Loss of the "Ariel"

John_F
31st May 2005, 15:02
Would any member have any information on the loss of the Ariel, a sailing vessel I believe, possibly belonging to the East India Company. I think she sank off, or near, Leghorn (Livorno), Italy in about 1848. My great, great, great uncle was aboard this vessel & was saved along with all hands.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Santos
31st May 2005, 22:23
Hi John,(Wave)

There was an Ariel of P & O's, sunk off Leghorn in 1848, in which there was no loss of life. She was a paddle steamer of 790 tons, built in 1846. Similar to the attached pic below

Could this be the same ship you are looking for.?

The only other Ariel was the famous tea clipper, but she was lost outward bound for Australia in 1872.

Chris.

John_F
1st June 2005, 01:01
Chris,
Many thanks for that. It is too much of a coincidence for it to be any other vessel. I was only guessing at the East India Company because of family connections. My ggg uncle was only 17 at the time of the loss - I don't know if it put him off the sea for the rest of his life or not. I only know that he died in 1877 so could not have been involved in the other Ariel loss.
Do you happen to know why the Leghorn Ariel foundered?
Many thanks, once again, Chris, for one more piece of foliage to the family tree - much appreciated.
Kind regards,
John

Santos
1st June 2005, 21:01
John,

Sorry, I dont know how she came to founder, but if I find out I will let you know.

Dave,

You have heard of the Ancient Mariner ? I'm his Dad. the Extremely Ancient Mariner (Night)

Chris.

Dave Edge
2nd June 2005, 01:47
"Ariel" stranded on rocks off Mal de Vetro near Leghorn. Passengers and crew rescued by HMS "Sidon". "Ariel" subsequently broke up in gale on 1 July 1848.

John_F
2nd June 2005, 10:39
Dave,
Many thanks for that info.
Are you any relation to Malcolm Edge who was with BP? I believe he eventually became an "Elder" at Trinity House.
Thanks once again.
John

Dave Edge
3rd June 2005, 07:21
John,
Not related to Malcolm Edge as far as I know. Family, a couple of generations ago, were from Liverpool area but now out in New Zealand.
Rgds,
Dave