Amanda Davies says Hello and asks for help with Italian info

amanda davies
3rd April 2008, 21:13
first time on this forum, so I appologise now for all spelling and gramma in advance.

I am looking for any advice on how to find out about Italian merchant ships.

specifically information on the Italo Balbo (143206) sank 1941. I know where and when she sank, who sunk her and her previous names. what I would like to know is a crew list / casualty list and an account of her sinking.

I assume that the Italians commemorated their merchant navy too, but I have not been able to find anything on the net to help me with this ( not speaking Italian probably doesn't help)

I have posted this request on two other forums but it goes strangly silent.

I assumed that because there is a wealth of info on the net for allied services that there would also be the same for non allies?

If anyone can shed some light on what I am doing wrong, where I should be looking, possible sites etc I would be really greatful,

thanks.

benjidog
3rd April 2008, 23:18
Welcome to SN from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

I am moving your post into the Say Hello forum where it will be seen by more people. We have a number of Italian members so maybe one of them will be able to help you. Good luck with your research.

Regards,

Brian

Trevorw
3rd April 2008, 23:22
Amanda

If you come up with anything, please let me know. I've been searching for info about s.s. "Avior", a rusting, ex British tramp ship, which sank in a gale off Socotra in 1959, but have drawn a complete blank!

non descript
3rd April 2008, 23:22
Amanda, a warm welcome to you and as we have a fair number of excellent Italian Members on here, I am sure you will find good replies; in the meantime thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

ps. If my grasp of a foreign language was a fraction as good as yours, I would be more than happy. (Thumb)

K urgess
3rd April 2008, 23:24
Welcome aboard from northern England, Amanda.
I'm sure someone in our crew will be able to help.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
4th April 2008, 02:58
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Amanda.
I hope help with your problem will be forthcoming from our members.

Bruce

gdynia
4th April 2008, 07:58
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage.

Heres abit info for you http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/63522