Shell Tankers 1957

onestar
19th April 2008, 12:17
I was a deck apprentice aboard the Shell Tanker VIBEX, (GTNL, 20787 gross tons, 31817 deadweight tons). The Suez Canal was closed and we steamed Europe/Persian gulf via the Cape of Good Hope. Outward bound the voyage was 31 days non-stop in ballast, 32 days back fully laden with Mena crude. Typical loading time was 12 hours, while discharging at Thameshaven or Rotterdam (Pernis) was 24 to 36 hours. We spent a lot of time at sea!

Once the Suez Canal was re-opened it made for shorter voyages, but there was a glut of tankers so we steamed on one boiler giving a typical speed of 12 knots and opposed to our service speed of 16.5 knots fully laden. This was to save fuel and slow the whole delivery process. However on one occasion we did 17.5 knots in ballast so as to arrived in Port Said to catch the next convoy southbound.

Her master was Captain T.C. Pearsall, who had been one of the first group of Shell apprentices in 1917, and had been in command throughout World War II where he was mentioned in despatches. He was quite a character and retired just before I left the ship. VIBEX was the only ship I served on where we kept L.A.T. (local apparent time). Each day the 2nd Mate had to work out roughly where we would be at noon the following day and clocks would be adjusted accordingly so the the sun crossed the meridian at 1200 the next day.

Later (1959) I served as 3rd Mate aboard NICANIA, based at Singapore. Shell was a great company to work for, but it was a hard life for family men.

Onestar 19 April 2008

K urgess
19th April 2008, 14:25
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Onestar.
I've moved your post into the say hello forum for a wider exposure.
I'm sure you'll find a lot of Shell lads in the crew from the same era.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.

Bruce Carson
19th April 2008, 14:39
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Onestar.
We hope you find much of interest here. Fell free to join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

onestar
19th April 2008, 14:57
Thanks for the move, the thread mentioned Shell laying up ships after the re-opening of the Suez Canal in 1957, but my comment was not about T2's so was a bit off-thread!

As an aside, is it not possible to show all the new posts for say the last two days. At present only the ten most recent are shown. Or perhaps I just do not know how to navigate around the site.

Thanks,

Onestar
19 April 2008

K urgess
19th April 2008, 15:07
If you log on to the forums page it normally shows you all the items posted since you last logged on.
If you bookmark the forums page you can get back to it every time you log on.
Most searches have to have a subject and I can't find a way to access the last 48 hours worth of posts. Maybe one of the other mods have an answer.
Cheers
Kris

mclean
19th April 2008, 18:08
Onestar, welcome from western Canada.Was Shell Apprentice/4th.mate from 1957/61. Thaumastus ,Naticina ,Tectus ,Achatina ,Hyria, Acavus, Hinnites ,San Gaspar. Regards Colin

Ron Stringer
19th April 2008, 23:00
As an aside, is it not possible to show all the new posts for say the last two days. At present only the ten most recent are shown. Or perhaps I just do not know how to navigate around the site.

Thanks,

Onestar
19 April 2008

If you scroll to the very top of the screen, in the right-hand corner there is a 'View' button. Clicking on this produces a drop-down table with 'New Posts' as the first listing. Clicking on this, you will get a chronological list of all the postings (on every thread) that you haven't looked at since you were last on the site. After you have opened and read them, they will not appear again the next time that you click on 'New Posts'.

Good luck.

Jim MacIntyre
19th April 2008, 23:36
Hello Onestar
Welcome to the site. Sailed extra third with Shell lat 1963 through 1964.
Davila, Axina, Ninella and Rita.
Jim Mac

onestar
20th April 2008, 12:04
Thanks all for the welcome, and the tips! I am finding my way around.

Onestar 20 April 2008

benjidog
20th April 2008, 15:12
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will continue to enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

mikeg
20th April 2008, 15:40
Hi & welcome Onestar,

I sailed with Shell from '66-'87,
hope you enjoy the site.

Mike

gdynia
21st April 2008, 02:37
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage