JOHN BAGE
12th April 2008, 14:05
I have set-up a website dedicated to the history of the short-lived covered
in Pallion Shipyard at Sunderland, UK (1975 to 1989 when it was closed down
by Maggie Thatcher).
The link to it can be found on the Index page of my main website at;-

www.johnbage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I am trying to find out the names of the ships that were built
there, including a series of Bank Line ships. I need a photo of one of the Bank Line ships built at Pallion for use on the website.

Can anyone help with a photo please?

zelo1954
12th April 2008, 21:23
I am trying to find out the names of the ships that were built
there, including a series of Bank Line ships. I need a photo of one of the Bank Line ships built at Pallion for use on the website.

Can anyone help with a photo please?

I've sent a list for you from my database. You should check each one in the Miramar Index - http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz
Go to the "Search by shipyard site" (link to this is on the homepage) and enter 1517 into the "link" fill-in. You then will get 27 pages of ALL Doxford ships.

zelo1954
12th April 2008, 22:48
Here are some online photos. There are surprisingly few of them in the usual places:
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=468283
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20T/slides/Tenchbank-01.html
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20S/slides/Streambank-01.html
However the one you should get hold of is from Middlemiss's book "British Shipbuilding Yards. Vol. 1. North-East coast". It shows Firbank (yard #2, the first was Cedarbank) being moved out of the building berth.

Richie2012
6th September 2009, 17:58
A website now up and running
http://www.pallionshipyard.co.uk/index.html
does anyone no any more information?

China hand
6th September 2009, 18:32
Stood by a couple up there, will troll my records.

salvina
6th September 2009, 19:08
Why does Margaret Thatcher get blamed for this closure?

Ron Stringer
7th September 2009, 12:49
Because Margaret Thatcher's government did a deal with the German government. As I understand it, the deal was to permit support to continue to be given to the British (?) steel industry as long as governement support was removed from the British shipbuilding industry. It permitted the German government to continue to provide assistance to German shipbuilders while removing/reducing support government support for the German steel industry.

Whether or not the latter took place is debatable but support was removed from British shipbuilding whilst the British steel industry (later to become Dutch and then Indian) did continue to receive support. The German shipbuilders received support also, but whether the German steel industry's support was ever decreased or removed I do not know.

Without assistance the recently-modernised Sunderland yards, having invested heavily in new plant and facilities, could not service their debts until such time as they were able to recoup their investment from new business. So they closed.

Meyer Werft and others, prospered.

Alan Rawlinson
7th September 2009, 17:52
When Maggie Thatcher visited the Falklands we had 2 Swedish accommodation units down there for the use of the troops and airmen. She decided to visit and so as not to upset her sensibilities the flag at the stern was switched to the '' red duster '' - just for the period of the visit.

AL

P.S.

I am a Thatcher fan

China hand
8th September 2009, 18:19
There used to be a Bank Line Garden close by. I haven't been there for years; does the garden still exist?

Richie2012
12th September 2009, 21:02
When Maggie Thatcher visited the Falklands we had 2 Swedish accommodation units down there for the use of the troops and airmen. She decided to visit and so as not to upset her sensibilities the flag at the stern was switched to the '' red duster '' - just for the period of the visit.

AL

P.S.

I am a Thatcher fan

Dont you think that is wrong? if it was such a big thing having the red duster up why werent two british accommodation units used insted?

Alan Rawlinson
13th September 2009, 06:58
Quite simple really, there were not any British ( suitable) units at the time of need. We ( in Consafe) had built 2 units on speculation for worldwide use, and it was a case of right place, right time. There was political pressure to produce a third British unit, called '' Pursuivant ''and this was duly built and sent down, but it had some problems.

Incidentally, the second unit we piggy backed down had squash courts, a hall, and swimming pool, facilities which were greatly enjoyed by the islanders, particularly the school children.

AL

Richie2012
13th September 2009, 11:15
Quite simple really, there were not any British ( suitable) units at the time of need. We ( in Consafe) had built 2 units on speculation for worldwide use, and it was a case of right place, right time. There was political pressure to produce a third British unit, called '' Pursuivant ''and this was duly built and sent down, but it had some problems.

Incidentally, the second unit we piggy backed down had squash courts, a hall, and swimming pool, facilities which were greatly enjoyed by the islanders, particularly the school children.

AL

Just looked at the consafe website a very intresting website, never heard of them before, how many people do they employ?

Richie

Alan Rawlinson
13th September 2009, 15:01
Just looked at the consafe website a very intresting website, never heard of them before, how many people do they employ?

Richie

Hi Richie

Will send you a private one on this as we have drifted away from the Pallion yard and Bankline a wee bit!

AL

Winebuff
13th January 2010, 13:35
I joined m.v. Firbank for her maiden voyage out of Pallion yard in late 1976 as a second trip Engineering Cadet.
New computer driven main engine governor threw a wobbler just after hand over about 2 miles out. Could never understand why we ended up changing a liner at sea in site of the quay.
Followed my worst ever trip across the North Atlantic to Houston lightship, think it took 20 days not 6. (memory may be wrong).
Engine on manual control in a hurricane maybe I should have got out sooner.
1994, 18 years later my daughter's University Halls of residence were built on the old Pallion yard site.