Shaftesbury

DerekC
28th March 2006, 19:53
HI all,

Shaftesbury was my only general cargo trip when I was with Houlder Brothers, March to June 1972. A great trip round Europe and Central America, the mate Derek Brand and the captain was Leach. I was Deck Cadet. Unfotunately, I have no pictures to remind me how the trip went, or to show my kids. I do have some postcards of Panama transit, but its not the same. Anyone like to offer any more? I would be very grateful for any help in filling in my memory gaps. I paid off her in Liverpool, returning to meet a lovely girl I had met on the trip out, but she chucked me out after a week and kept my guitar...I wonder if she still has it? (Hippy)

regards
DerekC

non descript
28th March 2006, 21:46
Derek,

I'm sorry I have no photograph of her. For the record, Shaftesbury was sold in 1972 and became Portloe, sold again in 1973 and re-named Arauco and finally sold in 1978 to become Jal Sea Condor – sadly she foundered 3rd July 1978.

Kind regards
Tonga

Tim Smith
29th March 2006, 06:19
Hi All,
Never sailed on the Shaftsbury but remember Derek Brand as being mate on the Westbury in 1968 when I was apprentice.
Thought he may have made master by 72 but you can never tell with shipping.

Tim Smith

gdynia
29th March 2006, 06:36
HI all,

Shaftesbury was my only general cargo trip when I was with Houlder Brothers, March to June 1972. A great trip round Europe and Central America, the mate Derek Brand and the captain was Leach. I was Deck Cadet. Unfotunately, I have no pictures to remind me how the trip went, or to show my kids. I do have some postcards of Panama transit, but its not the same. Anyone like to offer any more? I would be very grateful for any help in filling in my memory gaps. I paid off her in Liverpool, returning to meet a lovely girl I had met on the trip out, but she chucked me out after a week and kept my guitar...I wonder if she still has it? (Hippy)

regards
DerekC

Derek

Click on the following webpage theres a photo of her

http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/shaftsbury.htm

DerekC
29th March 2006, 10:59
gdynia, well spotted, a very nice picture of Shaftesbury to add to my collection. Thanks.

Regards

Derek

DerekC
29th March 2006, 11:01
Thanks Tonga, I'll chase these other names as well.

regards
Derek

DerekC
29th March 2006, 11:03
Hi All,
Never sailed on the Shaftsbury but remember Derek Brand as being mate on the Westbury in 1968 when I was apprentice.
Thought he may have made master by 72 but you can never tell with shipping.

Tim Smith

Hi Tim,

DB was a tough old mate! Don't know if he got a masters job after 72, but I'll bet he would have been a good one.

regards

DerekC

hercules
2nd April 2006, 17:40
Derek Brand became Bargemaster on Houlder Offshores High Seas Driller circa 1982 onwards.

leo hannan
2nd April 2006, 19:09
Derek Brand became Bargemaster on Houlder Offshores High Seas Driller circa 1982 onwards.
Derek Brand was bargemaster in the North Sea on the HTS Coupler 1 (oregis) I sailed with him on the High Seas Driller 83-85

hercules
3rd April 2006, 20:25
Derek Brand was bargemaster in the North Sea on the HTS Coupler 1 (oregis) I sailed with him on the High Seas Driller 83-85

Yes Leo and you probably learnt about PC,s in the computer club onboard! (*))

leo hannan
4th April 2006, 12:30
Hello Hercules. As if I would have time on a busy rig to spend time on computers(well perhaps just a bit of time) I was on her for a couple of years and enjoyed it. Were you on at the same time? The computer club was quite popular with most people. If you were on there Hercules can you remember the service hand who went for a walk down the leg ladder and fell off? We were lucky to get him back.

hercules
4th April 2006, 13:49
remember the service hand who went for a walk down the leg ladder and fell off? We were lucky to get him back.

Yes remember it well, drill crew abandoned the rig floor as they all wanted to be in the rescue, luckily the current washed him back towards the steps, where they grabbed him. I think it was decided he had previous problems of some sort. (Ouch)

leo hannan
4th April 2006, 17:47
Any chance to get off the drill floor. We lowered the AD down on a rope to rescue the guy. The AD was a kiwi I think. After we got the guy into a hot bath I advised Dereck Brand to whistle up a chopper to get him off, can't be having unstable people on rigs can you. We got a thank you off his company but no free beer. Were you on her when we went to Ireland and we were involved in recovering the bodies from the Air India jet that got blown up.Interesting lives we had. Regards Leo (*))

hercules
4th April 2006, 19:00
Yes Leo, Peter Cashen earned his money that day refuelling choppers!

leo hannan
5th April 2006, 15:34
Hello again.
Are you Peter Cashen, The youngest Deckforeman in Houlder Offshore?You will have to come clean and reveal yourself and do you remember Dave Cheeseman.
Regards Leo

hercules
5th April 2006, 20:08
I used to sit in an office (occasionally) behind the bridge, not the radio shack, and I was on HSD all the time you were there, but had been with Houlders since 1969. (Read)

leo hannan
6th April 2006, 11:09
I cannot think for the life of me who you are. Its such a long time ago. I reckon you might be an engineer. The only offices I remember are the Toolpushers and I think we had a general office, OIM etc. Were we at sea together? I was with Houlders since 62. maiden voyage of the Abadesa

non descript
21st April 2006, 17:10
HI all,

Shaftesbury was my only general cargo trip when I was with Houlder Brothers, March to June 1972. Unfotunately, I have no pictures to remind me how the trip went, or to show my kids. ....
regards
DerekC

Derek,

I found a particularly good photo of Shaftesbury on sea-trials in "Ships in Focus" Record 11 if you can get hold of a copy.

If you need help, give me a PM and I'll help you out

Tonga

ruud
10th August 2006, 07:42
HI all,

regards
DerekC
Ahoy Derek,
Is this your Shaftesbury?
Sources unknown.

non descript
10th August 2006, 12:50
Well done Ruud. (Applause)

Nova Scotian
10th August 2006, 21:53
Hi:

I'm not sure how old this thread is of Houlder's Shaftesbury, but I sailed on her from January 1965 until June 1966 as an apprentice. During that period, which involved three seperate voyages, she was chartered by a number of different companies such as Clan Line, SAF Marine, KNSM, Japan Line and Tate and Lyle. My time on her was a great learning experience as we tramped all around the place carrying general cargo, grain, sugar and phosphate. Although I sailed with three seperate C/Os', the Master throughout was Captain Belton. Years later I was to read about his passing and the demise of Shaftesbury in the same edition of the Nautical Magazine.
If anybody remembers those voyages I would be pleased to hear from them.

The Thumbnail shows the Shaftesbury under SAF Marine colours at Durban in 1965.

Cheers.

non descript
10th August 2006, 22:04
Nova Scotian, the thread is not too old, it started out only this Spring - on 28th March 2006, 20:53.

As for Captain Belton, a good Mater - quite mad, but that never stopped anyone being a first rate Captain.

Yes, the Shaftesbury, like the Tewkesbury, spent a lot of the time on charter to a variety of outsiders - in the latter case, mainly Japanese.

Nova Scotian
11th August 2006, 13:29
Hi Tonga:

Yes.....Captain Belton was a good master. His wife, Ruth, accompanied him for one part of a voyage. She was a charming lady.

non descript
11th August 2006, 14:06
Nova Scotian,

There was a story about Ruth, a canary, the 2/O and some chartroom scissors..... as this is a family site, we will say no more.

(*))

PeterC
29th May 2007, 19:46
Bringing an old topic up but...

My Dad is actually Peter Cashen the Deckforeman who served for Houder Bros.

He came across this while 'busy' @ work, googling his own name! He is currently on the Stena Clyde rig in Perth, Oz.

He left the ships 26 years or so ago, to workk on the High Seas Driller, and then worked on all the Stena rigs, and still does!

non descript
29th May 2007, 21:27
Peter, as this is your first post may I extend a warm welcome to you and your Dad. Enjoy the site and you will find lots of Maltese Cross friends on here, as well as many many others.

marinero
31st May 2007, 12:14
Bringing an old topic up but...

My Dad is actually Peter Cashen the Deckforeman who served for Houder Bros.

He came across this while 'busy' @ work, googling his own name! He is currently on the Stena Clyde rig in Perth, Oz.

He left the ships 26 years or so ago, to workk on the High Seas Driller, and then worked on all the Stena rigs, and still does!

Welcome PeterC.
I remember your dad very well, in fact he and I sailed together on the Furness Bridge(I think) when he was JOS. Ask him about the time he fell asleep whilst he was sunbathing and we had to treat him for severe burns.
I was also with him on the High Seas Driller for a couple of years. Give him my regards the next time you speak with him.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

non descript
9th June 2007, 09:36
Shaftesbury was my only general cargo trip when I was with Houlder Brothers, March to June 1972. I was Deck Cadet. Unfotunately, I have no pictures to remind me how the trip went, or to show my kids.
regards
DerekC

Derek,

I have dug this one out here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66799/cat/510) for you.

Regards
Mark

yamamoto
27th April 2008, 15:04
any info or photos about the shaftsbury espesially the shaftsbury kwai please(==D)

Ian MacD
10th May 2008, 15:04
Shaftesbury was my first 'Bury' boat; I was dispatched to take her out of lay-up in Birkenhead in 1971, no master on board so after I had looked her over got hold of the shore rigger foreman Jimmy O'Brien - wonderful man - and his gang and overhauled all of the gear. Captain Rex Leach, a gent, joined shortly thereafter and we tooke her to Hamburg where we commenced a multi port load on a KNSM charter to the w/c central america which was a very demanding multi port load, multi port discharge charter with homeward cargo to load at the first port and the next port visible on the horizon. Mostly went to sea with the gear flying.
My years on the Oswestry Grange stood me in good stead and it was as good a high pressure training for a cargo ship mate that I can imagine.
The supercargo was the former chief officer of the Rotterdam who I later learned had reported to his head office that "Macdonald buzzes around the deck like an angry bee." This was as much to do with the massive stevedore pilfering that went on as anything else.
We must have done something right because after we went on leave at the end of the charter Rex Leach and I were called back to do it again.
Ian

David Menzies
3rd January 2009, 11:12
Hi. I did 3 happy trips to Argentina on the Shaftesbury as an Apprentice.
The master was Captain Mc Millan.
I retured in 2002 to Rosario to meet up with the Mission girls.

David Menzies
3rd January 2009, 11:15
Hi. Iwas on the Shaftesbury as an Apprentice about 1961. The Master was Captain Mc Millan from Sunderland.
My wife & I paid a holiday in 2002 to see old friends in Buenos Aires & Rosario including the mission girls who I still keep in contact with.
Happy days.
Dave Menzies.

non descript
25th July 2009, 20:30
Kevin has blessed us with an excellent picture of the Shaftesbury here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/187498)

David Menzies
27th July 2009, 21:54
I have tried to post a picture of the Shaftesbury with a deck cargo of buses for Montivideo.dated March 1963. Unfortunatly the picture has been rejected as too large, despite scanning elsewhere with no problems.
Very annoying as I dont have problems with other sites.
Dave Menzies.

David Menzies
5th August 2009, 18:35
I said with Captain Belton who did a relief voyage on the Oremina to Vitoria in Brazil in 1964.