SS Suevic

Gordon Steel
10th April 2008, 19:51
Hi, Anybody remember SS Suevic picking up the crew of a sinking Norwegian Vessel in the Carribean in 1971. We were outbound to Kiwi from Glasgow/Liverpool with some missing whisky ????

Gordon Steel,

Galley Boy.

innesian
22nd April 2008, 01:35
Just missed out on all that,i was on her from July '70 till end of January '71 and paid off in Liverpool.
innesian

joller6
22nd April 2008, 02:35
Cany say i recall this incident,but just thought i would post a Pic of her,if its the same one that is?
Cheers
joller6

Gordon Steel
26th April 2008, 14:35
Cany say i recall this incident,but just thought i would post a Pic of her,if its the same one that is?
Cheers
joller6

Yep, same ship, but in better condition in your photo.

R902490. Gordon Steel[=P]

Four Bells
9th August 2008, 06:28
I took her to scrap 74[=P]

mcgrattan
9th August 2008, 22:55
I also took her to scrap in 1974. I was 1st Electrical Engineer.

Tom McGrattan

Four Bells
10th August 2008, 00:16
I had Hair in those days and was on deck.

doric
17th August 2008, 12:49
I was on her in 1955, as 1st Electrical Engineer, she was a great ship then. Terence Williams. R538301.

DURANGO
18th August 2008, 09:47
Hi, Anybody remember SS Suevic picking up the crew of a sinking Norwegian Vessel in the Carribean in 1971. We were outbound to Kiwi from Glasgow/Liverpool with some missing whisky ????

Gordon Steel,

Galley Boy. I was a.b. in her in 1965 we had a similar situation in the bay of biscay a cargo ship with a deck cargo of timber caught fire we stood off with cargo nets over the side ,smaller ships went in closer i,m not sure if she sunk or not but we could see crew on deck dealing with fire .

i.cossey
21st October 2008, 14:34
I was on the Suevic at that time. We got a call that she was in distress and stood by her for best part of the day. Then having been told everything was under control we left and continued homeward. Later at night we got another call the fire had broken out again and she was in danger of sinking, we returned to stand by her once again, she was listing heavily and the boats on one side were unusable. We had launched a boat but the crew were taken to smaller boats standing by with us.Sometime in the middle of the night she rolled over and went down stern first the bow sliding under with hardly a ripple. We continued our voyage home rather subdued having seen that a life at sea wasn't all beer and skittles.

DURANGO
30th October 2008, 18:49
I was on the Suevic at that time. We got a call that she was in distress and stood by her for best part of the day. Then having been told everything was under control we left and continued homeward. Later at night we got another call the fire had broken out again and she was in danger of sinking, we returned to stand by her once again, she was listing heavily and the boats on one side were unusable. We had launched a boat but the crew were taken to smaller boats standing by with us.Sometime in the middle of the night she rolled over and went down stern first the bow sliding under with hardly a ripple. We continued our voyage home rather subdued having seen that a life at sea wasn't all beer and skittles.
Just looking through my note book i built a ship in a bottle for the chief fridge that trip cant remember his name now , was it at Durban homeward bound that we were unable to sail on time due to the fact that we lost all our steam i was an a.b . in her my younger brother was also in her at that time

i.cossey
30th October 2008, 20:58
If my memory serves me right the chief frig was Danny Duff a really nice old boy who suffered from what I think was the early onset of parkinsons, he loved a bass white label, as I said a really nice person.

clancy
21st November 2008, 10:10
i was on her 12-2-65till22-6-65 carnt say i remember a fire S.O,S at the time

Fieldsy
21st November 2008, 12:47
i was on her 12-2-65till22-6-65 carnt say i remember a fire S.O,S at the time

Hey Clancy,
Thought you were on the pop in the jewellry quarter today?

DURANGO
3rd December 2008, 21:53
i was on her 12-2-65till22-6-65 carnt say i remember a fire S.O,S at the time I was in her the trip after down to Kiwi we went into dry dock in Wellington that was when the fire happened homeward in the Bay .

GWB
27th March 2009, 14:31
Sailed on the Suvic in 65/67 with Stan Ledger as Chief Engineer, Bobby Comerford was 2nd, I was 3rd I think Tom Mcgartton joined next voyage when Len Talareton was 2nd and Stan williams chief. She was a good ship no problems, I recently met up with a old 2nd engineer who was on her sister ship the Runic when she hit the Midelton Reef his story was very interesting sitting on reef for 6 weeks.
GWB

John King
12th April 2009, 12:27
hi guys anybody remember patsy the captains tiger i was on the persic in same port as suvic an one of our engineers was flashing this photy of a chick he had scored with at some nightclub till somebody had a close look an said it was patsy we had to wait till we got to hamburg to find out sure enough it was patsy he never lived it down

iaincampbell 57
9th February 2013, 13:37
as you know now Gordon i was their deck boy we were out on deck with scramble nets over the side to take them on board i remeber all the Abs wanting to get all their stuff out of the lifeboat some good sounds and equipement for the bar but the captain ordered it to be cut adrift as it was too dangerous to get a derrik out to loads it on deck their were 13 of a crew with one woman on board ,,the captain sent down couple cases of beer and couple bottles of rum i tried to acquire some rum and was hit on the head for my cheek being a boy,, one off the sailors off of the ship( wish i knew the names of it ) that sank gave me his deck knife to keep they were so happy to be saved i was hugged all night i see a few were on her in here i don't remember any of them but they have nicknames , also when we were in wellington the( rangitiri )built in Glasgow arrived brand new to take up the run from wellington tot he south island what a wonderful sight that was all the tugs with their hoses going i ended up on the rangitiri in Scotland she ended up a hotel ship up in Kishorn for the oil workers building a new rig made of cement

iaincampbell 57
9th February 2013, 13:40
hi guys anybody remember patsy the captains tiger i was on the persic in same port as suvic an one of our engineers was flashing this photy of a chick he had scored with at some nightclub till somebody had a close look an said it was patsy we had to wait till we got to hamburg to find out sure enough it was patsy he never lived it down

I was peggy to the petty officers , bosun, lampy,donkey man chief cook and second cook nd baker

iaincampbell 57
9th February 2013, 13:42
Just looking through my note book i built a ship in a bottle for the chief fridge that trip cant remember his name now , was it at Durban homeward bound that we were unable to sail on time due to the fact that we lost all our steam i was an a.b . in her my younger brother was also in her at that time
what is your name i was their too

Norman Best
10th February 2013, 01:39
If my memory serves me right the chief frig was Danny Duff a really nice old boy who suffered from what I think was the early onset of parkinsons, he loved a bass white label, as I said a really nice person.

Chief frig was Ted Dan, one of the nicest men I ever met at sea. Norman Best. (Trunch).

iaincampbell 57
10th February 2013, 12:16
the incident( ship sinking) happened on the way outward bound to kiwi i should know i wasnt there on the way back homeward bound, i jumped ship cause the bosun was an **** ;;le forget his name anyway i have a beautiful daughter because of that ship lol

iaincampbell 57
10th February 2013, 12:18
me too lmao

DURANGO
10th February 2013, 13:12
the incident( ship sinking) happened on the way outward bound to kiwi i should know i wasnt there on the way back homeward bound, i jumped ship cause the bosun was an **** ;;le forget his name anyway i have a beautiful daughter because of that ship lol I,m trying to think of the bosun I think he was an Irish fella ,did you jump in lyttelton I know that a couple did skin out there this was the voyage that we went into the floating dry dock in Wellington , if my memory serves me right one of the deck boys was promoted to jos ,someone painted SUEVIC on the quay in big letters they used red boot topping and it really hit the fan we stopped at Durban on the way home then on up to Tima in West Africa my younger brother Terry was on there with me he signed on as d.h.u. we also stopped at Fiji and Samoa on the way out I just checked my book I think we have different dates here I was ableseaman in her from 16/7/65 untill 5/12/65 best regards Dave .

iaincampbell 57
12th February 2013, 14:25
I,m trying to think of the bosun I think he was an Irish fella ,did you jump in lyttelton I know that a couple did skin out there this was the voyage that we went into the floating dry dock in Wellington , if my memory serves me right one of the deck boys was promoted to jos ,someone painted SUEVIC on the quay in big letters they used red boot topping and it really hit the fan we stopped at Durban on the way home then on up to Tima in West Africa my younger brother Terry was on there with me he signed on as d.h.u. we also stopped at Fiji and Samoa on the way out I just checked my book I think we have different dates here I was ableseaman in her from 16/7/65 untill 5/12/65 best regards Dave .

yes we have different dates Dave i was on her 1971 December till i jumped ship round about April may in Wellington i wasn't going to jump but he made my mind up "the bosun" a bully (who was a scouser Liverpudlian) wouldn't let me go ashore to see the gals off but let the whole of the deck crew on their last fling to spend the ( tarpaulin muster last of the cash) i did paint a few quays though lol as was custom it was a great trip all things considered i loved that ship best one i was on apart from 1 person the crew were brilliant they didnt like him much either came home DBS on the britanic nxt shaw saville ship was called the Mayfair its not well knowen as a shaw saville ship mabye someone will rember it on here??? that was a long trip to kiwi then russia with lamb, then down to hong kong dry dock the on too kiwi round the coast and home to Bermuda and on too uk
where i promply joined blue star and was on the auckland star for a yr in dry dock liverpool 3 mnths then on to kiwi well hope that gives you abit more dave but when start typing cant stop the memories keep flooding back lol cheers m8

iaincampbell 57
12th February 2013, 14:28

hi i was on her at that time what rating were you mabye i got the wrong time for you but there was no boat lauched as we were in a storm and i would have been on it