Hi to all

RayL
16th April 2008, 23:45
My name is Ray Livingston. Forty-three years ago I became a Radio Officer in the employ of Marconi. My first 8 months were spent on the T.T. Naess Sovereign. After a 'Radiolocator IV' radar course in Cardiff, I served for 5 months on the Bank Line ship M.V. Speybank. Would love to hear from any old crew mates who remember me. Also any news on what became of these good ships.

K urgess
17th April 2008, 00:04
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Ray.
Sounds a familiar story. Plenty of us knocking around in the crew.
Find the radio room (no watches), join in and enjoy the trip.

benjidog
17th April 2008, 00:12
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

non descript
17th April 2008, 00:47
Ray, a warm welcome to you; thank you for joining the community and you will find a whole host of Sparkies on here; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

gdynia
17th April 2008, 12:24
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

RayL
28th April 2008, 22:16
Thanks for the warm messages of welcome, chaps. Answering my own questions, it seems that 'Naess Sovereign' was built in 1961 and bit the dust c1975 (broken up at Barcelona after being renamed 'Burmah Zircon' c1974). The 'Speybank' was built at Newcastle in 1962 and was in the Bank Line fleet until 1978. Then she was sold to a Greek firm and got renamed 'Good Transporter'.
The N.S. was huge for her time and she had the disconcerting characteristic of vibrating violently when a certain strength of bow wave struck her (always in the Med, I noticed). It felt like an air bubble travelling the length of the ship and you were thrown up and down. As R/O on watch, I was sufficiently alarmed to turn on the transmitter in case she suddenly broke in two and I had only seconds to send "SOS". Good job it was just my imagination - our lifeboat transmitter was out of action due to horse play by an apprentice!