Sand Serin

Gorhol
25th March 2008, 16:39
Hello all,

I have noticed that the Sand Serin has been moored in Chatham for about the last ten days. She is a regular down here at Shoreham and she spent a few days tied up at the beginning of the month, at which time the Sand Weaver began to visit the Cemex depot.

She then made a brief trip down to Poole, then back to Shoreham for two days, then on to Chatham, where it seems she has stayed. It looks as though Sand Weaver has taken over and the Sand Harrier even made a rare drop.

Is this a bad sign?

Regards
Gor

John Gurton
25th March 2008, 20:39
She's moored alongside the A&P yard on berth No 5. Where all the Sand ships go for repairs,

Gorhol
25th March 2008, 22:28
Thanks very much for that John, hopefully she will be up and running soon.

Kind regards
Gor

Gorhol
17th April 2008, 21:59
Hello again

Sadly, Sand Serin remains in Chatham, over one month now. However, she has recently been shifted from her berth to make way for Sand Harrier.

I have also noticed that Sand Weaver has also been tied up for the last two weeks at 101 berth Southampton. Cemex appear to be three sand boats down at the moment.

Any clues anyone?

Regards
Gor

sandman
18th April 2008, 19:32
Builders normally have a quiet time around mid march to the end of april(end of Tax yr),but there again the Serin is normallyon the Newhaven run

Gorhol
19th April 2008, 11:54
Cheers for that Sandman, I hadn't considered the effect of a slack period in the building trade. Makes sense though.

Sand Heron made a rare visit to Shoreham to make a drop.

Regards
Gor

John Gurton
20th April 2008, 12:24
Gor,
At the pilot station we've had "tile" out for the Sand Serin all last week to sail.
A phone call through stated that they were waiting for a spare part. Visibly she's in a bit of a state and needs some TLC, we would have thought a crew would have managed this during it's time of idleness. It does make one ponder its fate?
Rgds
John

Gorhol
21st April 2008, 22:47
John, again thanks very much for taking the time to check and post a reply for me, it's much appreciated.

I also had anticipated that she must have been having a fairly sizeable makeover during her stay, and had the camera ready for her gleaming return to Shoreham.

Perhaps her next destination is for a period in dry dock, one can only hope.

One possible cause for optimism is the fact that a couple of her peers remain in service. The Sand Swan, on the mersey, and also the Norstone (ex Sand Skua) which was in Shoreham this morning.

Kind regards
Gor

Gorhol
2nd May 2008, 22:26
Hi all

Not much movement with the situation. Serin has stopped transmitting AIS so I guess the batteries have finally run out.

Sand Weaver still remains laid up in Southampton.

This seems an odd situation to me, all the other regular UK dredgers continue to operate normally, and it appears Cemex have chartered some deliveries to Shoreham by Swanland, and she is not a dredger. I did wonder briefly if this was connected to a rise in fuel prices, but surely Cemex would not be troubled by this?

Interestingly, I have come across some pictures of Sand Weaver and Sand Swan, laid up on the River Fal in 2001, however, this must have been at different times as they are both shown tied to the port side of Arena. I have family ties to Cornwall, but did not know about the lay-up area at Falmouth.

Regards
Gor

Pilot mac
3rd May 2008, 09:23
Gor,
Swanland is carrying Type 1 ex Llandullas not MDA.
regards
Dave

Gorhol
3rd May 2008, 13:20
Thanks for that info, Pilot Mac. I hadn't considered that she may not be delivering sand agg.

Regards
Gor

uk083590
5th May 2008, 23:15
don't you all talk rubbish in here, the sand serin is laid up because of trouble with her switchboard, the sand weaver is waiting to go to drydock

how do i know????????? i was the chief mate on the sand serin for 14 years and have just paid off the weaver,

ps the serin hasn't been to newhaven for 3 years since the plant closed down

Runrig
6th May 2008, 22:44
don't you all talk rubbish in here, the sand serin is laid up because of trouble with her switchboard, the sand weaver is waiting to go to drydock

how do i know????????? i was the chief mate on the sand serin for 14 years and have just paid off the weaver,

ps the serin hasn't been to newhaven for 3 years since the plant closed down
At last, someone with the courage to say what some of us think! The meaningless speculation and half-baked ideas that masquerade as knowledge sometimes make me cringe.

Gorhol
7th May 2008, 12:00
Apologies Runrig, but I asked the initial question, precisely because I did not have any knowledge of the situation. I believed that one of the salient features of these forums was for members to share information, and I am very grateful to those that added their thoughts.

Thankfully, after a fairly small amount of good-natured speculation, uk083590 gave us his news and, regardless of how it was given, I am now fully furnished with the facts. No more need for half-baked ideas, job done.

Best regards
Gor

booma
7th May 2008, 13:06
Strange????? I came along this thread and have worked all the sand and bow ships and was tickled by some of the comments. Question for UK083590 I went into your profile to welcome you to the site and noted your age is 35 very impressive for chief mate 14 years on sand serin very young age 21 when you started as chief mate. forgive me if I sound rude but I just don't remember any one that young on any of the sand ships ?

Runrig
7th May 2008, 14:16
Apologies Runrig, but I asked the initial question, precisely because I did not have any knowledge of the situation. I believed that one of the salient features of these forums was for members to share information, and I am very grateful to those that added their thoughts.
It's nothing personal, Gorhol.

I have no problem with people asking questions. Nor have I a problem with the sharing of information. But it must be exactly that - information. As I said, I am very uncomfortable about speculation which is a very different beast.

This does not apply to what you wrote, but I'm sure that some of the postings could be the subject of litigation if written in a book.

SHM 078
10th May 2008, 09:36
FYI Sand Serin is due to dock Shoreham Today at 1300hrs showing on AIS just outside shoreham on the anchorage awaiting tidal heights id imagine,

Marc

graham moore
12th May 2008, 22:40
Runrig, don't knock speculation; it's a consequence of enquiring minds trying to make sense of what we see. After all Darwin and Einstein haven't been proved yet !!

Gorhol
13th May 2008, 21:32
Hi all, apologies for delay in posting.

No offence taken Runrig.

Cheers for that marc, also spotted Vlaanderenxxi back at Shoreham at the mo.

No reason to stop the idle speculation, as Sand Weaver has been laid-up in Southampton for six weeks, I would have thought they would have kept her in service, unless she has a fault.

Regards
Merl

Gorhol
14th May 2008, 21:40
Just spotted Sand Weaver on shipais, having a trip around the Isle of Wight.

Her destination is showing as Portmouth 08.30 hrs tomorrow morning.

She could have gone straight in from Southampton, and as far as I know there is no sand depot at Pompey.

Sea trails/tests perhaps?

Regards
Gor

awateah2
14th May 2008, 23:55
Pounds Srapyard ?

Gorhol
15th May 2008, 00:11
Good call awateah2, nothing but landing craft and a chain ferry last time I went by.

But surely not for the Weaver?

She has years left in her yet.

Will be watching shipais in the morning though.

Regards
Gor

pillhobbler
15th May 2008, 00:50
She was looking rough when in avonmouth sometime ago and I can remember talking to one of the crew about the state and future of her.

Gorhol
15th May 2008, 16:10
She anchored close to the Needles dredge area overnight, and is now back at 101 berth Southampton.

Tied up right in front of the webcam at the moment. (Apologies, it was UKD Bluefin)

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/webcams.htm

Did the crew member tell you anything of interest Pillhobbler?

Regards
Gor

pillhobbler
15th May 2008, 22:21
Cant remember much is was a few months ago now.

Gorhol
21st May 2008, 21:05
Hi all, it seems Sand Weaver was indeed awaiting dry-dock.

Two days ago she made her way back down to the Needles Dredge area where she was met by a tug that towed her around the southern coast of the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth. She is Currently in dry-dock no 15.

Regards
Gor

SHM 078
25th May 2008, 16:30
Sand serin currently docked shoreham harbour undergoing repairs by the looks of things, will try and get some pics up of her in situ,

Marc

Meze
20th June 2008, 23:26
I have it on good authority that Sand Weaver is in Pompey drydock for steelwork. Could have been in Southampton awaiting available timeslot.

jethro
3rd August 2009, 14:45
Sand Serin is now along side in Waterford ,Ireland .Also from Southampton tied up astern is Tenex. Photos will be up soon as I figure how to post them.
I don't know if Serin got here under her own steam or if she was towed by Tenex.

peter potts
3rd August 2009, 20:39
Sand Serin left tees noon 28th july under tow with Tenex bound for Waterford

jethro
3rd August 2009, 21:02
Sand Serin left tees noon 28th july under tow with Tenex bound for Waterford

There is a breakers yard just up river,wonder is thats where she is heading? This yard has mostly dredgers,photos later as there is sommat wrong with our broadband and I can't get any joy out of it right now [ its tipping down and we have a bit of flooding ]

Gorhol
4th August 2009, 21:22
Cheers for the update Jethro, looking forward to the pics. Hopefully she is not bound for the breakers, she has had plenty of maintenance work in the last 12 months.

Regards
Gor

jethro
4th August 2009, 21:43
Cheers for the update Jethro, looking forward to the pics. Hopefully she is not bound for the breakers, she has had plenty of maintenance work in the last 12 months.

Regards
Gor
Just done the photos Gor, hope you can find them and if you want them full sized [ 4.6maggie bites ] just PM and i will do me best .

Gorhol
4th August 2009, 22:24
Nice catch Jethro, thanks for those. As you can tell, from comparing her in other shots on here, she looks pretty neglected.

Sad Times.

Regards
Gor

jethro
6th August 2009, 15:32
Sad news is that she was towed to the breakers just this PM. I took a load of photos as she was towed upriver ,through the lift bridge and pushed alongside .I may get on board Friday, I have been meaning to get into that yard for photos for a while now.

jethro
6th August 2009, 18:33
I have posted 3 more photos as she was towed and pushed to the wreckers. These are low quality photos and I took many more of the event.I can put them on cd if anyone wants same or email them .

Gorhol
17th August 2009, 21:58
I have posted 3 more photos as she was towed and pushed to the wreckers. These are low quality photos and I took many more of the event.I can put them on cd if anyone wants same or email them .

Thanks again for the update, do you know the name of the breakers she is at?

Regards
Gor

Gorhol
30th October 2009, 01:34
Update on Sand Serin, it appears it may not be all over for this dredger.

I was searching for information on Sand Weaver, she remains laid-up in Avonmouth, and came across an advert for Sand Serin.

http://www.dredgebrokers.com/Dredges_Hopper/90938-DS/Dredger.html

Although hopes are slightly raised for the fate of Sand Serin, it should be noted that Sand Swan has been advertised on this site for over a year.

Regards
Gor

Gorhol
7th March 2011, 00:06
I have a sketchy update on the fate of the Sand Serin. It seems she may now be operating under the name 'Swat Links 9'. I have no idea as to where she is, although she now could be under a Panamanian flag.

Regards
Gor

KEITH SEVILLE
7th March 2011, 08:27
Gorhol

I have been checking and she is now called Swat Links 9 under Panamanian
Flag. Her owners are Swat Link, Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
Still in service 2011!!

Regards
Keith

Tony Shaw
8th March 2011, 16:26
So, my last command is still going strong. I wonder if she is, in fact, operating in Nigeria, and if she managed to get there under her own steam. If she did it would have been quite a feat for her as her engines were almost "rung off" according to our last two engineers .!!

Gorhol
13th March 2011, 23:05
On the face of it, it would seem that she has had a busy time recently. However, it appears that all the changes have been purely administrative, apart from the fact that her AIS is working again. Web searches show that she is indeed now called 'Swat Links 9' and also that prior to this she was named 'Fast Serin' and was offered for hire. Sadly, according to her AIS signal, she remains in Waterford.

Regards
Gor

tony smith
6th April 2011, 11:02
Renamed Fastnet Serin for a time, now berthed in Waterford as the the "Swat Links 9", She is currently being prepaired for survey, ourselves receiving a request to replace missing 20 modules for the machinery alarm system.
Tony Smith, Radamec Controls (Newbury Diesel).

smartcar
19th April 2011, 23:05
So, my last command is still going strong. I wonder if she is, in fact, operating in Nigeria, and if she managed to get there under her own steam. If she did it would have been quite a feat for her as her engines were almost "rung off" according to our last two engineers .!!

She was the first ship sailed on in South Coast Shipping - I joined her at Hamble Jetty in June 1975 as DHU, at that time she must have been nearly new. Also at that time the company worked two weeks on and one week off, the two Masters were Mike Simmons and John Dines. Later Mike went on to take the Sand Wader and Peter Whittle took over.

Peter Little

mareng53
2nd July 2013, 15:45
Did the Sand Serin ever leave Waterford or is she still there slowly disintegrating?

granty
3rd July 2013, 06:54
hi
just for info Sand Heron being discharged by Grab in Shoreham
cheers
granty