New Helecopters for the Coastguard

Santos
20th March 2008, 21:04
Item of news on the MCA site re the delivery of the first of three new helicopters for the MCA.

Apparantly 2 are to be based at Lee on Solent and one at Portland although the contract for cover is still for 24hrs cover at both Sumburgh and Stornaway as well.

Looks like the North loses out to the South again as usual and will have to carry on using ( in the words of their Pilots ) old and tired aircraft. I would have thought that the conditions up North also warranted new aircraft, but obviously the South is much more important. (Cloud)

Chris.

UmbornePirate
20th March 2008, 21:55
..... Looks like the North loses out to the South again as usual and will have to carry on using ( in the words of their Pilots ) old and tired aircraft. I would have thought that the conditions up North also warranted new aircraft, but obviously the South is much more important. (Cloud)

Chris.

Chris

Old and tired they might appear to be, but they have got long legs. If you really think the North needs new short range AW39s you will be degrading the cover because so few sheep stations in the highlands can refuel helos.(Thumb)

All the best

Pirate

Santos
20th March 2008, 21:59
Pirate,

I merely quote the MCA :-

Peter Cardy, Chief Executive, Maritime and Coastguard Agency said:

The MCA are delighted to be able to receive these new AgustaWestland aircraft as part of our strategy of utilising differing aircraft specifically for the varying coastline we enjoy in the United Kingdom.

These new aircraft will be able to fly more quickly, and will be able to fly farther to people in distress at sea than those currently in use.

They have been specifically kitted with various items of advanced technical equipment, including an on board automatic identification system (AIS), specifically designed for the challenges of search and rescue in the 21st Century .

Chris

Pompeyfan
20th March 2008, 23:12
They showed them on BBC South TV tonight. The Portland helicopter is on a 12 hour daytime basis. They come over my way so will be strange to see a different aircraft.

David

Chief Engineer's Daughter
21st March 2008, 00:31
Looks like the North loses out to the South again as usual and will have to carry on using ( in the words of their Pilots ) old and tired aircraft. I would have thought that the conditions up North also warranted new aircraft, but obviously the South is much more important. (Cloud)

Chris.

Chris

Stornoway and Shetland have both got 2 brand spanking new S92s. They have been fully operational in Stornoway (G-CGMU & G-SARB) since September last year and at Sumburgh (G-CGOC & G-SARC) since January. Last month they had reached 50 missions between them both. You find various photos in the gallery of them.

They have been "kitted with various items of advanced technical equipment" including AIS.

Cheers
CED

Santos
21st March 2008, 01:18
Thats great CED - I was concerned that the North was being ignored as it is in many other matters in favour of the money in the South. The weather and conditions up your way demands that you have trustworthy resources and thats what was concerning me that you did not have the resources you deserved.

Chris.

UmbornePirate
25th March 2008, 22:32
Chris

Stornoway and Shetland have both got 2 brand spanking new S92s. .........
Cheers
CED

Thanks for sorting this one out for us CED. My earlier comment originated from the statement that is still on today's MCA website here (http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-hmcg_rescue/coastguard_operations/maritme_search_and_rescue_assets.htm) that states that the northern bases operate S61Ns

All the best

Pirate (Just back after a few days away)

samuel j
25th March 2008, 22:46
Shot of G-CGIJ - http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1337886&size=L&width=1200&height=812&sok=&photo_nr=1

and below some more nots coastguards but same type
http://www.fotosdebarcos.com/viewtopic.php?t=14538

Have heard the Pilots like them, their position directly in front of the winch door gives them a much better idea of their position while winching. But overall the crews are concerned as limited space in the cabin, apparently can only get 1 stretcher in diagonally and there is no head room to work on casualties.

Just quoting what I heard as have no knowledge of choppers, so don't shot the messenger[=P]