Adaware ...

Moulder
25th March 2008, 11:05
I've copped a problem with some Adaware (at least I think thats what it is).
Every time I select a new page using Windows Internet Explorer - I get a window saying:-

system error
your computer was infected by unknown trojan.
its dangerous for your system (critical files can be lost)
click OK to download antispyware to clean your system (recommended).

It appears that this is only present when I use Windows Explorer - I do not get the problem when browsing with AOL.

Any experts (of which I am not) out there with any suggestions as to how I can get rid? Any step by step assistance would be much appreciated.

Steve.
(Thumb)

ddraigmor
25th March 2008, 11:35
download the free version of Spybot search and destroy. Google it, gollow instructions and sweep the system.

Jonty

kottemann
25th March 2008, 11:38
You can download it here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

Moulder
25th March 2008, 13:35
Hi Guys,
Thanks for info. I've downloaded and run the Spybot - it found quite a few entries but has not cured my pop-ups.
I think this maybe what is referred to as the IEDefender virus/adware. Any more suggestions?

Many thanks so far.

Steve.
(Thumb)

K urgess
25th March 2008, 13:47
Have you tried the software called "Adaware"?
I find it can reach the parts others can't.
Kris

derekhore
25th March 2008, 14:03
Another free good one is "Spyware terminator"

http://www.spywareterminator.com

....worth downloading that and running....surprising what it finds!!

nhp651
25th March 2008, 14:06
i tried adaware a while ago and it was a bigger pain in the backside than Les dawson's mother in law.
I eventually deleated the programme from my computor, and that for me was a triumph in itself, as I am a complete computor technophobe!

K urgess
25th March 2008, 14:12
Been using Adaware for years and the only problem I've had is with the new interface which I find a pain.
At one time or another I've had just about every one there is and find Adaware the best.
I just used Spybot to clean my system and then used Adaware which found the bits the other left behind. The Zone Alarm scan runs automatically but is notorious for missing stuff.
Of course every time you run anything if you've been on the net with any browser in the meantime you will find more dross.
It also passed Computer Shopper tests better than any of the others.
But there again I haven't looked in about a month for others.
Kris

jaydeeare
25th March 2008, 14:34
A lot of these 'Adaware' popups are a con.

The companies concerned place the popup on peoples computers and then expect the link to be clicked to advertise their particular website, where they hope the hapless person will purchase their anti-virus software.

As mentioned above, there are plenty of free antivirus and spyware packages around.

Please, don't be conned into buying from these popups!

I also advise people to ditch Microsoft Explorer and use other browsers such as Firefox or Safari (now available for PC's not just MAC). The main problem with not using MS Explorer is there are still a number of websites out there that are only setup for Explorer - big mistake by the website designer!

K urgess
25th March 2008, 15:05
Some of these pop-ups also lead to sites that infect your computer properly.

Like most of other things with Personal Computers it's a matter of Personal Choice.
Having tried every browser known to man I'm now back with Internet Explorer. If you have all your safeguards in place then whichever browser works for you is good for you.

Bob Preston
25th March 2008, 17:25
I swear by Firefox + Adblock Plus + TrackMeNot. I find with Int Exp I pick all manner of rubbish. To keep my machine up to speed I use Wincleaner Oneclick before I shut down at night. It is stunning how much junk I pick up with casual browsing.

Bob

ssr481
25th March 2008, 17:31
ply my normal trade - ya think beverage dispenser lines into every space and cabin would be easy - I use multiple browsers and develop sites that work in every browser.

Be that as it may, I run Adaware 2007, Spybot S & D, and antivirus once a week. I'm going to have to rebuild my one PC..too much stuff and too many bugs.. (==D)

K urgess
25th March 2008, 17:34
There's another little point that's a personal choice.
If I'm doing an upgrade or something for someone (mostly mates nowadays) I recommend leaving the machine on 24/7. For about an hour or so after you switch on in the morning it's like watching paint dry as the damn thing upgrades itself and does it's scheduled tasks like automatic virus scans, etc.
Another handy little doodad that keeps it up to speed is a disk defragmentation program that runs in the background.

ssr481
25th March 2008, 17:56
(K) There's another little point that's a personal choice.
If I'm doing an upgrade or something for someone (mostly mates nowadays) I recommend leaving the machine on 24/7. For about an hour or so after you switch on in the morning it's like watching paint dry as the damn thing upgrades itself and does it's scheduled tasks like automatic virus scans, etc.
Another handy little doodad that keeps it up to speed is a disk defragmentation program that runs in the background.

Ya took the words right out of my mouth. Since both my desktop and laptop have lots of files - comes with the territory of slinging web pages for a living - I run the virus scan at night.. (K)

derekhore
25th March 2008, 19:50
I know it's all a matter of choice....but I have had to download Firefox to access certain websites that I am working on.....and I find it total poo compared to IE!!

samuel j
25th March 2008, 22:14
There's another little point that's a personal choice.

Hardisks like 24/7 too..... they no like cold.... as you say handy for scheduled auto tasks running away in background over night etc.
I never turn off unless for specific reboot , just knock monitor off at night but machine itself always on. Have had HDDs that did not want to wake up again and this even more prevalent with larger disks as we've all become accustomed

jaydeeare
26th March 2008, 00:12
Personally, I got rid of my PC last year after it slowed down to a virtual halt after a Windows 'update' and bought a MAC and I've not regretted it. No problems, runs everything first time. A nice piece of kit. Admittedly, not to everyones taste, but it suits me. No more stupid waiting or adware popups etc.

K urgess
26th March 2008, 00:26
My daughter has got a Macbook and I'm suitably impressed but I'm too solidly entrenched in the PC side.
I'm coming up for an upgrade/new PC (the very thought of which fills me with dread) and I would seriously consider it.
Unfortunately I can see Macs just ending up as Windows PCs with different processors.

Moulder
26th March 2008, 11:01
Mornin' All,

Has anyone got any info on this IEDefender virus? I can't seem to get rid of it.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

K urgess
26th March 2008, 12:15
Have you googled "IEDefender Virus"?
I get a whole load of hits uncluding removal tools.
Kris

Moulder
26th March 2008, 12:21
Yep - have had a look at a few of those and even downloaded the SpyHunter software - it confirms the presence of the IEDefender virus then goes to the usual credit card screen when I hit the 'remove' button.
It doesn't look as though any of the free anti-spyware programs can touch this one.

I tried to Restore my computer to a date last week, before this virus was evident, and it won't let me do that now.

Steve.
(Thumb)

K urgess
26th March 2008, 12:40
Found this (http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=107621) via the PCTools site here (http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49675).
I haven't got the problem so I can't test it.
Cheers
Kris

Moulder
26th March 2008, 12:59
Found this (http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=107621) via the PCTools site here (http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49675).
I haven't got the problem so I can't test it.
Cheers
Kris

Thanks Kris - I'll have a read.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

rickles23
26th March 2008, 13:11
For any major problems join Geeks to go at http://www.geekstogo.com/.

Its free and there is not much they cannot do..(Scribe)

K urgess
26th March 2008, 13:21
Looks a good site.
Wish I'd found that last night when I was having CHKDSK and defrag problems.
Cheers
Kris

Bob Preston
26th March 2008, 13:47
I'm on AVG anti-virus and anti-spy run every morning. I run Spybot a couple of times a week, on occasions it picks up nasties the others miss. I defrag about every month. On the odd occasion I run Trend Housecall if I dubious about something. Paranoid, Yes. If you think they are out to get you' you are right they are.

I'm debating whether to stuff more memory into mine or buy a new one. I can't find any cheap SDRAM PC133 168 pin. I could do with another GB. Where I teach we have 14 PCs running Vista, we had to up them from 1 GB to 2 GB RAM to run Photoshop 5. WE have a further 6 on XP Pro which we run courses on scanning and photo repair/reconstruction. Vista wasn't happy with our scanners, even with the latest drivers. We also have 14 Lap Tops on XP. That was a long winded way of saying I am not yet happy with Vista. But how long do I wait? As for Macs, they are gorgeous and you can use them right out of the box.

Bob

Moulder
26th March 2008, 17:53
For any major problems join Geeks to go at http://www.geekstogo.com/.

Its free and there is not much they cannot do..(Scribe)

Thats the site I was looking for - many thanks.

I've followed the instructions on one of the forums and utilised the available download - its done the trick.

Thanks to all who responded - once again SN members have come up trumps.

Arigato.

Steve.
(Thumb)
(==D)

K urgess
26th March 2008, 18:02
Great stuff. (Applause)
Glad we got there in the end.
I've certainly bookmarked the Geeks site and will have an explore later.
Cheers
Kris

gingerbeer73
27th March 2008, 00:42
Hi,
Have a look at http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=13473

Cheers
Colin

I've copped a problem with some Adaware (at least I think thats what it is).
Every time I select a new page using Windows Internet Explorer - I get a window saying:-

system error
your computer was infected by unknown trojan.
its dangerous for your system (critical files can be lost)
click OK to download antispyware to clean your system (recommended).

It appears that this is only present when I use Windows Explorer - I do not get the problem when browsing with AOL.

Any experts (of which I am not) out there with any suggestions as to how I can get rid? Any step by step assistance would be much appreciated.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Derbyroy
29th March 2008, 03:16
I use Adaware all the time it self upgrades doesn,t interupt my web surfing and its free.
I can,t fault them. i have even had an e-mail fron them asking if their software was acceptable, I had to reply yes..
no problems at all
when it does find a problem program it asks me to look before it scrubs it
sorry you have had problems
my cable installer recommended it for my system he was right
best regards Derby

Pompeyfan
2nd April 2008, 16:57
Glad you got it sorted Steve, but if I were you I would change from IE to Firefox. I had a lot of trouble with IE, but none (touch wood) since I changed to Firefox. I have two good spyware programmes Spyware Doctor and Adaware. What Spyeware Doctor didn't find, Adaware did being better at finding tracking cookies. Both found infections let in by IE, but they find very little now I have Firefox. In fact nothing has been found for the past couple of weeks where something was found every day with IE especially Adaware which always found a tracking cookie. Not that they are a problem, more of a nuisance but I find both programmes ideal.

David

G0SLP
2nd April 2008, 17:38
I'm on AVG anti-virus and anti-spy run every morning. I run Spybot a couple of times a week, on occasions it picks up nasties the others miss. I defrag about every month. On the odd occasion I run Trend Housecall if I dubious about something. Paranoid, Yes. If you think they are out to get you' you are right they are.

I'm debating whether to stuff more memory into mine or buy a new one. I can't find any cheap SDRAM PC133 168 pin. I could do with another GB. Where I teach we have 14 PCs running Vista, we had to up them from 1 GB to 2 GB RAM to run Photoshop 5. WE have a further 6 on XP Pro which we run courses on scanning and photo repair/reconstruction. Vista wasn't happy with our scanners, even with the latest drivers. We also have 14 Lap Tops on XP. That was a long winded way of saying I am not yet happy with Vista. But how long do I wait? As for Macs, they are gorgeous and you can use them right out of the box.

Bob

Bob, try going to www.crucial.com/uk & running their little test scan. It'll tell you what you've got & offer appropriate memory.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mark

Neil Mant
2nd April 2008, 18:17
Hi you can get all your security programmes here,there free.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/ all programmes from security to file sharing p2p themes games,
Neil

Bob Preston
2nd April 2008, 22:20
Found a source of memory," Funkey Giraffe" !!! 512MB 12 each. I've got 3 in the post. So Vista is postponed.

Bob

robbie 1954
11th April 2008, 20:18
This happened to me as well. A message appeared saying my computer was infrected by a trojan. It turned out to be a shower of chancers trying to sell me the software needed to remove the crap they put on. I reported it to AOL but had to return my computer to its factory settings to getrid of the trojan.

Robbie