Icenic

tanker
23rd March 2008, 19:08
On sea trials,Harland & Wolff built 1960- AEGEAN UNITY 78-BU Kaohsiung 1979
Gp

gadgee
24th March 2008, 01:07
Thanks Gianpaolo but you put it in Gallery already.

William Murdoch
4th May 2008, 14:07
On sea trials,Harland & Wolff built 1960- AEGEAN UNITY 78-BU Kaohsiung 1979
Gp

I sailed on her in the late 60's

Desbee
11th December 2014, 01:35
Hi everyone! I have just found this forum, and as I tend to live in the past more as I get older, I would be interested to contact people I might have sailed with back in the early 60's. I was an AB on the Icenic from Oct. '62 to Feb. '63. I also sailed on the Aramaic and the Canopic, and have a few photos of the Aramaic and Afric. Hoping to get some response............Des

Stephen J. Card
11th December 2014, 02:13
[QUOTE=Desbee;1176082]Hi everyone! I have just found this forum, and as I tend to live in the past more as I get older, I would be interested to contact people I might have sailed with back in the early 60's. I was an AB on the Icenic from Oct. '62 to Feb. '63. I also sailed on the Aramaic and the Canopic, and have a few photos of the Aramaic and Afric. Hoping to get some response............Des[/QUOTE

Des,

ICENIC called at Bermuda.... roughly the same period.... about 62 - 63. Can't remember the exact date because I was just about 11. Took this photo at Hamilton on the ferry back from school. Fast forward 14 years later.. as 2nd Mate in ICENIC. Lots of photos of the ship in the Gallery and welcome to Ships Nostalgia.

Stephen

Desbee
11th December 2014, 03:20
Hi Stephen,
Good to get your message so soon. When I was on her I think we sailed empty to Beauty Point in Tasmania to load up with apples, then straight home to London. I have lived in Australia since 1968 and have friends I met here when I first came here in 1960 on the Aramaic.
Des

Stephen J. Card
11th December 2014, 14:55
Des,

Well, I think Tasmania is one of the most beautiful spots in the world. Not when at sea, but cruised as passenger at Hobart and Devonport. Lived several years in Sydney.

Stephen

Paul Braxton
14th December 2014, 00:15
Hi Stephen.

I just wanted to congratulate you on your beautiful painting of the "Icenic" underway, which I first found several years ago. It really captures the ship perfectly. I was R/O on her a little before your time onboard - 3 or 4 years previously. I remember her as a great vessel to sail on. She was my first Savill ship - I went on to serve aboard "Canopic", "Laurentic", "Mayfield" and "Riverina".

I've done a few paintings and drawings of the replica "Endeavour", so very much enjoyed comparing styles. Your eye for detail rivals my own it seems!

(www.art-endeavour.com) (Doesn't have my latest - and best - drawing of the ship on yet as I can't afford to upload it!).

Best wishes to you and I trust you are feeling better after your recent illness.