Chinese ship hits bridge

Jeffers
3rd April 2008, 07:32
Saw this on the BBC this morning. There's no details of any injuries yet. Wonder what happened? http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7320000/newsid_7326100?redirect=7326163.stm&news=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1&asb=1

non descript
3rd April 2008, 09:02
Sadly at least 4 people were lost and one report states:

China's maritime search and rescue centre said on Thursday that four crew were missing after a cargoship hit a bridge under construction near Ningbo.
The vessel, named as Qinfeng 128, struck Jintang Bridge in the early hours, causing the collapse of a 3,000-tonne, 60-metre-long section that fell onto the ship.
Sixteen of the crew have been rescued, with the missing four thought to be trapped inside by the impact. Nobody was working on the bridge at the time, the centre said.
Salvage teams and tugs were trying to free the ship on Thursday.
The 134-metre, 7,000-dwt vessel, which was in ballast and not listed in shipping databases, is owned by a local shipping company.
An investigation will be launched into the accident.

benjidog
3rd April 2008, 23:01
Looks rather ghastly!

Doesn't look like there is much clearance between water level and that bridge - reminds you of those accidents when a bus goes under a low bridge. I wonder if they forgot about the new bridge being there and were following old habits going down that waterway?

Brian

cawky
3rd April 2008, 23:52
Looks rather ghastly!

Doesn't look like there is much clearance between water level and that bridge - reminds you of those accidents when a bus goes under a low bridge. I wonder if they forgot about the new bridge being there and were following old habits going down that waterway?

Brian

\That is exactly what i was going to say,
the ship has hit the deck of the bridge???