Queen to say goodbye to QE2 liner (BBC News)

SN NewsCaster
9th April 2008, 18:30
The Queen will make a final trip to the world-famous QE2 liner before the vessel is turned into a floating hotel in Dubai.

More from BBC News... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/news/int/search/news%2Bsport/ship/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7339244.stm)

vchiu
11th April 2008, 11:31
I really hope she will be preserved in a way that respects her Maritime attributes.

There is a former Belgian Liner transformed into an hotel in Shenzhen, China. Everything inside was stripped and one would struggle to guess being on a ship when inside.

I will miss her underway. Was it really necessary to decommission her that early? She is still a young lady.

Chris Isaac
12th April 2008, 10:16
She's not actually a young lady, she is 40 and the years are taking its toll. But I hope she is preserved sympathetically she is the last ship that I would call magnificent.

vchiu
12th April 2008, 13:12
She's not actually a young lady, she is 40 ....

These are harsh words... 40 is still young by my standards and this lady is as beautiful as in her first days. Upkeep makes all the difference indeed.

I regret I wasn't rich quickly enough to make a cruise or a transatlantic crossing on her, a childhood dream. This won't happen on any of those floating cubic hotels named modern cruise ships.

fred henderson
12th April 2008, 15:50
It is about 45 years since design work QE2 began. At that time naval architects were having great difficulty in arriving at a stable hull form that would provide passenger volume in place of express cargo weight. The quick solution was to use aluminium to build the superstructure. Unfortunately the design life of aluminium is less than steel at about 30 to 35 years. As this was equal to the life of the previous Queens, it was not considered to be a problem. No one imagined that QE2 would still be sailing at 40 years of age. It is a great credit to the dedicated team at Cunard and Carnival that she has remained in service so long.

Fred(Thumb)

vchiu
13th April 2008, 04:22
Why would the design life of Aluminium be shorter? I was under the impression that it was more resiliant to corrosion than steel. I understand repairing/overhauling Aluminium is trickier than steel.

Her steam powerplant was replaced by Diesel units in 1986, I would assume that 22 years is still reasonable and that she had still more to go.