Fishing vessel sinks off Alaska - merged threads

samuel j
23rd March 2008, 21:11
Rescue launched as crew abandon ship
23/03/2008 - 19:06
All 47 crew members of a Seattle-based fishing boat abandoned ship today after the vessel started sinking about 120 miles off the Alaskan coast.

Coast Guard Lt Eric Eggan said 26 people have been safely recovered from life rafts.

The 180ft Alaska Ranger started taking on water shortly before 3am today after losing control of its rudder.

A Coast Guard cutter and aircraft and the Alaska Rangerís sister ship are taking part in the rescue.

Gavin Gait
23rd March 2008, 21:37
Reports now in that 4 men have lost their lives

My thoughts go out to the families of the men who have been lost

samuel j
23rd March 2008, 22:40
Lets hope the the remaining crew and rescuers make it home safely

Keltic Star
24th March 2008, 04:41
Last Updated: Sunday, March 23, 2008 | 6:28 PM ET
CBC News

Four crew members have died and one person is still missing after a Seattle-based fishing boat sank off Alaska's Aleutian Islands early Sunday morning, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Forty-seven people were on board the Alaska Ranger when the vessel began taking on water shortly before 3 a.m. Sunday about 200 kilometres west of Dutch Harbor. Forty-two people have been rescued, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

"Four crew members were reported deceased, and one is still missing," Coast Guard Lt. Eric Eggan told CBC News from Juneau on Sunday afternoon.

The victims included ship captain Eric Peter Jacobsen, chief engineer Daniel Cook, mate David Silveira and crewman Byron Carrillo.

The Coast Guard cutter Munro with its helicopter, as well as a sister ship to the Alaska Ranger, continue to search for the missing person, he said.

Some rescued crew were taken to Dutch Harbor while others stayed behind to help with rescue efforts.

The fishing boat notified the Coast Guard on Sunday morning that it had lost control of its rudder and was taking on water.

It was carrying 658,000 litres of diesel when it sank in deep seas, according to Leslie Pearson, emergency response manager for the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.

After the disaster, an oil sheen covered an area of 400 metres by 800 metres, the Coast Guard said. A cleanup effort was unlikely because of strong winds that will spread the spill even more, officials said.