Information

jake11a
24th April 2008, 11:19
G'day Readers, my name is Jack Secker. Ex MN through the Vindi at Sharpness, Gloucester 1951. D/b R553588
I am researching the Vindi history and have come upon a blank space. I can't seem to find the date when the GSS moved back to Gravesend after WW11. I think it must have been late 1945, or early 1946. Does any one have this knowledge, or does anyone know where I can find this info.
Any help would be appreciated
Please send a PM for contact .. My email address is deleted

Thanks in advance.
Jack Secker.

non descript
24th April 2008, 11:57
Jack, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; I am sure someone will be able to step up and assist, in the meantime enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

K urgess
24th April 2008, 12:29
Welcome to the crew, Jack.
Plenty of Vindi boys aboard who can probably help.
I hope you find what you're looking for.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

Bruce Carson
24th April 2008, 12:44
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Jack.
Make yourself at home and feel free to join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

glancon
24th April 2008, 13:39
Hello jackella,

There's a paragraph in this document stating that the premises were handed back to the Shipping Federation in 1944, but did not revert to training Deck & Catering boys until 1945.

http://www.rakaia.co.uk/downloads/sea-schools/sea-schools.pdf

Hope this helps a little.

Glancon

gdynia
24th April 2008, 16:17
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

benjidog
24th April 2008, 19:34
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Jim MacIntyre
26th April 2008, 03:32
Jack
This is the Vindi web-site ....

http://www.vindicatrix-hq.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers
Jim Mac

jake11a
27th April 2008, 02:35
G'day Everyone,
I thank you one and all for such a great welcome and I will look around and hopefully join in some of your discussions as I progress along. It is a little like joining the Vindi again, lots of people to meet and many more names to try and remember. The brain, being a little long in the tooth, finds that many of the storage areas are grossly overfull and only receiving more cargo under strong duress. However, one will persevere and do ones best. Thanks again, and I will return soon Jack Secker

jake11a
27th April 2008, 03:13
Hello jackella,

There's a paragraph in this document stating that the premises were handed back to the Shipping Federation in 1944, but did not revert to training Deck & Catering boys until 1945.

Glancon

G'day Glancon, many thanks for the help with the url: I have already found that site and gone through it comprehensively. Your info about returning to training in 1944 is new to me. I was under the impression that the GSS was not returned to Gravesend until '45. Thanks, for another little piece of the jigsaw. Do you know if that era was commenced as the NSTS Gravesend or still under the Vindicatrix flag? Jack

jake11a
27th April 2008, 03:15
Hello jackella,

Glancon

G'day Glancon, many thanks for the help with the url: I have already found that site and gone through it comprehensively. Your info about returning to training in 1944 is new to me. I was under the impression that the GSS was not returned to Gravesend until '45 with actual training starting in '46. Thanks, for another little piece of the jigsaw. Do you know if that era was commenced as the NSTS Gravesend or still under the Vindicatrix flag? Jack

R58484956
27th April 2008, 11:25
G'day Jack and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

glancon
11th May 2008, 23:32
Hi jackella,

Sorry not to have replied sooner but I didn't see your question until today. I'm afraid I don't know the answer anyway, but I'll keep looking.

Glancon