Memories

harvey19a
14th April 2008, 03:11
As a new member I have greatly enjoyed scanning the Ellermans fora.

I was too late to be associated with the Lucknow, but some of the names I instantly recall - Glen Waage, of course, that fine man, also Paddy Langhan with a very dry sense of humour. Mention was made too of Capt. O'Neill - best described as a "challenge" when serving under him in a junior capacity.

Denis Dick was, as said, the son of the Commodore, although I cannot recollect his ship. Must have been Durban or PE, as Capt. Tyrell had the York, and Capt. Steele the Exeter - I remember his son, Tim, from pre-sea at Warsash.

Other names I remember - Poona, with Capt. D. B. Butler (another "challenge"), Second Mates Phil Perham and Tony Shopland, Chief Engineer Henry Bethel ---- York, with Capt. Tyrell, C/O Duncan Turner (first class guy), 2/O Bill Harvey, 3/O's Don Walker and John Wilson, Mrs Nielsen and her fine band of ladies, SR/O Jim Wallace, JR/O Bill Cole - for some years my brother-in-law ---- Cape Town, with Capt. Frame ----Montreal, with Capt. Aston Ramsden, and C/O Don ("Deep-tank") Brown (who lost the combination to the bullion room.......)

I'm sure more will come back to me.

Hope this has evoked a few happy memories for more of you out there.

Harvey

el_scripto
22nd July 2008, 15:18
Hi Harvey19a,
Just to jog your memory, Commodore Dick retired from the York in June,1968 and Captain Tyrrell then took over until the ship was sold.
I also remember c/o Duncan Turner, Jim Wallace, Jeannie Neilson and Glen Waage.

el_scripto

HALLLINE
25th July 2008, 12:43
Hello Harvey 19a,
I was on the London (steam version) with Ramsden when he was Mate. He spoke fluent Hindustani,which must have come as a bit of a shock to some of the deck crew.
Dave

mikedavis
19th August 2008, 16:58
hi Halline.
I was on the London from Sept 62 till May 63 as Ex 4th eng. Was on her when the 2nd Eng drowned in Bombay.
What year was you on her. Have some photo's of some of the lads aboard her. Will send them if you are interested.
Mike Davis.

HALLLINE
20th August 2008, 13:09
Hello Mike,
My first ship was the City of New York on the Bombay run 1965, so I must have been on the London about 1967, I'v got my first discharge book somewhere, the trick is remembering where !. Send the photos and I'll see if I remember anybody from my steam days.
Dave

AlexBooth
15th September 2008, 05:28
Harvey,
I beg to differ,
I was a first trip cadet on the maiden voy of the Hull under Capt O'Neil, I'd say very correct not exactly problamatic, subsequently sailed with. Capts Butler (Bedford), Frame (Hull), Hine (Colombo-far from a Swine), Hartley (Toronto), Turner (Arcadian) to mention those I recall off the top of my head.
Have to sign off for , be back later.
Brgds & Cheers all
Alex

John Wotherspoon
22nd September 2008, 22:13
Harvey,
I beg to differ,
I was a first trip cadet on the maiden voy of the Hull under Capt O'Neil, I'd say very correct not exactly problamatic, subsequently sailed with. Capts Butler (Bedford), Frame (Hull), Hine (Colombo-far from a Swine), Hartley (Toronto), Turner (Arcadian) to mention those I recall off the top of my head.
Have to sign off for , be back later.
Brgds & Cheers all
Alex

Hi Alex,
My Dad was Captain of the City of Winchester until he retired through ill health in about 1962. Is anyone out there likely to remember him?

John

AlexBooth
28th September 2008, 01:16
Sorry John, before my time ('69/'76)

To add another to my reminissing, I would be VERY remissing not to include "Uncle" Norman Perry, as the girls from the nurses residence in St John NB. Called him after being snowed in onboard the Hull one night.
Very fair Capt and some great. yarns on the 8-

A quantity of gin short on the manifest -
gin in the forepeak !?!?

Cheers all.

dixie
9th December 2008, 22:35
just found this thread.So many names back from the past ,i wonder where they all are now
john wilson

JoeQ
8th January 2009, 15:12
Enjoyed my time in Ellermans 71-77 and remember some of the names mentioned; sailed with AA Ramsden on the Montreal and who could forget Maurice Hartley, on the Ripon and Singapore

jg grant
8th January 2009, 20:17
Anybody on this thread/post know of an incident involving a city boat in Durban around 1964? Said ship came up on the wharf and knocked over a dockside crane scaring seven bells of whatsit out of me.I have the story, thread/post somewhere but I don't know where it is.I'm so confused. Regards Ronnie