P & O s.s. Himalaya

Doug Rogers
4th June 2005, 06:10
Himalaya in the Solent in 1967 outward bound for the Mediterranean.

Marcus Cardew
4th June 2005, 16:17
AFter the mighty 'Maipura', "Could we have a little more smoke for the photograph please?"

Doug Rogers
4th June 2005, 23:24
AFter the mighty 'Maipura', "Could we have a little more smoke for the photograph please?"

I will see what I can do for you.

Marcus Cardew
6th June 2005, 21:05
Hi Doug,
Apologies for the levity, but having spent a couple of days anchored off Durban, waiting for a berth (Sept '69), the 'Himalaya' sort of swept passed us to go straight in. 'Cos I knew that one of my pal's was aboard, I thought that a bit of Aldis Morse practice was in order, so I called up 'What Ship?' (we were about half a mile from each other, and I could read her name quite clearly).. Getting no reply, I then tried 'Where Bound?' ... That elicited no reply either. Then someone must have 'Blown Tubes' or something, but there was a satisfactory waft of black smoke from the Funnel, so that was when I tried ' May we have a bit more smoke for the photo, please?'.... That caught someones attention, but they could have been a bit more imaginative than '@!#* Off!'.

The 'Maipura' reference was because whenever I saw her, or was on her, she always seemed to trail a cloud of black smoke, which I remember we referrered to a 'Brocklebank House Flag'..

I obviously didn't have enough to do in those days.......
Cheers!
Marcus

John_F
6th June 2005, 21:56
Never knew how you pronounced her name......was it "Himarlia" or like the mountain range - Himalayas? We had a steward on a BP tanker who had sailed on her & always spoke of the Himarlia.

Doug Rogers
7th June 2005, 05:41
Hi Doug,
Apologies for the levity, but having spent a couple of days anchored off Durban, waiting for a berth (Sept '69), the 'Himalaya' sort of swept passed us to go straight in. 'Cos I knew that one of my pal's was aboard, I thought that a bit of Aldis Morse practice was in order, so I called up 'What Ship?' (we were about half a mile from each other, and I could read her name quite clearly).. Getting no reply, I then tried 'Where Bound?' ... That elicited no reply either. Then someone must have 'Blown Tubes' or something, but there was a satisfactory waft of black smoke from the Funnel, so that was when I tried ' May we have a bit more smoke for the photo, please?'.... That caught someones attention, but they could have been a bit more imaginative than '@!#* Off!'.

The 'Maipura' reference was because whenever I saw her, or was on her, she always seemed to trail a cloud of black smoke, which I remember we referrered to a 'Brocklebank House Flag'..

I obviously didn't have enough to do in those days.......
Cheers!
Marcus

I may actually have been on board at that time..so perhaps you had two "shipmates" on board...but didnt know it. Glad you enjoyed the picture and thanks for the explanation.

Doug Rogers
7th June 2005, 05:46
Never knew how you pronounced her name......was it "Himarlia" or like the mountain range - Himalayas? We had a steward on a BP tanker who had sailed on her & always spoke of the Himarlia.

John,
Refer to my post of 14th Oct 04 about her name!!. (if u do a search under Himalaya its easy to go from there, converse with Fairfield on it).

R58484956
7th June 2005, 20:30
Himarlia by pursers and mates, Himalaya by engineers

ali querey
18th September 2011, 15:42
Hello - In another thread, Doug Rogers spoke briefly about obtaining one of 2 replica SS Himalaya ship's bells from a mold recast in 1975. I'd like to learn more about the history here. I just obtained an SS Himalaya bridge bell at an estate sale in Chicago IL and am interested in learning more. Hoping Doug is still active on the forums or that someone might point me to him or provide some history. I am going to install this bell on my sailboat soon. Thanks!

R58484956
18th September 2011, 15:47
Greetings Ali and welcome to SN from across the pond. Bon voyage.

reefrat
19th September 2011, 08:28
Sailed home on the Himalaya from Tilbury in February 1965, passed the largest ship ever to enter the Thames a 109,000 ton tanker up to that time, but can't remember her name
Smoke from the funnel was some thing that Lord Vestey abhorred. When he built his mansion near the approaches to Liverpool he would watch his ships through a telescope passing by and if there was any smoke would call his Marine Super and get him to tick off the Master.
Lord Vestey was parsimonious to a degree. While the above mentioned mansion was being built he put up, for several months, at the Savoy. When the time came for his final departure he had his secretary organised a parade of all the hotel servants who had looked after him during his stay, from doorman to boots, and presented each of them with a sixpence .

sparkie2182
19th September 2011, 13:33
I bet he paid his accountants more.

"Trying to come to grips with the Vesteys over tax," one tax officer who attempted to take on the Vesteys is reputed to have said at the time, "is like trying to squeeze a rice pudding."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/obituaries/on-the-wrong-side-of-history/2007/12/07/1196813016024.html

Ron Stringer
19th September 2011, 17:54
"Saved" money by not fitting radars on his ships until the law made it compulsory.

60'sgirl
21st January 2012, 01:16
Any one remember three new recruits who sailed to Australia 68-69
Alan Wales,Butch and David?(Gleam)(Gleam)

keith1156
24th March 2012, 05:27
Sailed back from Aden to Tilbury on Himalaya 1963, great times great ship

Sailtie
28th September 2012, 16:09
First proper ship I ever set foot on. We visited my uncle (Harold Masson) who was a QM about 53 or 54.
I think it was the exotic smell of curry and heavy fuel oil that made me want to go to sea.

Nap
25th February 2013, 22:55
Any one remember three new recruits who sailed to Australia 68-69
Alan Wales,Butch and David?(Gleam)(Gleam)

Hi Guys,
Who could ever forget You. This is Nap.. (alias the Red Baron). Wishing You well.[=D]