Geoff Guest

drgguest
8th April 2008, 22:00
A sad note. Geoff Guest (my father) died last week (2nd of April) in Ellon, Aberdeenshire.

Many of you may have known or worked with him dusring his time at Brocklebanks and on many of the ships where he worked as an engineer (finishing as CE on the Mahout in 65).

I would like to hear any memories that you may have or any comments that you feel would be interesting.

Please pass this on to anyone who you think may be interested.

Dave

John Rogers
8th April 2008, 22:15
Sorry to hear about your father David,my condolences to you and the family.

John

Don A.Macleod
9th April 2008, 00:43
Sad news indeed Dave and I extend my condolences. My first meeting with him was in May 65,I'd been on the coast for several months as acting senior electrician and was on the MATHURA in Liverpool.It was the last Saturday morning in May when I was called to the chiefs room and there was your dad who said you are now senior elect officially. Monday morning get yourself down to Tilbury and join the Maipura for relief duties,so I can say he personally announced my promotion before getting it in writing.He couldn't have been long of the Mahout at the time and was getting into the "super" management.
My next serious meeting with him was in Oct.69 in Yokohama on the Mahsud , I'd already been away four months on the Maihar but due to staffing problems had to transfer to Mahsud,he was there and informed me apologetically that I would not be going home after six months until more staff had been trained (it turned out to be over eight months).
I found him to be a likeable and courteous man who was dedicated to his job.Donald.

sparkie2182
9th April 2008, 00:48
my condolences ............

ex brocks r/o

Derek Roger
9th April 2008, 02:21
David :
My condolences ; I am very sorry to get the news .

I never sailed with Geoff but did meet him in Gothenburg when he was in charge of new construction for Brocklebanks and Moss tankers and as I said when he was working out of Aberdeen on a social basis with Allan Atack .

I will pass on the news to Alan who will be shocked as they did converse from time to time over the years and were good friends ( Your Dad was Chief Engineer on Allans first trip to sea )

I will also pass on the sad news to Capt . Tony Sprigings ( a member of SN and ex Marine Super with Brocks )

My thoughts with you and your family at this difficult time .

Derek

joller6
9th April 2008, 02:57
David,
My sincere condolences on the loss of your dear Dad,its always so hard at times like this.
Be strong and take heart.
Sincerly
joller6

Bob_F
9th April 2008, 03:43
David,
My sincere condolences on the loss of your father. I first met him on the Marwarri in '58 when I was doing my first trip as 3rd Eng. Your mother was with him on that trip along with their good friends 'Nobby' Grayson as Mate along with Betty. Some time ago I posted a couple of photos of your parents celebrating their wedding anniversary on that trip. If you follow the thread "Nobby" Grayson posted 8th Oct. 2006. If you woul like a larger image of these photos just E-mail me and I will forward them to you.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Robert & Isabel Frizzell

Philthechill
9th April 2008, 15:55
David,
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I never sailed with him but did meet-up with him several times on various Brock ships and always found him to be a complete gentleman. A sad loss. Phil Roe

Stuart Smith
9th April 2008, 23:15
David
My condolances on the loss of your Dad. Another fine Brocklebank gentleman crosses the bar and will be sadly missed.
Stuart

Tony Selman
10th April 2008, 11:18
David

My sincere condolences on your sad loss. I was an R/O with Brocks so had little to do with your father but did meet him when I was on the Maturata in Glasgow in 1969 (I think) and he had come up from Head Office for some reason. Had a chat to him in the bar before lunch and he struck me as a gentleman.

Peter Boggon
11th April 2008, 17:28
David,

Our sincere condolences for your loss. I also sailed with Geoff and Audrey on the Marwarri. We also stayed at their home in Aberdeen in 1998 after I retired here in Oz and went back to the UK for a trip.
He was a gentleman and a friend and is sadly missed.

Peter & Barbara Boggon