BP shipping pension

mofnotmuff
27th March 2008, 21:15
can anybody help, I worked for the company between 1981 and 1985. I cant remember if i was in a pension scheme - did one exist? - if so any clues how i can contact the company to see if i can transfer it etc.The last thing on my mind at 22 was a pension but time has flown and i need to sort it out.

cheers

John_F
28th March 2008, 18:59
Moffnotmuff,
I served with BP from 1959 - 1964, almost 6 years. I was definitely in the pension scheme & still have the paperwork to prove it. However, I recently (last year) enquired whether I was entitled to anything but was advised by BP that, as I hadn't completed 10 years with the Company, I wasn't eligible for anything. Its possible that things may have changed between 1964 & 1981 when you joined but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Hope this is of some help.
Kind regards,
John.

beverlonian
28th March 2008, 19:10
I have recently been contacted by the Pension Group - address is:

BP UK Pensions & Benefits
Chertsey Road
Sunbury on Thames
Middlesex
TW16 7LN

Phone 0845 602 1063
Fax 01932 763 630
E-mail: pensions@bp.com

Hope this helps.

mofnotmuff
28th March 2008, 20:26
thanks for that - i have also been contacted by email from an SN member who has given mee solid advice

cheers

John_F
28th March 2008, 20:55
It might still be worthwhile registering your interest. Although I'm not a pensioner (on the books, anyway) I managed to get an invite to BP Shipping's 90th anniversary bash for pensioners, held at the RN College, Greenwich, a couple of years ago, a very good do. Won't be too long before the Centenary. See you there (assuming I get an invite.)!
Would be interested in hearing what advice you received & whether it bears more fruit than my enquiry did.
Kind regards,
John.

Duncan112
29th March 2008, 17:45
I was with BP shipping as engineer cadet between those dates and on redundancy was given a letter advising me that as I had insufficient time in company service to qualify for membership of the BP scheme they were going to make a post dated contribution to SERPS as though I had belonged to that scheme for the duration of my cadetship.

Duncan.

macrae
22nd April 2008, 13:11
I was with BP shipping as engineer cadet between those dates and on redundancy was given a letter advising me that as I had insufficient time in company service to qualify for membership of the BP scheme they were going to make a post dated contribution to SERPS as though I had belonged to that scheme for the duration of my cadetship.

Duncan.

MY SITUATION IS SIMILAR TO YOURS DUNCAN.
I WAS IN BP SHIPPING PENSION SCHEME IN THE EARLY 60IES FOR 6 YEARS AND ON MAKING ENQUIRIES WAS TOLD AT THAT TIME IT WAS NECESSARY TO BE IN IT FOR 10.
SO!! GOT NIL(Cloud)

peter83
22nd April 2008, 16:47
This is all very interesting, as my five years in BP was the only pension scheme that I did not transfer during my working life. I have a letter ready to post off to the BP scheme, but after reading the above I don't think I will waste the money of a stamp. (a true Scotsman)

paul0510
22nd April 2008, 16:59
Spent 8 years with BP (67-75) and receive a yearly review of my deferred pension....ain't much but it all adds up!

derekhore
23rd April 2008, 16:41
I spent nearly 7 years with BP from 1970-1977 as Deck Cadet & 3/0, making regular monthly contributions to their pension scheme.

My BP pension was then transferred to the MNOPF, but I can't remember if it was at my request or done automatically when I left BP for Wallems!

mpkk
23rd April 2008, 19:04
I was with BP for 15 years (66-81) and my pension was definitely non contributary. Have just started receiving it as I turned 60 last month - as you say Paul - not a lot but it sure helps

Regards Jon

GeorgeM13
23rd April 2008, 22:42
I was 21 when I was invited to join the BP Pension Scheme. I had been sailing as 3/O for a year and a half by that time and making contributions to the MNOPF which were returned to me on joining the non-contributary BP scheme. It was the fastest that I ever signed any form. In 77 when I was shown the gangway for the last time they offered to defer my pension or transfer it to another scheme. As it was, a few months later I was back working for BP again, not at sea, so I rejoined the the BP scheme. In 2002 at the ripe old age of 52 my services were no longer required again due to ill health and a strong desire by the BP management in Grangemouth to reduce numbers. Now I am one of the lucky ones in that I benefitted fully from the BP scheme. The same cannot be said for the guys BP left behind in Grangemouth who are now going out on strike to keep the same pension benefits as they had with BP.
Cheers George

HENNEGANOL
28th April 2008, 10:20
In the late 1950's, pensionable service started from the age of 18 and you had to have ten years service before you qualified for a pension. The sheme was always Non Contributory. At some later date, I can't remember when, the terms were changed and it was no longer necessary to serve ten years to qualify.

Incidentally even in those days the retirement age for Sea Going staff was 55!

Gerry

willhastie
30th April 2008, 09:53
i was only with bp tankers 1971-77 and my pension is now 1500 quid per annum,not a lot but then i dident do 10 years.a nice lady by the name of claire brown at bp writes to me, title pension administrator phone01932 762028,go for it guys its yours not bps

de paor
2nd May 2008, 13:21
was with BP from 1961 to 1973 and they started paying a pension from age 60. not all that much but as was said it all adds up. 10 yrs was the length of service mentioned to qualify

Johnsox
26th November 2008, 15:50
Just seen this thread I was a sparks with BP from 1969 to 1972 I was in the pension scheme and it was non contributary and when I left I was told that any pension would be deferred till I was 65. I enquired a few years ago if I was entitled to anything and I was told in a letter from BP pension service that I was entitled to the grand sum of 1.88 per annum!!! payable from when I reached the age of 65. I have now reached that venerable age and will contact them again for an update. And probably ask that instead of paying it to me that they pay it to the RNLI or some other seamans charity.
I will let you know how it pans out!
regards
John