Hello from Lemschout

Lemschout
2nd April 2008, 20:06
Hello,
“Lemschout” is an alias made by contracting the first syllables of the two discoverers of the Cape Horn: LEMaire and SCHOUTen, two personalities which are typical of the seafaring world of all ages. They were thrown in jail for having discovered this new route to reach the Dutch East Indies. Nowadays, masters are still easily harassed by the authorities for accidents they had no or little power to control: ERIKA, PRESTIGE, HEBEI SPIRIT, ZIM MEXICO… among many others.
Normally I am not so interested in pure nostalgia, but well in maritime history as far as it can be used to understand and improve all the factors affecting commercial shipping. But on this forum I discovered that nostalgia can be an significant source of proved common sense and important facts.
Experience: a good 30 years at sea up to master on bulkers and containers, got several jobs after bankruptcy of company until I finally settled as Maritime inspector for the Belgian administration.

Further details can be found at http://users.skynet.be/p.woinin/swptcv.htm

I saw already quite a few topics where I could add some interesting details, but my present function require a total discretion on the information obtained in the scope of my work. Unless of course the information cannot traced to any particular ship but could be useful to enhance safety.

(Thumb)

non descript
2nd April 2008, 21:27
Pierre, Firstly a warm welcome to you; thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

Secondly, your joining must be the quickest coincidence is some time... I located your personal site when looking on the web for extra details of the President Kasavubu last night, and made a mental note to invite you to join ... you beat me to it.

The link to that wonderful CMZ ship is located here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111513)

surfaceblow
2nd April 2008, 21:29
Welcome Lemschout I hope you have time to post here and continue with Marine L.

Joe

K urgess
2nd April 2008, 21:54
Welcome to the crew.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the voyage.

sparkie2182
2nd April 2008, 22:32
hello from cumbria....england

benjidog
2nd April 2008, 23:37
Welcome from the North-West of England.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
3rd April 2008, 06:19
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Lemschout
3rd April 2008, 08:12
Thanks to all for the welcome and especially to Tonga who awakened a sensible spot in my CV: the "President Kasa Vubu".

The pictures show a poorly maintained ship, and for sure the steel made it difficult to fight corrosion, but I shall propose quite a few better views of that Japanese built vessel once I have found picture insert the system on this forum.

The KasaVubu was built for speed, some 19 knots, more like a war ship than a cargo vessel. The lines were so fine that, with the wind astern, it was still making a few knots one hour after the engines had been stopped.

But a bad consequence was that its stability was very poor, certainly when the central bunker tanks were nearly empty. Once in Yokohama we took a 15 degree list when the tugs were pulling us from the berth. Heard one previous captain saying that a sharp turn in Douala caused a 30 degrees list, and that a sister ship capsized.

With the waves coming from the stern, it was sensible to parametric rolling, a phenomenon only studied since a few years to explain the loss of thousands of boxes from the actual large container vessels. But on the KasaVubu it was easy to correct just by reducing the speed from 19 to some 15 knots.

Bruce Carson
4th April 2008, 03:12
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Lemschout.
Good to have you onboard and we'll be watching for your future postings.

Bruce

Lemschout
4th April 2008, 08:36
One pix of the KasaVubu while discharging in Hong Kong in 1976.

Rudolph.A.Furtado
7th April 2008, 13:22
Sir,
Welcome to the "Internet age" of shipping Information and the crew of "Ship Nostalgia". Memories are life-long.
Regards,
Rudolph