Benkitlan

Bob S
25th May 2005, 19:47
BENKITLAN passing Tilbury.
Built 1946, 9868 tons.

tanker
25th May 2005, 19:59
Yes Bob they were 5 similars,she had former name CITY OF SWANSEA is correct?
Gp

thunderd
26th May 2005, 01:36
She must have gone to the breakers not too long after the photo as I'm pretty sure she wasn't in the fleet when I joined Ben line in 1956

Bob S
26th May 2005, 13:56
That's right Tanker, ex: Ellerman's. I believe I took the photo probably early 1970's?
Thanks Dave, Ron has just sent me a "restored" copy, you beat me to the "post", so to speak.
I'll have to get a program so that I can restore my faded photos before posting.

stoker
19th July 2005, 00:51
I did a coast on her in 1969, I remember her having a very old model Doxford engine, the type with a center scavange pump, the Fridge plant was off the top of the Engine Room and used Ammonia so the Engine room staff never had a blocked nose! also there was a great crowd of lads on her.

Steve
19th July 2005, 00:55
Welcome to SN Stoker

Dave Edge
19th July 2005, 03:46
"Benkitlan" was built by Barclay Curle in 1946 as "City of Swansea". In 1968 renamed "Benkitlan" and 3 Spetember 1972 arrived Kaohsiung for breaking up.

Jack Pitcher
10th December 2005, 08:01
I was 3rd Mate on Benkitlan on her first voyage under Ben Line. Was not impressed at the time and left after the round trip to Far East, left Ben Line too and went to Shell tankers.

Black Sea Kid
15th February 2006, 18:12
I was 3rd Mate on Benkitlan on her first voyage under Ben Line. Was not impressed at the time and left after the round trip to Far East, left Ben Line too and went to Shell tankers.

Hi Jack,

I was the other way round, impressed with Ben Line but not with the Benkitlan. 2 FE jungle runs on the ship, early '70's - might have been marginally better if the cabin fans worked. My cabin was port side, under the bridge deck and after night duty loading timber in Rajang or Telok Ayar, trying to get some sleep with the deck head blistering with heat was my start on the road to enjoying a can of luke warm Tennents anytime of the day or night.

All the best/BSK

ruud
15th February 2006, 18:35
Ahoy,

Here her details by Graeme Somner:
Entered Ben Line Service 1968
Ended Ben Line Service 1972
Year scrapped 1972
Gross Tonnage 9,868
Net Tonnage 5,618
Deadweight 11,740
Length 498
Beam 64
Depth 30
Engine Type 6 cyl. Doxford
Horse Power 6,600 bhp
Max Speed 14.5 kts
Notes:
1946 - completed by Barclay, Curle & Co Ltd., Glasgow,
Yard No 703 for Ellerman Lines Ltd. as CITY OF SWANSEA
1968 - Acquired and renamed BENKITLAN
1972 - arrived in Kaohsiung for breaking

EBenarty
19th February 2006, 00:32
You should have stayed !! You should have been cadet on the Nevis our cabin was right aft beside the funnel and we used to sleep on deck because of the heat

g4gbp
1st February 2009, 21:37
I was 2nd Radio Officer on Benkitlan from July 70 - Jan 71. Her wireless callsign was GBZT. We went from London to Penang, Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok, Rejang River and back again. Yes it was hot and unventilated but I went on to travel on some better and some exactly the same. happy days!

ian keyl
25th March 2009, 19:36
I did a coast and voyage then part of a coast on the Kitlan leaving her in Hamburg in Feb 1970 I was third mate there and a good happy ship until the favourite tennants kicked in.

One night on watch i heard a comotion downstairs so i sent the cadet to investigate ,he came running back up to say the 4th eng was astride the chief eng and knocking seven bells out of him and blood was coming from the chiefs mouth and nose.

I had a quick look around and told him and the chinese qm to keep a look a out i knocked the mate up who's cabin was next door to the lounge on the for'd end of the accomdation .

We went in and had to do a bit of dirty work to get the 4th off the chief as the 4th would not agree to go to his cabin the mate said to hand cuff him and put in the Hospital.
We dragged him down the alleyway to the hospital and hand cuffed him to a down pipe in the hospital .
Next dayat breakfast the chief did not appear and we told the 2nd what had ahppened and he said leave the 4th there till he cooled offby Lunch time they were all back on scene as if nothing had happend except the chief had swollen lips and the 4th a cauliflower ear where i had given him a short jab . The old man said nothing about unless he said something to the chief seperatly but he never asked the mate and I what had gone on.

It was the usual to much beer in one night when at sea.

I never met the 4th again but he did stay with the company and was a good engineer he came from Glasgow where he had talked about having ding dongs in the local pub. The chief was also from Glasgow and came across to Ben when we took over the five ships . the chief's name was Airey.
The old man was also from Ellemans Ron.C.Thomas.

The jungle runs and the heat was a good leveler.

Talking about her doxford engine ,when i left her I think she was going in to drydock for some bed plate repairs i think.

Rgds ian.