Researching Old Gloucester & Somerset Vessels & Trows

Brian Humphreys
30th March 2008, 08:12
My Grandparents originate from Burnham / Highbridge on the one side and Saul / Frampton areas of Glos. on the other.
My Mother's Father Melbourne Knight and his Father, William were Master Mariners. The Sarah was a Coaster and I think she would trade on the Severn and tributaries. Other ships I have found - Blue Bell (lost 1892) and Gratitude. Bridgwater came into play and that is where my Grandparents resided. Grandfather Melbourne Knight died in 1922. His Father William Knight died in Bridgwater also - Roseberry Ave.

On my Grandmother's side - her name was Woodward. There were huge families of them in Burnham / Highbridge and some of the vessels they are recorded on in 1871 - 'NELLEY' and also 'FLORA' (a Trow) in 1881 'JULIA' and also 'NORAH'

Both sets of Grandparents were Mariners and their off spring were either Mariners or Master Mariners.
I've gone back through the census records to 1841 but have only found references in these. I would love to know more about what they did. The census records have the ships in dock on - Penarth Mud, Newport, West Bute, Cardiff, Tenby, Bridgwater, Highbrige etc. I'm guessing they were the HGV's of yesterday delivering coal from Wales etc. Does anyone have any good web sites which can fill me in?

Thanks

Brian

non descript
30th March 2008, 08:33
Brian, a warm welcome to you; thank you for joining the community; I would think that some of the Members will be able to guide you on this research, in the meantime please enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

gdynia
30th March 2008, 08:51
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

David Davies
30th March 2008, 10:33
Brian Welcome
The book "The Last of the Sailing Coasters" by Edmund Eglinton, published by Her Majesty's Stationary Office !982 and the National Maritime Museum will furnish you with much relevant information. It is full of reminiscences and observations of the days in the Severn trows, ketches and schooners.With a brief look in the book I've found an old photo of the trow Nellie, not Nelley, which fits the date. Hope this informationwill get you started.

Bruce Carson
30th March 2008, 13:35
Brian, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
A superb introduction and I wish you much success in your research.
I'ts good to have you onboard.

Bruce

K urgess
30th March 2008, 15:45
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Brian.
A very interesting introduction and a little help already.
I'm sure if our members can help then they soon will.
Meanwhile find your way around this ship and enjoy the voyage.

Brian Humphreys
2nd April 2008, 21:21
Brian Welcome
The book "The Last of the Sailing Coasters" by Edmund Eglinton, published by Her Majesty's Stationary Office !982 and the National Maritime Museum will furnish you with much relevant information. It is full of reminiscences and observations of the days in the Severn trows, ketches and schooners.With a brief look in the book I've found an old photo of the trow Nellie, not Nelley, which fits the date. Hope this informationwill get you started.

David

Very much obliged. I have found yet another spelling re Nellie which is Nelly. Went to Purton on Sunday and picked up some useful information from Historian Paul Barnett.
Thanks again. Will get book.

Brian

Brian Humphreys
2nd June 2008, 21:14
Brian Welcome

David

Got the book read it without putting it down - almost. It has a complete chapter oin Sarah, myt Great Grandadd's ship.

Many Thanks for your help.

Brian

R58484956
3rd June 2008, 10:21
Greetings Brian and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.