SOUND OF SEIL ex- FRESHWATER

Fairfield
1st June 2005, 14:06
Built by the Ailsa yard at Troon for BR/s Southern Region for Isle of Wight service in 1959.
Finished her days back on the Clyde from the early 1980s as Western Ferries'SOUND OF SEIL and scrapped at Garston in 1997

Doug Rogers
2nd June 2005, 08:12
Can I have a quid please for every time I have travelled on her please..great to see her steaming on!!

David Marshall
18th January 2009, 09:46
I have pics of this ship rotting away in Brazil so she was not broken up in Garston

non descript
18th January 2009, 10:19
I have pics of this ship rotting away in Brazil so she was not broken up in Garston

I am always cautious, as there is room for error in many things, but two things caution me from agreeing that she is actually alive and well living in Brasil… one is the sheer distance from the Clyde to the Amazon, which might be a little tough on her? The other is the somewhat conclusive evidence contained within this link. (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=21579)

David Marshall
18th January 2009, 17:03
Have found pics are Garston Shore

vitalspark
19th January 2009, 09:43
Here's a nice picture which I took on board Sound of Seil in 1994.

Best wishes,
Dave

non descript
19th January 2009, 10:08
Here's a nice picture which I took on board Sound of Seil in 1994.

Best wishes,
Dave

Nice one, and I can see the mountains of Rio in the distance... (Jester)

vitalspark
19th January 2009, 15:05
I can see the mountains of Rio in the distance... (Jester)

Naughty, naughty............

Dave

non descript
20th January 2009, 08:09
Dave,
Your picture really underlines the poor state of the ro-ro market for the export of cars to Brasil... (Jester)

Things have not got much better recently either, so maybe that is why she came back to Garston...(EEK)

(Thumb)
Mark

B Wales
25th January 2009, 23:27
I too have traveled on this vessel, both as the "Freshwater" at Lymington and in later years as the "Sound of Seil" and also her running mate "Sound of Sanda" (1974) ex "Lymington".

I think the former "Freshwater" was sold by Western Ferries in 1996 to a Engineering Company to convert into a Floating Crane Barge and the former "Lymington" was sold to Harper Engineering of Oban in 1994 to convert into a Floating Barge, but was abandoned on a Beach soon afterwards.

Interesting both the fate of the "Lymington" & "Freshwater" both the owners that plan to convert them to Barges went bust!.

MARINEJOCKY
26th January 2009, 00:07
I am always cautious, as there is room for error in many things, but two things caution me from agreeing that she is actually alive and well living in Brasil… one is the sheer distance from the Clyde to the Amazon, which might be a little tough on her? The other is the somewhat conclusive evidence contained within this link. (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=21579)

I looked at the photos from the link that you posted Tonga and unless I am mistaken the stainless steel rams at the ramp are still bright & shiney, is that possible after all of these years.

I worked for Western Ferries in 1980 on the Sound of Islay and then was up in Oban on the catamaran for a few days and down on the Clyde for a few more days helping out.

william dillon
26th January 2009, 20:46
Nice one, and I can see the mountains of Rio in the distance... (Jester)

Tonga,
You'r at it again, surely it's the "Gantocks Mountains" you can see (Smoke)

MARINEJOCKY
26th January 2009, 22:02
Hi Tonga, is there not two threads on this same subject that people are posting on. Just wondering as I came across the other one just now