Sailing with Stanvac

Ian SHARPE
11th April 2008, 18:53
(Thumb) New to all of this! A message to Frank & Chris on the topic of the Japan. Joined Stanvac in London & whilst waiting to join the Horizon in Malmo which was being commissioned after having its centre castle removed due to the Japan disaster, roomed with the 2nd Eng from the Japan - I think his name was Anderson, who informed that when the accomodation was blown up, the ship continued on for possibly 1/2 mile & he swam back to the Centre Castle to assist but too late. (He was on watch at the time in the ER.)

I also sailed with Capt Pilley as his 2 Eng on the Australia. Also was on Mariner which was the best of the all except for the Horizon of course, the Karachi when we got caught in typhoon Nancy off the coast of Okinawa, The Sylvan Arrow & Mobil Acme. Pilley was a great bloke & as we both came from Melbourne got on well. Sorry to hear of his demise.

The CE on the Arrow was the Japan's 2 Eng's Father I feel. I was on her for 14 months back in 62-63. A hell of a ship. For when Esso & Mobil took over Stanvac the dry docks went out the window & they literally became work horses. Took a load of asphalt from Maracaibo to London running out of water for the boilers when we arrived in London in '63 with the sea temp of 26deg F. Touch & go at the time as the water lighters couldn't get to us for the Thames was frozen over. I was on her as 2E when we blew a boiler off Curacao.

I Joined Stanvac in late '58 (?) memory lapse! A great Company with a terrific Personnel Manager - Capt Stirling in London.

A pleasing evening discussing the past which I really haven't done since I left the sea.

benjidog
12th April 2008, 00:38
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
12th April 2008, 04:39
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Steve Woodward
12th April 2008, 08:45
Ian,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

non descript
12th April 2008, 09:23
Ian, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

K urgess
12th April 2008, 14:45
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Ian.
We're here to bring back the seagoing memories.
Join in and enjoy the trip.

Bruce Carson
12th April 2008, 19:11
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Ian.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions.
It's good to have you onboard.

Bruce

Topherjohn
20th April 2008, 00:06
(Thumb) New to all of this! A message to Frank & Chris on the topic of the Japan. Joined Stanvac in London & whilst waiting to join the Horizon in Malmo which was being commissioned after having its centre castle removed due to the Japan disaster, roomed with the 2nd Eng from the Japan - I think his name was Anderson, who informed that when the accomodation was blown up, the ship continued on for possibly 1/2 mile & he swam back to the Centre Castle to assist but too late. (He was on watch at the time in the ER.)

I also sailed with Capt Pilley as his 2 Eng on the Australia. Also was on Mariner which was the best of the all except for the Horizon of course, the Karachi when we got caught in typhoon Nancy off the coast of Okinawa, The Sylvan Arrow & Mobil Acme. Pilley was a great bloke & as we both came from Melbourne got on well. Sorry to hear of his demise.

The CE on the Arrow was the Japan's 2 Eng's Father I feel. I was on her for 14 months back in 62-63. A hell of a ship. For when Esso & Mobil took over Stanvac the dry docks went out the window & they literally became work horses. Took a load of asphalt from Maracaibo to London running out of water for the boilers when we arrived in London in '63 with the sea temp of 26deg F. Touch & go at the time as the water lighters couldn't get to us for the Thames was frozen over. I was on her as 2E when we blew a boiler off Curacao.

I Joined Stanvac in late '58 (?) memory lapse! A great Company with a terrific Personnel Manager - Capt Stirling in London.

A pleasing evening discussing the past which I really haven't done since I left the sea.
Just noticed your posting and welcome to SN. Yes Captain Pilley was my Uncle Howard. Sadly he died in Burnie Hospital in 1965 when with Associated Steamships after a heart attack on board. By coincidence I worked in Burnie 1973-76 for Tioxide APL on loan from UK parent company. After MN and career in IT now retired. 2 of Howard's children still in Melbourne, 3rd in WA but visiting us in UK this month. I'll mention your name as they met and remember some of his colleagues.
Hadn't heard before of 2/E swimming from hull to the bridge after explosion. I know my cousins will be interested. The Officer who swam back to the hull from the Japan's bridge after explosion of course was 2nd Officer Atherley who I later met when visiting my uncle at Stanlow refinery 1960 just before joining my first ship.
I've just posted 5 pictures of damaged Japan and newspaper extract from 1958 in the gallery first one at http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/114614.
Were you aboard Mobil Acme when she grounded temporarily in the Gulf?