Help, Grey Fighter

pisco
23rd March 2008, 12:22
I give up, I have tried every website I can to get a photo of the Grey Fighter. I sailed on her during 1979. Can anybody help :confused:

ian keyl
26th March 2008, 00:55
Hi Pisco,

there are two photos in the ben Line fleet list and short history book by Graeme Somner,this was published by the world ship soceity in Kendal 1980.
You may find a copy on ebay.
rgds ian.

Tam Broon
1st May 2008, 18:25
Hi Pisco

Sailed on Grey Fighters maiden voyage 74/75. Recently found two photos at Fotoflite.com.

Regards Tom

ian d.cameron
1st May 2008, 18:41
Good photo and info in the Gallery
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=110073

ALLANREID
18th June 2008, 00:03
I was on the Grey Fighter & the Grey Hunter and laid them both up in Norway
during the downturn in the oil industry ...way back ?? The Grey Warrior wasn`t even built then !! Vestnes .....just across from Molde was a very small `village` but we had a `ball` there as there was a `skeleton` crew for both tankers, powered from the beach..eventually. I`m sure I`ve got some photo`s of the `girls` while I was up there....must be in the loft somewhere......one of the lads even got hitched up there to one of them...think his name was Derek Dove & he came from Glasgow. I did a trip on each before they were `laid` up `n returned to do a couple of 3 monthers while they were there !!! Who could resist it !!??(Smoke)

john fraser
19th June 2008, 00:46
during the downturn in the oil industry ...way back ?? The Grey Warrior wasn`t even built then !! Vestnes .....just across from Molde was a very small `village` but we had a `ball` there as there was a `skeleton` crew for both tankers, powered from the beach..eventually. I`m sure I`ve got some photo`s of the `girls` while I was up there....must be in the loft somewhere......one of the lads even got hitched up there to one of them...think his name was Derek Dove & he came from Glasgow. I did a trip on each before they were `laid` up `n returned to do a couple of 3 monthers while they were there !!! Who could resist it !!??(Smoke)

Hi Allan.
Do you remember Alex Connors AB got married there,Also you are right. there was an engineer called Derek got married as well.Spoke to a couple of Norwegian engineers in Rotterdam drydock in 2000 and they knew Alex Connors and he was still there then. I also have some photos of the girls from the village

pisco
23rd June 2008, 18:10
Thanks for all the info lads, spot on cheers (Thumb)

kate2finn
29th January 2009, 12:15
My husband Hugh Finnigan was Cheif electrician on the Vianna when it too was laid up in Norway in 1975. I went out there for a month with our son who was 2 at the time. We were there for Mid summers day. everything ashore was really expensive. I remember buying a bottle of whisky for Chris Mc Neil and it cost 70Kroner (7) and that was a lot of dosh in 1975. Happy Days!

krisC
29th January 2009, 12:46
Hi Folks

I was up there as well, Engineer cadet. We moved around all three ships, Fighter, Hunter & Vianna. Chris Cockburn, Jerry Hughes & Jim.... can't remember his last name.

john fraser
29th January 2009, 18:44
Wasn,t it Jim Smith,if I remember correctly.Came from Lossiemouth but I think he lived in Shields or that area.

krisC
30th January 2009, 12:28
That's the man. Jim Smith
The South Shields connection would have been the college there. He and Jerry had ben there before going to Norway.

Chris

ALLANREID
27th June 2009, 23:42
Hi Allan.
Do you remember Alex Connors AB got married there,Also you are right. there was an engineer called Derek got married as well.Spoke to a couple of Norwegian engineers in Rotterdam drydock in 2000 and they knew Alex Connors and he was still there then. I also have some photos of the girls from the village

Yes John...great times :o) I`ve got some photos of all the girls too that used to come onboard ...just to be friendly.. :o) I`ll need to `dig` them out from the loft sometime....Eleanor was the one that I took a `shine `too @ the time......Alex was a `steady ` sort of bloke from what I can remember !?.....Keep in touch Rgds Allan

Innes
9th August 2010, 19:20
Hi Alan,
I was on both of the grey ships in Vestnes, managed to do two six week stints, cant remember if I was fourth or third engineer but remember Alex the AB, also a donkeyman called Lowry Cherry
Peter Lurtsima was the second on my second stint there,a great guy, I sailed with him previously on the Dearg.I remember the girls but cant say too much!!!
Innes

Paul Barford
9th August 2010, 22:57
Unlike all you lucky buggers that spent time in Norway, I was on the GF after lay up, joined in Khargh island and loaded for Long Beach California. After that we were running from the then new terminal in Esmeraldas (Equador) to Long Beach for a couple of trips. Signed of in Texas after six months, she was known as the Disneyland Express in those days...happy times and many stories!!(Thumb)

john fraser
10th August 2010, 19:38
Hi Alan,
I was on both of the grey ships in Vestnes, managed to do two six week stints, cant remember if I was fourth or third engineer but remember Alex the AB, also a donkeyman called Lowry Cherry
Peter Lurtsima was the second on my second stint there,a great guy, I sailed with him previously on the Dearg.I remember the girls but cant say too much!!!
Innes

"I remember the girls but can,t say too much".Don,t worry Innes the original photos are in safe hands.I am sure we won,t publish them.I take it you are Innes Macaskill if I remember correctly.

Innes
14th August 2010, 02:40
"I remember the girls but can,t say too much".Don,t worry Innes the original photos are in safe hands.I am sure we won,t publish them.I take it you are Innes Macaskill if I remember correctly.

Hi John,
Thats me, if you know me then I must know you, send me pm if you like

Tommyyoung
24th March 2012, 10:41
I remember joining the fighter in vestnes as AB the hunter was there as well, she got a charter the fighter did not so I ended up being part of skeleton crew for a few months along with another AB..Angus from the western isles.. Vestnes was a fine wee place though and the locals were friendly,I did join the grey hunter about a year later in Philladelphia but only lasted 6 weeks thankfully.

borderreiver
24th March 2012, 14:12
I was master on the Woodburn laud up near by. Changed films with them frequently. Went back later to see friends and met up with the lad who got there married he filled out tank up at the garage were he was working at.