Ixion

John
29th May 2005, 08:54
A trio of interesting photos of Ixion, one of the Blue Funnel "H" class. Built by Harland & Wolff in Belfast in 1951 she served in the Australian trade for twenty years before being broken up in Spain in 1971. I don't know the year she was docked in this floating dock. Can any one help? As a point of interest can anyone tell which floating dock it is and where?

John
30th May 2005, 05:25
Well folks, now that I have sorted out the format of the photos perhaps I'll have better luck attaching them to this. It seems that I am not having any luck. Having changed the format to a jpeg file I'm now told that the file is too big to be attached. Sorry about that. Anyone any ideas?

Doug Rogers
30th May 2005, 07:08
Dont know what sort of picture package you have but you should be able to juggle the image size/pixels in your package to conform with the upload to the site. If you can advise what you have I am sure someone will be familiar with it and will help you with any problems that you encounter even if I am cant!!.

japottinger
30th May 2005, 18:21
Thanks Doug, I have been trying to open the Ixion photos!

John
31st May 2005, 07:45
Hopefully this time they'll be there!!!

Doug Rogers
31st May 2005, 08:19

Well done John, good result, look forward to your next postings!!. (Applause)

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
1st June 2005, 15:01
Hi John.

Almost sure it is the floating drydock in Rotterdam. Most BF Ships drydocked there as it was fast turn round compared with the old system in Glasgow. Even had toilets in Rotterdam !!!

Ixion was known in Australia as "nine to one on" They had problems converting the name into Oz!!

She was broken up 12th March 1972. However there was a delay prior to this as the Breakers in Barcelona would not take delivery as she ran aground off the demolition berth.!!!!! (Must have been GPS!!!) Just did not want to go. They were wonderful ships. I was lucky enough to serve on three of them.

Santos
1st June 2005, 21:49
What happened to Hector, Helenus, Jason and Rhexenor, I saw them in Liverpool many times, my favourites of Blue Flu.

Chris.

Rhiw.com
2nd June 2005, 20:34
I was on the Ixion for two weeks in 1969, sailed from Liverpool to Glasgow, then paid off, and joined the Perseus at Birkenhead. I can remember nine blue flue boats in the Gladstone docks at the same time back then, and there would be another three at least in Birkenhead. Regards Tony. (*))

John
6th June 2005, 09:00
Only one attempt at the location of the floating dock. Actually, it is the floating dock that is still located in its original position at Newcastle NSW although I have heard a rumour that it is to relocate to Fremantle in Western Australia. I don't know the year that Ixion docked in Newcastle except that for a Bluey to undergo dry docking in Australia was pretty rare. Nor do I know whether this was a routine docking or whether there was a special reason for it. Certainly the photo shows that a lot of routine work was being carried out.

Steve
21st June 2005, 07:40
>Bump<

Jim S
12th February 2006, 22:04

As a G & J Weir apprentice I worked on most of the P and H class at KGV dock, Glasgow in 1961 - normally we would have a boiler feed pump and perhaps a condenser extraction pump to overhaul.
All their engine rooms were tidy but the best of the lot was Ixion it was exceptionally well maintained - even valves on such services as oil fuel transfer and bilge pumping had polished glands and nuts and the valve lid nuts free of paint, polished and oiled. - a credit to the engineering staff at the time.

Jim S

blobbybluey
6th June 2006, 22:42
(*)) just a note about when the ixion was scrapped i was deckboy on her,and right enough we did run aground we had all ropes and winches going full blast trying to get her alongside , the best part was the senior leccy running round going mental screaming at us that we were burning the winches out ! the place was actually called" villa nueva y geltru" whatever that means the people that bought her were made very welcome when they arrived on board with twenty cases of san miguel,having run out of tennants three days previous! that was my third trip on the 9to1 on, it was a very happy ship hope this bit helps anyone. (Thumb)

Aldinga
7th June 2006, 01:00
Hi John
The "Floating Dock" is still in Newcastle NSW. Oz, a ship building and repair company called "FORGACS" owns and operates it. FORGACS regularly completes works for major Australian and international ship owners.

Ron

zelo1954
7th June 2006, 02:02
A trio of interesting photos of Ixion, one of the Blue Funnel "H" class.

However many times I may have seen Ixion in the UK when I was still living there, the time I remember most was when I was a passenger on Northern Star (Southampton to Wellington - October 1970).

We had just visited Las Palmas and were sailing for Cape Town. Ixion was arriving as we were leaving. I remember being up top as far as we were allowed and looking down on the Blue Funneller. However I mostly remember that day for the effect the local red wine had on me. I've never felt so ill in my life, but an injection from the ship's doctor fixed me up pretty quickly.
Cheers, Geoff

Mike Kemble
16th June 2007, 20:33
Ixion in Birkenhead (West Float - Wallasey side) approx 1970 (Stern of Clytoneus)

Trader
17th June 2007, 00:38
Just look at those moorings. It used to take ages just to single up. I coasted her once in Aug. 1954

Trader

Mike Kemble
17th June 2007, 09:26
Somebody recently said in here that BF were "Gladstone in, Gladstone out" which was probably the "norm" but I can recall seeing BF shipping in Birkenhead docks on numerous occasions.

I loved the atmosphere, the hustle and bustle, the creaking of the nets and the rumblings of the cranes as they slowly crawled along the dock rails lines. The smell of the warehouses, the exotic names stencilled on the large crates coming down on the cranes. The 60s in Liverpool is one period that I really do hanker to go back to, to live again, but this time, with a decent camera and walk everywhere "click click click".

Listening to people moan as they had to wait for the Bridges to raise and lower as (to me) huge cargo vessels slowly sneaked past the quayside and off to god only knows where. It was all so magic.

Blue Funnel was Liverpool to me, I seem to recall dealing with their ships mostly, then US Lines and Cunard - maybe it wasn't that way, but the magic of the place had me gripped like a wheel in a hurricane! As I crossed the river on the ferry, I would spot, or go around, certain vessels and report them in at the office, sometimes 6 or 7 at a time and know they meant a bit of work that day or next!

rothesian
17th June 2007, 20:28
"Somebody recently said in here that BF were "Gladstone in, Gladstone out" which was probably the "norm" "

M Boats definately Bidston out Gladstone in when I sailed on them. Gladstone to Glasgow then back to Bidston to sail deepsea.

Mike Kemble
17th June 2007, 21:45
"Somebody recently said in here that BF were "Gladstone in, Gladstone out" which was probably the "norm" "

M Boats definately Bidston out Gladstone in when I sailed on them. Gladstone to Glasgow then back to Bidston to sail deepsea.

Thought so, just had another thought, but not for this thread - Clan Line sailed out of Bidston by the "Penny Bridge".

makko
18th June 2007, 04:55
China boats were generally Gladstone in Vittoria out. Aussie boats stayed over on the Liverpool side.

Regards,

Dave

Trader
18th June 2007, 13:15
I agree with Makko on that. When I was there in the 50's the China boats docked in Gladstone, coasted to Glasgow and Swansea and finished loading in Vittoria dock Birkenhead. The Aussie runners docked in Gladstone, coasted to Glasgow(I don't remember going to Swansea on an Aussie runner), and finished up back in Gladstone.
Trader

Hague
19th June 2007, 20:21
Gentlemen,
I seem to remember this discussion before.
Prior to 67, The Aussie boats were Gladsone in and Out.
The China boats were Gladstone in and Birkenhead out.

Hague
19th June 2007, 20:33
Thought so, just had another thought, but not for this thread - Clan Line sailed out of Bidston by the "Penny Bridge".

Mike,
I beg to differ. Clan Line berthed opposite the 'China Boats' at the Vittoria Docks (adjacent to Duke Street Bridge).
In the mid 60s the sheds above ( facing Odyssey works were rebuilt) and the 'China Boats' berthed up at the Port side of Bidston Dock (Ore Carriers to Stbd and it was the Penney Bridge that you passed through to access Bidston Dk). Clan Line stayed very close to their 'Old berths' throughout the renovation.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Ixion/Clytoneus photograph was initially posted without date but stating location as Birkenhead. I said then what I have just said above. What happened after 67 is anybodies guess.

R651400
21st June 2007, 16:41
Mike,
I beg to differ. Clan Line berthed opposite the 'China Boats' at the Vittoria Docks
As they did at KGV in Shieldhall/Renfrew Glasgow which was Clan Line's home dock...

Hague
21st June 2007, 20:06
Today received a copy of the June Newsletter of the Blue Funnel Association.
Photograph therein showed 'IXION' loading at the buoys in Hong Kong 1971.
Never thought I would ever see any of the 'H' class in those waters.
I think I have said it before but my big regret is that I never sailed to Australia in the 'China'. Eight years (59-67) on the Far East run.

demodocus
30th October 2007, 02:24
Just look at those moorings. It used to take ages just to single up.

Standard Blue Funnel. 8 parts of rope and 5 of wire at each end. :-)

Bill Davies
1st November 2007, 21:59
Following on from above heard a story in the 60s about a certain BF ship which tied up at the Bidston Dock due to works being carried out at the usual berth at Vittoria Dock. Vessel was berthed North on the Birkenhead Side (Ore Carriers on the Wallasey side). The vessel was exposed to the elements with nothing but Leasowe Common and thence Irish Sea. After the crowd had made fast in the manner described understand port anchor was paid out and lifted ashore to waste ground some 100 yds ahead of ship. Anyone confirm or otherwise. Or did the story have its origin in the Pool Inn.

NB:Remember the Pool Inn in 66 when Mate of an Ore Carriers and had to drag the Crew out to sail.

Mike Kemble
1st November 2007, 22:14
Mike,
I beg to differ. Clan Line berthed opposite the 'China Boats' at the Vittoria Docks (adjacent to Duke Street Bridge).
In the mid 60s the sheds above ( facing Odyssey works were rebuilt) and the 'China Boats' berthed up at the Port side of Bidston Dock (Ore Carriers to Stbd and it was the Penney Bridge that you passed through to access Bidston Dk). Clan Line stayed very close to their 'Old berths' throughout the renovation.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Ixion/Clytoneus photograph was initially posted without date but stating location as Birkenhead. I said then what I have just said above. What happened after 67 is anybodies guess. Sorry for late reply but my dad worked Clan Line shorejob and, one day, as we were crossing penny bridge from Bhead to Poulton, he pointed left and said that was where he worked.

Bill Davies
2nd November 2007, 17:50
Sorry for late reply but my dad worked Clan Line shorejob and, one day, as we were crossing penny bridge from Bhead to Poulton, he pointed left and said that was where he worked.

Well Mike,

Can't comment on Clan Line as I never had much to do with them. Don't think i've eben been aboard one of their vessels. The only thing that stands in my mind was the serving on the shrouds was painted black and white.
In my day they were berthed opposite the BF in Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead.

Brgds

Bill

R651400
3rd November 2007, 07:11
In my day they were berthed opposite the BF in Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead.

Similarly King George V dock in Glasgow. I remember well seeing their fairly new Clan Robertson and Clan Sutherland alongside in the fifties..

g.p.hughes
3rd November 2007, 08:16
Ref.pronounciation in Oz just apply some Roman numerals ans a little imagination and you'll get the drift......

KENNEEDHAM
7th November 2007, 20:11
I was on the ixion from 1966 to 68 Australia wonderful place when I was A steward

tony poutch
10th November 2007, 16:27
I was on the ixion from 1966 to 68 Australia wonderful place when I was A steward

Joe kavanagh was Bosun then and Pete Fanning was Lampy were u on her when mo died and buried at sea March 66 I was Peggy then

KENNEEDHAM
21st November 2007, 21:28
(*)) just a note about when the ixion was scrapped i was deckboy on her,and right enough we did run aground we had all ropes and winches going full blast trying to get her alongside , the best part was the senior leccy running round going mental screaming at us that we were burning the winches out ! the place was actually called" villa nueva y geltru" whatever that means the people that bought her were made very welcome when they arrived on board with twenty cases of san miguel,having run out of tennants three days previous! that was my third trip on the 9to1 on, it was a very happy ship hope this bit helps anyone. (Thumb)

Was John Edwards the cook at the time?

and Peter Beere the Chief Steward?

KENNEEDHAM
21st November 2007, 21:33
Joe kavanagh was Bosun then and Pete Fanning was Lampy were u on her when mo died and buried at sea March 66 I was Peggy then

I can remenber the ships doctor (male nurse) Duggy Fordice (think I spelt his name right) he died we burried him 2 days from Aden, my second trip as stewards boy in 66.

tony poutch
23rd November 2007, 00:00
I can remenber the ships doctor (male nurse) Duggy Fordice (think I spelt his name right) he died we burried him 2 days from Aden, my second trip as stewards boy in 66.

Thats the trip if memory serves me right you and 2nd trip deck boy Lofty organized us to go to Luna Park and JOE Kavanagh warning us deckboys to be turned in by 11pm.

Succour
6th December 2007, 06:07
I sailed with Harry on Nestor and Ixion.1968-69
Harry if you are out there in Bonnie Scotland please send me an email or reply in the Blue Flu Section.
Regards from Succour or as you used to call me Dino
for singing 'If you are going to San Francisco', by Scott McKenzie. We had some great laughs.

Thanks for the memories Mate.(Jester)

Succour
6th December 2007, 06:14
Mates.
If you ever go to Melbourne go to the Immigration museum.
There you will find Ixion's name on the list of Immigration ships during the Fifties. She was a grand old Bluey and was very kind to me, she even allowed me to flash her up and use her manouvering platform.
A great old girl.
Regards..... Succour

blobbybluey
30th December 2008, 13:08
yes he was cant remember the chief steward,2nd steward was called jeff he got promoted to chief stewrd on a glen boat in singapore,barry moss took over as 2nd,joe was very good to me as a first trip peggy .regards

TonyAllen
5th January 2009, 13:45
Sailed on the Ixion in 1956 great trip as galley boy and played guitar and sang in a skiffle band on board, played in some great night clubs as they were the only places to get a late drink,best one was the blue moon in Brisbane also the jazz club in Melbourn. Donegans hit song rock island line was the big thing there and we did it live and it was always got a big cheer from the ex pats Great memories for me that I will never forget smashing crew good ship and good food. TONY ALLEN

Lawrence Coker
5th January 2009, 15:32
My first ship as Middy 1965.

R58484956
5th January 2009, 16:55
Greetings Lawrence and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and a happy new year to you. Bon voyage.

gordy
5th January 2009, 17:52
Set off on the Ixion in January 1967 as a 1st trip junior after doing two coasting trips on the Jason and Patroclus.
The engine room certainly ran like a dream. The only excitement I recall was on my 2nd trip, somewhat altered from the normal by the canal being closed, so from Brisbane we headed for Singapore to tramp for a return cargo.
Going through the barrier reef in a heavy swell, the governor system tripped the boiler main stop valves but failed to shut down the fuel system. I assisted the fireman in getting the fires out and the look of minor panic on his face made me move with exceeding haste .
A few minutes later I answered a call from the bridge inquiring as to when we would be ready to get going again, keeping the line open I passed on the message to the chief who grabbed the phone from me and gave the old man a severe tongue lashing, saying that 'if he'd got the right amount of ballast in the problem would never have arisen'!
I was well impressed.
Even more so later in the trip when on one of his very few visits to the bar the chief took a chit I has just signed, declared it too much for a junior to pay and ordered the 3/E to sign it!
I have very fond memories of the Ixion and the 2 months of partying we had while on the Aussie coast.
I think the high standards of engineering I saw and was part of stayed with me in the rest of my life at sea or in the oil game.

benjidog
5th January 2009, 21:06
My first ship as Middy 1965.

Hello Lawrence and welcome to the site.

Tai Pan
6th January 2009, 15:39
Did two voyages on Jason.1955 Capt Stroud. sent me ashore in Sydney to nick some soil , he had obtained some bushes wanted to put them in tubs, all OK till locusts got at them in red sea, no more bushes. supurb ships. remember Cribbage competition .once came runner up- not bad for a sparks.