Thorpe Grange aka St Merriel

stequantum
19th April 2008, 16:29
Any one about who sailed on this ship 1971/72 she was sold to an indian company in 1972 let me know

non descript
27th April 2008, 19:04
A relatively long and complicated (or repetitious) story to this one.. Built by Bartram & Sons Wallsend (yard number 343) as Thorpe Grange in 1954, changed to St Merriel in 1971, then back to Thorpe Grange a year later, in 1972, and then confusingly, back again to St Merriel before the end of that year. She left the company in 1973 and became Joo Hong, then in 1975: Pan Teck, and finally in 1977 Liva. She was broken up in 1979 at Kaohsiung. - To be factually correct, she broke her moorings whilst under arrest in Colombo under the name Liva during February 1978 and managed to be involved in a collision. She was then sold and given the name Selemat Sindia before being sold to Taiwanese shipbreakers for usd124.00 per light deadweight ton.

Ian MacD
9th May 2008, 20:49
I remember her well she was my first ship as third mate back in 1963 'Charlie' Wells was the master and the mate was one of the last of the "Bucko" mates from the old days by the name of Stevens. Like all of the old "Bucko" mates he never married, carried a large collection of expensive cameras and was addicted to steam trains - nothing wrong with that - nevertheless he was a hard case and a difficult man to do a round the world trip with.

non descript
19th January 2009, 10:27
Thanks to GlobeChart we now have an excellent picture of her here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=158540)

stequantum
13th April 2009, 10:21
Thanks for that and sorry it was 1972 until 1973 i was on her did 3 trips as galley boy, one thing that always got me is why when they did the rescue training eg stick some one in a strecher and hoist him up to the top of the derick did they always picked on me?. Still would not swap the memories for anything.

wellsent
1st September 2013, 12:13
Hi. I came on to this site to see if anyone remembered my father-in-law Charles Wells who was, among other things, the Master of Thorpe Grange. I see that Ian McD remembers him..... does anyone else have any stories? His son Andrew and I are doing a lot of family research and would love some more meat to put on the bones! Fingers crossed! Thanks.

duquesa
1st September 2013, 13:42
I sailed with Charlie Wells after he somewhat reluctantly transferred over to the tankers. I was with him on the Imperial Transport. I think the c/o was Kirkby. I was 3/0. I'll try and recall the dates as my discharge went walkabout years ago.

Abbeywood.
6th September 2013, 13:11
Any one about who sailed on this ship 1971/72 she was sold to an indian company in 1972 let me know

I did a 'run job' between L'pool and Swansea in the 'Thorpe Grange' between leaving the 'Hornby Grange' and joining the 'Rippingham Grange' back in L'pool. (7th - 10th September 1960)
If memory serves, the 'Thorpe Grange' had a five legged Doxford main engine with engine driven scavenge pumps.
Ah, those were the days. Iron ships and wooden men.
The general cargo ships, (Thorpe, Langton, and Urmston Granges), spent more time in the River Plate area than they did in their home waters. Mind, the 'fridge ships did'nt do too bad either, with stays in BA, in Dock 4, discharging, and loading at the Anglo plant at Dock Sud, before going round to Berisso,(La Plata), to the Swift and Armour plants, to 'top off.

Thanks for geeing up my memory and regards'
Pete'

huckyum
3rd April 2014, 17:17

I was serving as an apprentice on this vessel in 1972 under the command of Captain Lewis
I sadly bore witness to view the burnt out hull of the Royston Grange
in Montevedeo
A very sad occasion i will never forget
Antony Wood

huckyum
3rd April 2014, 17:30
I sailed with Captain Lewis twice
My first trip was on the MV Cumbria where he was the Captain
I served on the Edenmore during the dock strike and had many months in Port Talbot
My last trip for the company was on the Clymene
over

clonguish
14th April 2014, 22:50
I sailed with Captain Lewis twice
My first trip was on the MV Cumbria where he was the Captain
I served on the Edenmore during the dock strike and had many months in Port Talbot
My last trip for the company was on the Clymene
over

Laughing to my self as I joined the Edenmore in Port Talbot as a first trip Eng App at that time, so must have known you, so assume you remember the Story of a certain officer who "married" a lass from Port Talbot albeit she was already married.

vasco
15th April 2014, 12:48
I guess we are talking about wild Bill from Newport. On the cerinthus with him in 69, always a cold coke on the desk at smoko and monopoly was free beer. He threw a chair at a pilot once. Paying off he bollocked me and offered me a lift home from Cardiff in the same breath . Believe he said something like "my daughter will be in the car, don't get any ideas ". Loved the bloke, life was never dull.

Joh Heaton
16th April 2014, 21:06
Duncan
It was the 5th Eng ( Panzy P) the police were waiting for him when we got back from Monrovia on the east coast of the UK.Remember when alongside in Port Talbot she slep in the rag locker in the engine room when they had a row!!!
There was also first trip junior Eng who was going out with a married women also but he did not marry her like Panzy did.Think he was the witness at Panzy,s wedding. He was always saying someone was following him everytime he went ashore it wasnt him they were following it was for Panzy.
Behind all that was a woman ( in her 50,s) who had a bakers shop cant remeber her name.

clonguish
16th April 2014, 23:23
Ah John but do you remember buying the record in Port Talbot when we didnt know the name so you hummed it to the record shop owner, If I remember it was called Popcorn , Ah Pansy ( CC ) by the by thnx for the birthday wishes!