Where Have All The Purser's Gone??

ken carr
17th March 2008, 14:28
About twelve months ago I asked the same question about the Electricians and recieved a great response,can this be repeated with the Pursers
It would be most encouraging to hear from any of the Brocklebank Pursers
In reality a ship would not function very well without the hard work these guys did, they covered a multitude of area's, food/galley,customs/bond,cash for shore leave, cabin crew,cleaning,to name a few plus of course the most important of all a steady and lasting supply of TENNENTS at all time's irrespective of voyage duration.
Gentlemen to my knowledge I can't re-call any threads from this department so please SPEAK, and lets hear your patter , we know that you can write, or did the Head Saloon Boy do the menue
SPEAK
Regards
Ken Carr

Peter Boggon
25th March 2008, 17:17
Ken,
I have just put a reply on the 'how old are you' thread. But let me be the first on this one. Its a good question I certainly would like to hear from some of my fellow P/CS.

vasco
25th March 2008, 17:58
They are now called Second Mates! Who is also the Sparky.

That has been my experience deep sea. The Cook will give the Old Man a food order, which, for some reason only the old man wants to deal with when the chandler comes on board.

The paperwork and day to day drudgery was farmed out, mainly to the 2/O, which included Bond and handling customs ( good fun when you are also trying to discharge cargo).

The Sparky bit was an insult, I was charged 1$ a minute extra for phone calls for administration charges which I did!

trotterdotpom
26th March 2008, 02:13
They are now called Second Mates! Who is also the Sparky......
The Sparky bit was an insult, I was charged 1$ a minute extra for phone calls for administration charges which I did!

Vasco, you were robbed. In the old days, Masters and ROs were exempt from the 'ship charge' component of radio telephone and telegram costs.

John T.

vasco
26th March 2008, 10:17
Vasco, you were robbed. In the old days, Masters and ROs were exempt from the 'ship charge' component of radio telephone and telegram costs.

John T.

Don't I know it. I complained to the Old Man who had been on the ship since his cadetship and he didn't give a toss. It also went to NUMAST but we were all replaced before more could be done.
When I discovered that the Marconi Checkmate Accounting System could be opened in Excel I had a bit of fun, it was possible to print out a full braekdown of the charges. The same old man was moving house and was frequently on the bat phone. His bill was astronomical. I produced it at the end of the month with full breakdown. He went beserk when he found he was also paying the extra, which now I remember was 50c to Marconi, 50c to Company. His administration charge alone was well into the $100s! I so cherish my memory of his face when he saw that. He drafted the letter to the Union! Mission accomplished (sort of).

Ken Carrr, apologies for hi-jacking your thread and a bit more on your subject.

The same Company as above paid me $50 for doing customs and $50 for ordering & issuing Bond etc. The Chief Cook used to do it until one guy joined who couldn't handle it. I was with the Company 3 years with this system until a Master joined who was not one of the 'in crowd'. The first thing he did was make the Cook take over my Duties. Apparently all the time the Cook was getting $100 a month for doing it and he never did! The other Masters were happy to let the double bonus continue as their life was made easier, so it was said.

I did a stint with LOF towards the end of their life. You could tell immediately you came on board there was a Catering Officer. Accom was spotless, even Silver Service in the Saloons. They did do away with Cat Officers towards the end, and they reduced the Crew. Funnily enough a lot of the Seniors there were with the Outfit Man & Boy, but had a completely different attitude to the one above. It was a real pleasure to sail with them.

John