Maxvaight says Hello and asks for help with info about his Dad

maxvaight
6th April 2008, 02:07
Hi Everyone!

New to this forum and glad you're all here! Can anyone help me?

I'm looking for the passenger list of the Calchas (Blue Funnel Line British merchant ship), sunk by U-107 on 21st april, 1941.

My father, A.B. John Vaight, was in charge of a lifeboat containing one woman passenger, an Australian. I am trying to find her name.
Apparently, according to verbal family histrory (my Uncle) she was the wife of an Australian dignitory, whom, grateful for saving his wife, held a formal dinner, in austrailia after the war, in honour of my father. My father travelled from england to australia to attend.

I am trying to find more info on this dinner and woman. Or even anything about my dad~
Can anyone help me? perhaps some advice on how i might find out?

Max Vaight
Toronto, Canada

benjidog
6th April 2008, 19:54
Welcome from Lancashire UK.

I hope you will enjoy the site and that someone will be able to help with your enquiry.

I am moving your thread to the Say Hello forum as it will get more exposure there.

Regards,

Brian

non descript
6th April 2008, 20:35
Max, a warm welcome to you; thank you for joining the community and hopefully you will secure some good replies; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

K urgess
6th April 2008, 23:26
Welcome aboard from northern England, Max.
I'm sure someone in our knowledgeable crew will be able to help or tell you where to look.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

gdynia
7th April 2008, 04:06
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Gulpers
8th April 2008, 21:59
Max,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime, have a good look around the site. (Thumb)