Chitral

Bob S
29th May 2005, 15:20
CHITRAL ('56/13821) berthed in the King George V Dock, London on the 27th July 1969.
Built as JADOTVILLE for Compagnie Maritime Belge. Sold to P&O in '61 and renamed CHITRAL. Scrapped in '76.

Doug Rogers
29th May 2005, 23:26
Good picture, she and her sister were nice little ships, only did coastal voyage on Cathay but a fair amount of dock staff on both of them. They were later transferred to E & A service and were quite successful on the Asia/Japan route until their ultimate scrapping.

Buoy
2nd December 2006, 16:58
I did a relief season cruising out of Genoa in 'Chitral' - must have been around 1970 I think. It was a fantastic run, an experiement in 'fly/cruise' at the time I believe. We had a great time on the ship as I don't think we ever had more than about 80 pax onboard and usually a lot less - it was a bit like being in Daddy's yacht!. In addition we were three R/O's keeping a H8 watch! I went from there to Bulk Shipping's 'Mantua' what a difference that was!
Rgds
Derek

Paedrig
2nd December 2006, 18:37
Lovely ship except an awful lot of her Technical documentation was in French with what seemed like everyone elses best guess as to translation, attached. A wee bit of a nighmare when it came to tracing Electrical faults.

Ian b
27th August 2007, 22:57
CHITRAL ('56/13821) berthed in the King George V Dock, London on the 27th July 1969.
Built as JADOTVILLE for Compagnie Maritime Belge. Sold to P&O in '61 and renamed CHITRAL. Scrapped in '76.

I did three trips KGV to japan and back '63, all passenger accomodation first class,lovely ship.

michael56
26th October 2011, 08:31
Greetings

I went aboard this vessel a couple of times in Auckland probably 1975or 76, both for my work (quarantine) and to wave goodbye to an elderly second cousin who was taking a cruise to Japan, Hong Kong and some other Asian ports.

At those times you could board (on most occasions) with the passenger as a visitor and see their cabin and have a look around the ship and envy the lucky traveller.

She was going to the breakers at the completion of my cousin's cruise and I don't think she came all the way back to New Zealand. The cruise may have terminated overseas (prob Sydney) with cousin flying home the last leg.

She looked a bit tired then but you could tell that in her prime she would have been quite something.

I hope you enjoy your well travelled chairs.

michael56
NZ

Boseley
22nd November 2011, 19:31
Chitral or Cathay replaced my old ship the Corfu