Usb Dvd-t Tv Stick

Anchorman
29th March 2008, 12:48
I have just bought a USB DVD-T TV STICK for use with my laptop when I go to sea. Anyone use one ? if so what is the best portable aerial. I have seen one advertised a "MAGIC WAND PORTABLE TV / FREEVIEW SIGNAL BOOSTER AERIAL" wondered if it was any good. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Neil

trotterdotpom
29th March 2008, 12:59
Huh?

John T.

Anchorman
29th March 2008, 13:16
Huh?

John T.

Sorry John. Its a "thingy" you stick in the side of the laptop to convert it into a tv. Cost about 12 . Mine works on the house aerial, but the one supplied is no good. Which propmpted my question.
Neil

benjidog
29th March 2008, 14:44
Never come across one of these doofers but I doubt if you will get much of a signal unless pretty near to land Neil. Might work in the English Channel though as you can pick up UK TV stations in France, Belgium and Holland with a decent aerial.

You would need a satellite receiver otherwise I think.

Brian

Anchorman
29th March 2008, 15:04
Never come across one of these doofers but I doubt if you will get much of a signal unless pretty near to land Neil. Might work in the English Channel though as you can pick up UK TV stations in France, Belgium and Holland with a decent aerial.

You would need a satellite receiver otherwise I think.

Brian

Its only for use in port Brian so should be okay. It works perfect at home on the house aerial. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for a portable aerial that works.
Neil

benjidog
29th March 2008, 15:11
Of course the other thing to think about is where you will be and how well it is shielded - inside a steel hull I would think the signal would be pretty well attenuated if not blanked out completely. Would be all right on deck though.

Brian

treeve
29th March 2008, 16:24
Mate of mine around the corner has just bought one for under a tenner .. the picture quality is no less than astounding. Off a standard aerial. If only the programmes were of the same standard and without those irritating dogs.

BlythSpirit
29th March 2008, 16:49
If only the programmes were of the same standard and without those irritating dogs.

Treeve - that's an awful thing to say about our Dog-eared Super Moderator's Avatar!!(Jester)

K urgess
29th March 2008, 16:52
You might consider a caravan aerial, Neil.
They usually come with a multivoltage aerial amplifier and are omni-directional.
Salaams
Kris

Anchorman
29th March 2008, 17:12
Of course the other thing to think about is where you will be and how well it is shielded - inside a steel hull I would think the signal would be pretty well attenuated if not blanked out completely. .

Brian

I was thinking more of watching the cricket on a nice hot day on the monkey island, with a glass of eh lemonade.

Neil

Anchorman
29th March 2008, 17:12
You might consider a caravan aerial, Neil.
They usually come with a multivoltage aerial amplifier and are omni-directional.
Salaams
Kris

Thats a thought, thanks Kris. I will look into it.
Neil

treeve
29th March 2008, 17:14
If only all dogs were like Benji.

vasco
29th March 2008, 17:37
I have just bought a USB DVD-T TV STICK for use with my laptop when I go to sea. Anyone use one ? if so what is the best portable aerial. I have seen one advertised a "MAGIC WAND PORTABLE TV / FREEVIEW SIGNAL BOOSTER AERIAL" wondered if it was any good. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Neil

Anchorman I have a KWORLD analogue/digital usb stick and I use this aerial from argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344857/Trail/searchtext%3EAERIALS.htm in the porthole around the coast it works fine, sometimes 20' off shore. Really depends on Location, Location, Location. The advantage with the digital is you also get continental tv as well, and off course you can record, and you get channel 5 in Milford! On average if I can't get digital, the analogue works, though a bit snowy.

Maplin have some as well,click here http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=MAGIC%20WAND%20AERIAL

Anchorman
29th March 2008, 18:43
Anchorman I have a KWORLD analogue/digital usb stick and I use this aerial from argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344857/Trail/searchtext%3EAERIALS.htm in the porthole around the coast it works fine, sometimes 20' off shore. Really depends on Location, Location, Location. The advantage with the digital is you also get continental tv as well, and off course you can record, and you get channel 5 in Milford! On average if I can't get digital, the analogue works, though a bit snowy.

Maplin have some as well,click here http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=MAGIC%20WAND%20AERIAL

Thanks Vasgo info much appreciated. 20 Miles off sounds fine for reception. Bit different to 2 coathangers on a broom shaft.
Neil

vasco
29th March 2008, 19:43
Thanks Vasgo info much appreciated. 20 Miles off sounds fine for reception. Bit different to 2 coathangers on a broom shaft.
Neil

My pleasure.

The Filipinos use a coke can. Cut off the top, cut down the sides and fan out. Works well.