Anyone know what ship?

John Leary
22nd May 2005, 16:48
Can any old Brock help to identify the ship in the attached images. The pictures were taken in 1964 from Mahseer when it was on its return journey home and the ship in question whose name I have long forgotten was in-bound for Colombo. Unfortunately what could have been reasonable pictures were sadly affected by poor storage over the last 40 years, poor film, under-exposure and a rotten photographer. I have looked at the pictures in the Anchor and Brocklebank book by John Clarkson and Roy Fenton and the only thing I can be sure about is that they are not pictures of the Maskeliya because she had her lifeboats on different decks. I have accepted Batmanís suggestion to use black and white on the second image because it does become clearer (thanks Ron). Any suggestions as to name would be most welcome. (*))

R798780
22nd May 2005, 17:42
By the position of the flag on the bow it could be Makrana or Masirah; but could not be Mawana. Definitely that class. Need to see an image of Mangla, Mathura. Can't count the number of letters in the name from your image, if it was 6 it would identify Mangla. If you can scan at a higher resolution that winch just forward of the accom block might narrow it down, Mangla, Mathura had electric winches.

Ron B Manderson
22nd May 2005, 18:22
about a big as you will get
looks like scott winches to me
hope this put thro process helps
any bigger it will go
ron

John Leary
22nd May 2005, 21:54
Thanks Hugh and Ron

Will try as suggested and let you know the results
Regards
John

R798780
22nd May 2005, 22:23
Just looked at Fairfields "CAPTAIN COOK ex- LETITIA" with Mathura in building also in shot. The bow badge eliminates Mathura. I assume - here we're jumping to a conclusion - that the higher badge on the bow was only Masirah and Makrana, later buildings, Mawana onwards had the badge lower. When I looked at the winch I thought Clark Chapman silent steam but without enhancement it's anyones guess

michael james
23rd May 2005, 08:39
I would put a few Rupees on it being Masirah.

Mathura Mawana etc had vertical braced stancions on the monkey island forward, I cannot remember what they were for but clearly visible in pic of Mawana Table Bay in my gallery. Bow flag difference also clearly visible. Lol Mike J

Ron B Manderson
23rd May 2005, 10:43
Was this not a doorway for Suez canal light .
the older ships had a shelf up forward
Yes/no/
Ron

R798780
23rd May 2005, 10:51
In some cases the badge was neatly centred on that bow door, but on some the badge was half on the door and half not. Mawana had a bow door. I can't remember if Makrana did, we didn't go via the canal in '70, it was closed for the day.

Michael has shot of Mangla bunkering in Dakar, so Mangla is now eliminated. Short list of two. Sorry Ron, Clark Chapman has the day.

R798780
27th May 2005, 07:10
It's Makrana. The funnel bands on Masirah were lower, with the white band obscured by the binacle housing on the monkey island when viewed from forward. Stuart Smith has Masirah in his gallery. Malcolm Cook has the Brocklebank history pages in his, page two identifies the different height of the funnel bands.

michael james
27th May 2005, 08:39
Hugh, Well deduced - Makrana it is.

Stuart Smith
27th May 2005, 09:29
But surely the row of rivets third down on the starboard side were 3/4 inch head diameter instead of 7/8 inch which these clearly are.!!!!
The depth of knowledge and memory recall of people on this site is incedible, or else the site is full of anoracs.

Stuart Smith
27th May 2005, 09:32
Just re-read Johns original post and realised that I was on Makrana in 1964 and we of course called into Colombo. She probably made two trips there that year so a 50-50 chance I was on her.

R798780
27th May 2005, 09:54
Has to be the anorak this time (awful thought) I didn't know the differences. Wolf obviously did, when he identified the ex Makrana in Mombassa in '73. Now I know how! It's bugged me on and off for years.

Nowt clever, just looked at your postings, and about six other members' postings.

John Leary
27th May 2005, 12:28
(Applause) Many thank to all for solving the mystery. I can now rename the images in my folder. Regards
John

Derek Roger
30th October 2005, 02:51
Which ever She is someone should get their **** kicked for the Smoke ( unless She was Blowing Tubes ! )
Derek

michael james
30th October 2005, 18:17
Which ever She is someone should get their **** kicked for the Smoke ( unless She was Blowing Tubes ! )
Derek

Now now Chief, have a little tolerance, she was never as good as Mawana in most if not all respects ! Lads down below doing their best !! LOL

Rgds Mike J