brian kernaghan

brian kernaghan
7th April 2008, 16:59
Just signed on the good ship Nostalgia, interested to hear from any old shipmates in the Head Line out of Belfast, 1959 onwards. I now live in Spain and work for a marine safety company.

K urgess
7th April 2008, 17:00
Welcome to the crew, Brian.
I hope you'll find some shipmates aboard from your days with Head Line.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.

Derek Roger
7th April 2008, 17:02
Welcome from Canada . Regards Derek

mclean
7th April 2008, 17:54
Welcome Brian, from western canada,(ex.Bangor NI). Guess you did your tickets at Blythe Street? A couple of Head Line guys come to mind, Michael Swanston and John Auld. Regards Colin

fred henderson
7th April 2008, 19:25
A warm welcome Brian. I hope that you willenjoy your membership and will participate in our activities.

Fred(Thumb)

JimC
7th April 2008, 20:22
Welcome Brian!
Any relation to Alastair Kernachan of McBraynes? Also do you operate in Portugal as well?

gdynia
8th April 2008, 04:34
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

brian kernaghan
8th April 2008, 09:48
Welcome Brian, from western canada,(ex.Bangor NI). Guess you did your tickets at Blythe Street? A couple of Head Line guys come to mind, Michael Swanston and John Auld. Regards Colin

Yes ....Blythe street, kept our books in Joe McLeans bar in Sandy Row. I sailed with John Auld on several ships, He was second mate on the Roonagh, his cousin Harry ( bambi ) Thompson was mate, I was 3rd mate, 64 0r 65
John left the Head Line and died in N Africa on a ship. I attended his funeral , early 70s I think.
Other Bangor men , Gary Martin from the Seacliffe Road,became capt with Kellys, Denis Mc Clure,apprentice, 59 to 63 approx
Brian Cassidy, AB, Peter Sherriff, Tony Chappell, both masters, around 1970.
Regards, BK

brian kernaghan
8th April 2008, 09:52
Welcome Brian!
Any relation to Alastair Kernachan of McBraynes? Also do you operate in Portugal as well?

No relation to your friend in McBraynes. and Yes our company does operate in Portugal for certain services. You can check us out on www.oscarsierra.com
with best regards BK

Bruce Carson
8th April 2008, 14:25
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Brian.
Good to have you onboard and trust you'll find much to interest here.

Bruce

mclean
8th April 2008, 17:38
Hi Brian. I had many a pint with John at Converys Pub(think that is how it was spelt). He was a great character with many a yarn to tell. He had a few goes at Masters, but always ran out of money before he cound sit! If I recall correctly, he was 2nd.Mate on the Roonagh, when she had the collision in the St.Lawrence in october1963. I had heard of his passing.On a coaster at the time? I would think that a few of the locals up the Lakes would remember John! Did you come across Frank Best or Bob Copeland, master and mate of the Inishowen,then Cast Beaver. New them well. Bst Rgds. Colin

benjidog
8th April 2008, 23:14
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Gulpers
8th April 2008, 23:21
Brian,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

brian kernaghan
9th April 2008, 10:30
Hi Brian. I had many a pint with John at Converys Pub(think that is how it was spelt). He was a great character with many a yarn to tell. He had a few goes at Masters, but always ran out of money before he cound sit! If I recall correctly, he was 2nd.Mate on the Roonagh, when she had the collision in the St.Lawrence in october1963. I had heard of his passing.On a coaster at the time? I would think that a few of the locals up the Lakes would remember John! Did you come across Frank Best or Bob Copeland, master and mate of the Inishowen,then Cast Beaver. New them well. Bst Rgds. Colin

Yes, when the Roonagh hit the Tritonica, just downriver from Quebec city, John was 2nd mate. The enquiry showed that the pilot had a heart attack in the wheelhouse, and failed to make a course alteration to stbd. consequently hitting the up-bound ore carrier and sinking her
Converys,
"The Fountain Tavern" was a favourite head Line watering hole. I sailed with Frank Best when was mate, but not with Bob Copeland ......only in Converys !!
best rgds BK

katiekees111
11th November 2012, 14:02
Yes, when the Roonagh hit the Tritonica, just downriver from Quebec city, John was 2nd mate. The enquiry showed that the pilot had a heart attack in the wheelhouse, and failed to make a course alteration to stbd. consequently hitting the up-bound ore carrier and sinking her
Converys,
"The Fountain Tavern" was a favourite head Line watering hole. I sailed with Frank Best when was mate, but not with Bob Copeland ......only in Converys !!
best rgds BK

sorry to barge in dont know if many are still on here ..... brian my name is cathy from bangor my uncle charles whitla (charlie) was on the roonagh head on the morn it collided with tritonica hes not well at present and im looking for any info of when he was sailing just to help jog his memory hope you are still around would love to hear if you know charlie
best regards
cathy mckee bangor ni

billyboy
11th November 2012, 22:58
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

katiekees111
11th August 2013, 13:10
hi mclean sorry to boldly barge in on you but i did notice u were originally from bangor.... do you remember the whitla bros alex and charlie by any chance??? charlie was on headline late 50s and early 60s?
regards cathy mckee