 3.12.1942 torpedoed shelled and sunk by German submarine U.181 with the loss of 12 lives. 4,153
Geddington Court (1) 1912 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 1927 sold to Greece renamed Pontos, 1936 sold to Vergottis, London renamed Icarion, 26.1.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.754 with the loss of 9 lives. 3,989
Hannington Court (1) 1912 J. Priestman, Sunderland 1936 sold to Achille Lauro, Naples renamed Elios, 1940 seized by Great Britain renamed Empire Brigade, 18.10.1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.99 with the loss of 6 lives. 5,166
Ilvington Court (1) 1911 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Ex Dalebank, 1913 purchased renamed Ilvington Court, 6.12.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine near Shershel. 4,217
Dorington Court (2) 1915 Richardson Duck & Co, Stockton 1937 sold Ernesto Gerarci, London renamed Laleham, 1939 sold to Jos Fritzen & Sohn, Stettin, Germany renamed Harm Fritzen, 1948 scuttled with poison gas shells. 4,818
Framlington Court (2) 1924 Napier & Miller Ltd., Glasgow 1945 sold to Stanhope Steamship Co. (J.A. Billmeir & Co.), London renamed Stancourt, 1952 sold to Lansdowne & Co., Hong Kong renamed Landscape, 1952 sold to A. Magsaysay Inc., Philippines renamed Ami Banker, 1955 sold to Eddie Steamship Co., Formosa renamed Ally, 1958 scrapped at Keelung. 4,888
Arlington Court (2) 1924 Workman Clark & Co, Belfast 16.11.1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.43 while in convoy SL7 with the loss of 12 lives. 4,915
Barrington Court (2) 1924 Workman Clark & Co, Belfast 1948 sold to La Tunisienne Steam Nav. Co., London ( Frank C. Strick) renamed Leon de Nervo, 1951 sold to Puerto Rico renamed Electric, 12.8.1960 stranded and lost. 4,910
Ilvington Court (2) 1919 Hong Kong & Whampoa Dock Co., Kowloon Launched as War Sniper but completed as Meandros for S.H.Iossifoglu, Piraeus, Greece, ex Icolos 1920, 1924 purchased from Hellenic Transport SS Co., Piraeus renamed Ilvington Court, 26.8.40 torpedoed and sunk by Italian submarine Dandolo at 37.14N 21.52W on passage Pepel to Glasgow. 5,187
Cedrington Court 1918 Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast Ex War Viper built for the Shipping Controller, ex Cabotia 1919, 1925 purchased from Anchor Donaldson Line renamed Cedrington Court, 7.1.1940 mined and sunk near Goodwin Sands. 5,160
Errington Court (2) 1925 Workman Clark & Co, Belfast 1947 sold to J. Livanos & Sons, Greece renamed Tharros, 1950 sold to Faros Shipping Co. renamed Athene, 1954 sold to S. Tuillier renamed Navidad, 1965 scrapped. 4,913
Jevington Court (1) 1925 Workman Clark & Co, Belfast 24,2.1940 mined and sunk near Cromer Knoll Light Vessel. 4,544
Kensington Court 1927 Napier & Miller Ltd., Glasgow 18.9.1939 shelled and sunk by German submarine U.32. 4,863
Lavington Court (1) 1920 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland Ex Vincenzo Florio, 1927 purchased renamed Lavington Court, 1937 sold to Atlas Reederei AG, Emden, Germany renamed Afrika, 10.4.1940 sunk by artillery off Ulvik, Norway. 6,569
Mersington Court 1920 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Ex Giovanna Florio, 1927 purchased renamed Mersington Court, 15.4.1940 sunk at Narvik, wreck refloated sold and used as a hulk in Belgium. 5,141
Nollington Court 1924 Richardson Duck & Co, Stockton Ex Conistone, 1927 purchased from Charles Radcliffe, Cardiff renamed Nollington Court, 26.11.1937 lost after grounding near Tortuga. 6,097
Ovington Court 1924 Richardson Duck & Co, Stockton Ex Amblestone, 1927 purchased from Charles Radcliffe, Cardiff renamed Ovington Court, 26.11.1940 wrecked on Durban Beach. 6,095
Pennington Court 1924 Richardson Duck & Co, Stockton Ex Rochdale, 1927 purchased from Charles Radcliffe, Cardiff renamed Pennington Court, 9.10.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.254 and lost with whole crew. 6,098
Geddington Court (2) 1928 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 1951 sold to Kyoritsu Kisen, Japan renamed Kyoho Maru, 1971 scrapped in Japan. 6,903
Quarrington Court (1) 1928 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 7.12.1937 sank in Red Sea after engine room leak. 6,900
Rossington Court 1928 Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Glasgow 13.3.1940 sunk in collision with s/s ATHELVIKING. 6,922
Sinnington Court 1928 Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle on Tyne 1951 sold to Hinode Kisen, Japan renamed Atago Maru, 1955 soldto Miyachi Kisen renamed Fukuzan Maru, 26.10.1961 sank near Guam after hull split. 6,910
Tilsington Court 1928 Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle on Tyne 1950 sold to L. Pittaluga, Italy renamed Campania, 1961 scrapped at La Spezia. 6,910
Uffington Court 1929 Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland 1952 sold to H. Lundgren, Sweden renamed Svarten, 1960 sold to Wheelock & Marden renamed Ocean Pride, 1963 sold renamed Fu An, 1967 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 4,976
Wellington Court 1930 Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland 1952 sold to Wheelock & Marden renamed Wellington, 1968 sold renamed Pung Jeng, 1969 scrapped at Inchon. 4,979
Aldington Court (1) 1929 Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland 31.10.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.172 with the loss of 34 lives. 4,891
Bonnington Court 1929 R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow 19.1.1941 bombed and sunk by German aircraft in Thames Estuary with the loss of 2 lives. 4,909
Cressington Court (2) 1929 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 19.8.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.510 with the loss of 8 lives. 4,971
Dallington Court 1929 Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle 1950 sold to J.D. Paleocrassas, Panama renamed Irene, 1965 scrapped at Ghent. 6,889
Darlington Court 1936 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow 20.5.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.556 while in convoy HX126 with the loss of 25 lives. 4,974
Dorington Court (3) 1938 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 24.11.1942 torpedoed by German submarine U.181 with the loss of 4 lives, abandoned and later shelled and sunk. 5,281
Hannington Court (1) 1939 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland 13,7.1941 on fire and later shelled and sunk by British cruiser. 5,449
Lavington Court (2) 1940 Harland & Wolff Ltd, Glasgow 19.7.1942 torpedoed by German submarine U.564 while in convoy OS34 with the loss of 6 lives, taken in tow and later foundered. 5,372
Cressington Court (3) 1944 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland Ex Empire Earl built for MOWT managed by Dodd, Thomson & Co., 1945 purchased renamed Cressington Court, 1947 transferred to United British Steamship Co. Ltd, 1959 sold to West Wales SS Co. (Gibbs & Co.) renamed East Wales, 1966 sold to Dalkeith Shipping Co., Hong Kong renamed Universal Skipper, 1970 scrapped at Whampoa, China. 7,359
Aldington Court (2) 1944 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland Ex Empire Lord built for MOWT managed by W.Runciman & Co., 1946 purchased renamed Aldington Court, 1947 transferred to 1947 United British Steamships Ltd.(Haldin & Co.), 1952 transferred to Court Line Ltd., 1959 sold to Cosmar Shipping Corp, Monrovia renamed Anacreon, 1966 sold to Zirda Cia. Nav., Panama renamed White Daisy, 1967 to Garden City Shipping Co., Panama, 1968 sold to Cia. Nav. Rivabella, Panama renamed Robertina, 15.6.1970 sprang leak off Cape Palmas and beached Cape Garraway and declared total loss. 7,359
Dorington Court (4) 1940 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland Ex Empire Meteor built for MOWT managed by Mungo Campbell & Co., 1942 management changed to Haldin & Philipps, 1946 purchased renamed Dorington Court, 1956 sold to I.N.S.A. Soc.di Nav. Genoa renamed Giada, 1960 sold to Phoebus D. Kyprianou, Lebanon renamed Sheikh, 2.10.1961 ashore and broke in two Kita Daito Jima. 7,454
Errington Court (3) 1945 Caledon ShipBuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Ex Empire Favour built for MOWT managed by Clark & Service, ex Epsom 1947, 1950 purchased from Britain SS Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.) renamed Errington Court, 1956 sold to Cia de Nav. Penelope, Panama renamed Penelope, 1964 sold to Dalia Cia. Nav., Panama renamed Andromachi, 25.6.1969 damaged and set on fire by Israeli shelling at Suez, 1976 scrapped at Adabiah, Suez. 7,056
Barrington Court (3) 1952 Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland 1963 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London renamed Ashoka Jayanti, 1970 sold renamed Yannis, 1974 sold renamed Blue Pearl, 1975 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,033
Framlington Court (3) 1952 Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland 1962 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London renamed Laxmi Jayanti, 1970 sold renamed Spyros, 14.5.1973 sank in Bay of Bengal. 5,754
Geddington Court (3) 1954 Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland 1962 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London renamed Rama Jayanti, 1975 sold renamed Rama, 1976 scrapped at Bombay. 8,357
Hannington Court (2) 1954 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland 1962 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London renamed Gandhi Jayanti, 1974 sold renamed Gandhi, 1976 scrapped at Bombay. 6,266
Jevington Court (2) 1956 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland 1962 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London renamed Krishna Jayanti, 1975 Shankara, 1975 scrapped at Bombay. 6,248
Dorington Court (5) 1957 Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland 1963 sold renamed Eva, 14.7.1976 badly damaged by fire and scrapped at Hamburg. 6,223
Errington Court (4) 1957 Austin & Pickersgill Sunderland Ltd., Wear 1963 sold renamed Ratna Chandralekha, 1972 to India Steamship Co. renamed Indian Endeavour, 1975 Tamil Periyarever, 1981 scrapped at Calcutta. 8,176
Cressington Court (4) 1961 J. Boel & Zn, Temse Bulkcarrier, ex Hector Halcyon, 1961 purchased from Hector Whaling, London renamed Cressington Court, 1966 sold to Chr. Salvesen, Leith renamed Inverleith, 1974 sold to Johnson Nav. Co., Panama renamed Manchester, 1981 renamed Manhattan, 1982 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 15,628
Arlington Court (3) 1962 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland 1963 sold renamed Southgate, 1970 sold renamed Gela, 1984 sold renamed Cyclopus, 1986 scrapped. 9,571
Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. II, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1991.
vBulletin® v3.6.8, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.