T & J Harrison Line

tanker
17th March 2008, 21:10
ADVENTURER on Sea trials Doxford built1960 -ELEFTHERIA-80- BU GADANI BEACH -20-04-85

R58484956
18th March 2008, 15:34
Adventurer Did this ship have 2 saloons/ messrooms. one in forard accomodation and one in aft accom; or did you have to run the gauntlet in rough weather.

Gerry Whitehead
19th March 2008, 17:42
On the Adventurer the Main Saloon was aft & the Mates & R/O who lived for'd
uses to come aft at meal times but there was a for'd pantry with a fridge in it which at sea was always stocked with Tinned Meat & Cold Meat & Salads,bread, etc incase anyone couldn't make it aft

Fieldsy
3rd November 2008, 16:30
On the Adventurer the Main Saloon was aft & the Mates & R/O who lived for'd
uses to come aft at meal times but there was a for'd pantry with a fridge in it which at sea was always stocked with Tinned Meat & Cold Meat & Salads,bread, etc incase anyone couldn't make it aft

Is this the Gerry Whitehead who was a chief Steward? Once came back to Liverpool with you in a hire car when we signed off in Glasgow. We stopped at yours and had a cup of tea with your wife before you dropped me off in Liverpool.

Fieldsy
6th November 2008, 13:00
The link takes you to some photos both old and new. Apologies if the link has been posted before but I've only recently discovered the forum and there's just too many posts to go back and see what has been posted.

http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id48.html

I've got a link to many more modern photos but it is on my laptop at home and I'll post it later.

Fieldsy
7th November 2008, 15:41
Excellent collection of photos of Harrison Line ships.

http://www.rickspage.co.uk/DigiPics/Harrison%20Line%20ships/slides/Author%20from%20the%20R.v.Duykeren%20collection.ht ml

BigRick
22nd April 2011, 23:47
Hi, I have updated my site and there are many more pictures now.

http://www.rickspage.co.uk/HarrisonShips/HarrisonLineShips.html

Boss Hogg Jr
28th December 2012, 15:28
Anyone here able to recall history back to 1940s and 1950s with T&J Harrison??

NOEL MUTCH
31st December 2012, 00:12
Just a very quick reply to your enquiry regarding Thos. & Jas.Harrison. I was with them as a Purser from 1947/48n - 1954 . Time for bed just now please feel free to continue later.
Cheers - Noel Mutch

NOEL MUTCH
2nd January 2013, 11:59
[QUOTE=Boss Hogg Jr;644177]Anyone here able to recall history back to 1940s and 1950s with T&J Harrison??[/QUOTE

Further to my earlier but brief reply. If it is the history of the company that is of interest there is a good book ,written by Graeme Cubbin of which I have a copy, I don't know if it is still available. It may be worth trying the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock in Liverpool I am sure the remains of what was the small but interesting museum that used to be at T & J's offices was taken there.

Cheers- Noel Mutch

Gleo
20th January 2013, 14:00
I sailed with Harrisons from 1969 until 1980, a really good company and generally a good bunch of lads. Great memories of proper ships, properly maintained and managed.

NOEL MUTCH
21st January 2013, 13:17
I sailed with Harrisons from 1969 until 1980, a really good company and generally a good bunch of lads. Great memories of proper ships, properly maintained and managed.

HELLO GLEO - NOTE YOUR COMMENTS RE. T&J'S AND WOULD AGREE. YOUR PROFILE INDICATES YOU WERE AN ELECTRICIAN. DID YOU KNOW BOB FIDDAMAN ALSO AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER . I SAILED WITH HIM ON THE " FACTOR "

Gleo
21st January 2013, 13:53
HELLO GLEO - NOTE YOUR COMMENTS RE. T&J'S AND WOULD AGREE. YOUR PROFILE INDICATES YOU WERE AN ELECTRICIAN. DID YOU KNOW BOB FIDDAMAN ALSO AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER . I SAILED WITH HIM ON THE " FACTOR "

Hi Noel Yes I knew Bob well he was my boss when he became the company Electrical Engineer. A really nice guy and a good engineer. Sadly I believe he is no longer with us. I worked by on the Factor once on 24s with fridge cargo I think, very old then and was sold soon afterwards.

Peter (Pat) Baker
21st January 2013, 15:55
I was a Purser with T&J 1957- 1966 after two years with Palm Line.
Harrisons were an excellent company. Great feeders and marvellous
shipmates.
I really do miss those very happy days.
Pat Baker.

Gleo
21st January 2013, 16:59
Hi Pat

Yes I have to agree, the bad times are completely outweighed by the good times. I look back and realise that they were a fine company.

I hope you don't mind but I have nicked your Avatar as it was so much better than mine. Still a typical lecky ;0)

Peter (Pat) Baker
22nd January 2013, 15:34
Gleo,
you are more than welcome to nick my avatar (as you say
you were a lecky, so what can we expect)
There was a previous posting on this thread from
Gerry Whitehead.
I once paid off a chartered ship, the Sycamore Hill,in Beira,
flew down to Capetown, and joined a Harrison ship
as passenger for the voyage home.
Gerry was the Purser on that ship (before the days of
Purser/Chief Stewards)
Gerry crossed the bar quite recently, I am sad to say.

Nice to hear from,you let us hear more of your time with
the Apple Daddy boats.

Cheers, and good health to you.

Pat Baker.

NOEL MUTCH
22nd January 2013, 23:50
Hello Pat, I See you were a Purser with Harrisons as I was . I came ashore in 1954. You mentioned being paid off a "Hill" ship in Beira (I Have Horror Memories Of That Place) Strangely enough I am sure the last Ship I sailed in ,which was a charter,was the Notting Hill. I can't say I remember the chap Whitehead mind you I can't remember very many names although Bill Rowntree springs to mind as does Jim Reston ,Christian, Stafford ,Hardy,Montgomery,old Jeff,Jack Litchfield (good old friend of mine he became a Vice Consul in New Orleans) Frank Johnson Outward Freight Dept. I must say that in the main I enjoyed my time with T&J.
Cheers for now - Noel

IAN M
23rd January 2013, 00:03
Harrison is one of the 53 companies listed in my book SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF WORLD WAR II, published by the History Press and due to appear in July.

Regards

Ian

NOEL MUTCH
23rd January 2013, 14:58
Hi Noel Yes I knew Bob well he was my boss when he became the company Electrical Engineer. A really nice guy and a good engineer. Sadly I believe he is no longer with us. I worked by on the Factor once on 24s with fridge cargo I think, very old then and was sold soon afterwards.

Hello again Gleo. Yes I did hear Bob died some years ago it was John Beaton who told me. I think John ended up as a Super and carried working when they created the consortium with Bibby I do know he was travelling an awful lot worldwide checking out new builds in Korea etc. I see him quite regular being in the same Golf Club. Going back to Bob I always remember that voyage on the Factor in 1950 Three of us Keith Watson 2nd Mate,Bob and I were good mates and I have some happy memories, and sad ones, of that voyage, as you say Bob was a nice chap and a great joker.

Peter (Pat) Baker
23rd January 2013, 18:01
Noel,
Bill Rowntree eventually became Superintendant Purser and was
a bit of a pal of mine. He left the company circa 1965. I was on leave
at the time, and when I came back he had gone. Nobady would tell me why.
Jimmy Reston was a great guy, if you were ever in trouble with the wife
he could always think of an excuse or an alibi for you.
The rest of the people you mention, I think I remember, but not sure.
Old age (and gin) have removed an awful lot of brain cells.
Nice to hear from you, keep well and stay in touch.
Really great to hear from somebody with memories in common.
Cheers
Pat Baker.

NOEL MUTCH
25th January 2013, 00:03
Pat - The Name Christian (surname) Is The Chap Who Worked With Jim Reston A Different Character I Never Felt Too Comfortable With Him As I Did With J.R.

Hardy Was The Boss Of The Crew Dept And Stafford Was,I Think,his Deputy And Had A Lot To Do With The Chief Stewards . Old Jeff (surname Jeffries)was, During My Time, The Senior Purser Based In Mersey Chambers.just Thought Of A Couple More, Namely Schofield, He Was Part Of Crew Dept But Was Something Of An Outside Man Not Sure What His Function Was. The Other Is Gordon Fullerton He Was An Ex Purser And I Am Sure He Became The Boss Of Inward Freight Dept Taking Over From A Mr Thomas. One Other A Purser Named Souter Who Unfortunately Was Lost When The Geologist Collided And Sank Off Port Of Spain .Have You Got A Copy Of The History Of Harrisons ? It Was Compiled By Graeme Cubbin And Is An Excellent Book And Amply Illustrated And Contains Loads Of Interesting Accounts Of Events That Befell Some Of The Ships Such As The Geologist Disaster.Regarding Bill Rowntree I Do Remember Something Of His Disappearance I Do Beleive It Was Due To A Misdameanor Of Some Kind But I Think I Had Left By then.Cheers - Noel

Peter (Pat) Baker
25th January 2013, 18:02
Noel.
yes I remember Hardy and Stafford.
The rest I do not recall.
The book by Graeme Cubbin is great, and I sailed
with Graeme when he was Chief Officer.
You are correct about the way Bill Rowntree left
the Company, and indeed think I know the reason.
Thanks for your reply, and I hope to hear further from you.
My very best regards,
Pat.

NOEL MUTCH
27th January 2013, 12:19
Pat - I meant to ask you this before .In your time with Harrisons did you still use that state of the art piece of duplicating technology in the form of the tray of China Clay when producing the Tally Books?When I think about that operation now I can hardly believe it happened in the light of technology as it is today. God how I hated that job especially in bad weather conditions. You mentioned having sailed with Graeme Cubbin, who I have met, his relatives used to live down the road from me. I sailed with his cousin John both when he was 2nd and Chief Mate and also his uncle,John's father, who was a Chief Engineer. My first Harrison ship was the Artisan, a coal burner, Master "Pony" Moore, C/Off:Val Daly,2nd Mate John Cubbin and it was the East African run.First port Beira where we anchored for 80 odd days before going alongside you can imagine how unsettled the crew became.
Cheers - Noel

Peter (Pat) Baker
28th January 2013, 22:46
Noel,
Gawd do I ever remember those metal trays filled with china clay.
People to-day would never believe you if you told them that tale.
We were in very heavy weather once, and had been for some time.
I was well behind so decided to chance my arm and crack on with
the job. It was a newish ship with a large office adjoining my room.
The desk was large and well polished.
I had that tray lashed up to prevent movement.
My assistant and I unlashed the tray and pushed it into position,
but before we could start work we shipped another green one and
the tray slid off the desk, hit to deck about an inch from my foot,
spilt half its clay all over the deck.
We then left the steward to clean up the clay, retired to my room,
cracked open the gin and that was that.
We had no hatch books when we arrived at the first port, but I had
prepared a report into the incident, signed by the Captain, so we both
avoided any pack drill.
Ah those happy days.
Please keep in touch Noel,
Cheers,
Pat.

Allan Wareing
29th January 2013, 02:04

Yes,Boss, I sailed as 3rdMate in Comedian and Planter fromMar. '49 to May. '50. They were good feeders too. Regards, Allan

holland25
29th January 2013, 02:34
Sailed on the Speaker 56-57,Captain Richardson. We went to South Africa and from memory we didnt have a purser but for the trip to the Caribbean we did.The food wasnt bad. My next ship was a Blue Star and the Captain looked down his nose at Harrison's but I couldnt see much difference.

grahamwilliams
21st March 2013, 17:10

I was an apprentice on board ss coulgarve one of Dornoch's we arrived in Genoa after a very rough ride from Gibraltar havein sailed from Hartlepool with coal. As we had only been ten days to get there we were broke, but ahead of when we tied up was a Harrisons with four also hard up apprentices. They took us on a bender of red wine, I can't forget those very happy days ten altogether, even though it was pretty hazy. I wish I could remember their names because they were the best of mates for a short while. We sailed under the Lambert Brothers, Bass house flag.

johnboy55
12th April 2013, 11:34
Anyone got any photos of the Statesman and Scholar, I was brieffly with Harrisons for a couple of trips in '77.5.E.O Liverpool-West Indies and London West Indies. And I saw the name Gerry Whitehead on an earlier post, he was the Chief Steward and had to stitch up my rather ripped right index finger which had had an encounter with a one inch drill bit on the pillar drill in E.R workshop. No anaesthetics . glass of scotch and a roll-up . . just swarfega to clean the finger, although Gerry was all set to sterilise his needles !Told him not to bother. En route to Trinidad I recall .

NOEL MUTCH
13th April 2013, 11:19
Hello Johnboy - The only photos I have of the ships mentioned are contained in the Harrison History Book compiled by Graeme Cubbin which I could try copying once my printer is up and running again. I was a Purser with Harrisons from 1948 - 1954 so the I doubt if we had any mutual shipmates due to the time span. Just to mention a couple of Engineers namely Bob Fidaman (Elec:) John Beason,Tiny Hughes. Let me know if you would like me to provide photos.
Cheers - Noel Mutch