Oriana 1960

cockerhoop
2nd June 2005, 10:43
Getting mixed news reports that Oriana has gone for scapping after being refloated in Dalian
anyone confirm the rumours

2nd June 2005, 12:18
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Oriana1photos.html#anchor62656

Seems to confirm things..

Dave

michael james
2nd June 2005, 13:19
Thanks for that link Dave, a sad end to a Grand Old Lady.

Doug Rogers
3rd June 2005, 01:56
Sadly there never was much hope after she was so badly damaged. A trend setter in her time, sad to see her go but perhaps better that way that to slowly rot away as a nonentity!!

trotterdotpom
3rd June 2005, 15:40
I saw "Oriana" tied up as a tourist attraction in Oita, Japan in the mid-80's. What a sad, embarrassing end for a British MN icon. Almost as bad as "Queen Elizabeth" (the first) lying on her side at Hong Kong.

John T.

Santos
3rd June 2005, 20:58
I agree, a sad end for a lovely ship, Oriana.

Please dont remind me about the QE in Hong Kong that should never have happened, she should have been preserved as her sister QM has. She should have been preserved by us, the British. She was the biggest ship in the world at the time, and what happened ? Yes, another piece of great British maritime history trashed.

Thank God for cameras eh Ron, at least our children and grandchildren can see what she looked like.

Chris.

Marcus Cardew
4th June 2005, 15:14
I agree, a sad end for a lovely ship, Oriana.

Please dont remind me about the QE in Hong Kong that should never have happened, she should have been preserved as her sister QM has. She should have been preserved by us, the British. She was the biggest ship in the world at the time, and what happened ? Yes, another piece of great British maritime history trashed.

Thank God for cameras eh Ron, at least our children and grandchildren can see what she looked like.

Chris.

Hi Chris,
There is at least one little bit of the QE left. I've got a Main Deck 'Map' (Aluminium & Perspex) that was 'rescued' on her last visit to NY........

Kapitain
27th August 2005, 17:14
a picture is not quite the same as the real deal id love to be able to take my kids (if i have any) on such a vessel like the QE and QM hope they still be around in 50 years

R58484956
27th August 2005, 17:24
QE, my old ship 250 trips on her, the day the fires started on her, the skeleton British crew were all given the day off. Two valves to open on the Weir pump (1 steam inlet, 1 sea inlet v/v )to pump water into the sprinkler system. The pump was situated at bottom of genny room steps. The Brits would have known that. I will so no more.