Missing seafaring relative

johnblack5
12th April 2008, 18:11
Hello. I am now a young 71 years of age and have decided at long last to find out more about my relatives. My Grandfather, John Smith was a skipper of a trawler sailing out of Grimsby, he had a son John Joseph who he left with his Grandfather living in Northwich. He also had some daughters who may still be alive living in Grimsby, Tina, and Kathy. I was told he took my father on one trip to the Dogger Bank, once was enough it appears. Any information would be greatly appreciated, I saw paintings of 2 of the trawlers but do not know the name. By all accounts a tough individual, possibly par for the course.
It was probably due to him that I inherited a love of triple expansion marine engines and became a model engineer which is how I now spend my time.

I hope an old trawlerman from Grimsby can help.

John

Bruce Carson
12th April 2008, 18:22
John, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to have you onboard.
Hope that our members can provide some information for you.
I think you'll be impressed with our fisheries threads and photographs.

Bruce

K urgess
12th April 2008, 18:33
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, John.
We have plenty of crew aboard from the Grimsby area and involved with fishing research. Let's hope they can help.
Meanwhile find your way around, join in and enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
12th April 2008, 18:51
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

non descript
12th April 2008, 22:32
John, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and I hope you secure the answers you are looking for; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

gdynia
13th April 2008, 05:50
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Keith Adams
16th April 2008, 04:18
Hi John, Welcome and I trust the mighty Fishing Branch of this great site will do their stuff for you ... be nice to view the old paintings when you are up to posting them, Regards, Keith

johnblack5
25th April 2008, 14:26
Hello, I know have some more information about Captain John Smith of Grimsby..
His first wife died in 1916 and in 1917 he married again, a Kate Vickers.
They had 3 daughters one of them a Christine (called Tina), Nancy, Bessie and a son Ernest.
Tina's husband was killed on his first trip after the war when the trawler hit a mine. His name could have been John Everly.

From the NELC site I have some additional info.

His certificate number was 10474, he was a mate in 1911 on a trawler named Russel owned by Authur Grant and in 1913 was the skipper of a trawler named Godra.

Can anyone tell he how I can get a copy of the certificate 10474 ?

John

johnblack5
25th May 2008, 09:27
[QUOTE=johnblack5;211159]Hello, I now have some more information about Captain John Smith of Grimsby..
His first wife died in 1916 and in 1917 he married again, a Kate Vickers.
They had 3 daughters one of them a Christine (called Tina), Nancy, Bessie and a son Ernest.
Tina's husband was killed on his first trip after the war when the trawler hit a mine. His name was Benjamin T N Reynolds and the trawler was the Earl Wessex.

From the NELC site I have some additional info.

His certificate number was 10474, he was a mate in 1911 on a trawler named Russel owned by Authur Grant and in 1913 was the skipper of a trawler named Gadra.

He also sailed as Mate on the Russel GY192 and the Anson GY47

Some of this information has resulted from members of this site making contributions for which I am most grateful.