john elcid, new cadet

john elcid
26th April 2008, 16:57
Hi all,
I am john elcid. In was looking for some information on British Swift which I sailed on in 1965 and came upon Shipnostalgia so joined up.
I served my engineering apprenticeship with BP Tankers from 1960 until 1965. College time was at South East London Tech, then workshop time in Harland & Wolff Belfast late 62 and college at South Shields Tech early 63. During my apprenticeship I sailed on British Beacon, Workman and Councillor. My first ship as junior was Swift in 65, Spleandour as relief until Christmas 65.
Next was Crusader, the best BP ship I ever sailed on, totally reliable and good crowd. My last ship was Chancellor, another Doxford dog. I left in April 67 and went ashore.
I worked in Tilbury Power Station for 6 months then fell out with the union. I joined Bowker & King Coastal Tankers for a couple of years then joined Townsend Car Ferries in 69. Worked my way up to Chief Engineer then went ashore in 82 as superintendent. We were taken over by P&O in 87. I was in various jobs, up to Chief Super, then Project Manager and finally Fleet Technical Manager.
I left in 2002 and sailed as Chief Engineer on Island Escape. I left there after 6 months because the management instructed me to do work which would have put the ship in an illegal condition, which I declined to do.
Since the I've been self employed doing various construction jobs and surveys.
Now I'm working in Lloyd Werft, Bremerhaven, supervising construction of a super yacht.
This is my swansong. I will definitely retire next year when the yacht is completed.
It's good to find a site with so much information. If I can help anybody with any technical stuff, would be glad to oblige, if I know it.
Cheers.

K urgess
26th April 2008, 17:04
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, John.
Quite a few BP lads in the crew who will no doubt make themselves known.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

non descript
26th April 2008, 18:45
John, A warm welcome to you and it is good to see such a fine introduction piece, which surely will secure a constructive reply. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

Steve Woodward
26th April 2008, 21:38
John,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

Bruce Carson
26th April 2008, 22:02
John, thanks for that first class introduction.
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's fairly certain you'll run into old shipmates here and we'll be looking forward to your postings to SN in the future.

Bruce

benjidog
27th April 2008, 00:29
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

You will find basic information about British Swift here: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/153217

Regards,

Brian

slick
27th April 2008, 05:40
Welcome from Norfolk,
What a terrific intro, you'll find plenty of BP information both personnel and ships, and of course a lot more.
Yours aye,
Slick

R58484956
27th April 2008, 11:22
Greetings John and a warm welcome to SN. Very nice introduction you have given. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

gdynia
28th April 2008, 02:20
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Graham Wallace
30th April 2008, 01:08
Hi john,
I'm glad to see another ex BP Engineering Apprentice has surfaced. I know quite a few guys from your year but one one other from SE London Tech.
Graham wallace