Garden view at sea?

Ian6
20th April 2008, 12:03
Today's Sunday Times reports that Royal Caribbean International have a 220,000 ton cruise ship scheduled for launching in late 2009.

We already have putting greens, climbing walls etc on cruise ships, this latest is to have 'an enclosed, half acre, urban park'. The lucky ones amongst the 5,400 passengers will be able to choose to not even see the sea from their cabins.

What is the point of paying to go on a cruise in a ship that will doubtless resemble a block of flats, accompanied by enough people to fill a small town, with a cabin with garden view to practice golf or rock climbing?

Imagine the impact on any quaint port when 5,400 people arrive in one go - as if a dozen jumbo jets landed at once.

Ian

benjidog
20th April 2008, 14:14
I wonder if the park will come complete with dog turds, graffitti and vandals - that will make them feel really at home! :)

Brian

RCHARLTON
20th April 2008, 14:24
You might not be too far off the mark Brian. Here is some more information showing the park complete with trees!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=559967&in_page_id=1770

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Ray

JoK
20th April 2008, 15:00
I was having a chat with a co-worker and we got onto the topic of passenger ships and the amount of passengers carried and what do these companies consider acceptable risk in getting people off. I made the comment that there is no Country equipped to pick up that many people if there was an accident. His comment back was, what if there was a collision between two? Whooo, that made me think.

JimC
20th April 2008, 18:47
I was having a chat with a co-worker and we got onto the topic of passenger ships and the amount of passengers carried and what do these companies consider acceptable risk in getting people off. I made the comment that there is no Country equipped to pick up that many people if there was an accident. His comment back was, what if there was a collision between two? Whooo, that made me think.
We had eight yes 8 of the great ugly things in and off our harbour at the new year. Fireworks and all makes of 'bangy', 'burny' 'things' were everywhere.
It occurred to me at the time: there would be around 17,000 people on these vessels - what would happen if they caught fire? Doesn't bear thinking about and I would guess that the hand- rubbing marketing men wouldn't be thinking about it either!

Jim C