Camito Christmas Trip from Avonmouth 1959

A.J.McMahon
29th April 2008, 17:11
Camito Avonmouth--West Indies Departure-8th Dec Please follow the picture numbers to maintain continuity. (1)Showing the aft end of the Camito at Avonmouth, prior to departure, once the Port Invercargill has cleared the locks and the stern tug is free. (2) In keeping with good tradition, officers serve Christmas dinner to the crew, but did they have to push it all the way and ask for finger bowls? (3) A fantastic crew with a great sense of spirit. (4) Young posers` with no one around to impress. (5)Now THAT`S a fish!! (6)Those were the days my friend.
Whist on the Camito, we played against the West Indies and English cricket teams on different occasions--- Results ?---Lets`s---Forget I intend to compile a list of some of the people who made it so good to be at sea with, under what occasionally could be trying conditions of ship or run or the odd storm..Enough for now.

sailingday
30th April 2008, 15:30
I watched the chippy catch a couple of sharks in Montego Bay 1958, I have the photos but I dont know how to send them, if any one was interested

A.J.McMahon
2nd May 2008, 13:21
Hi! Sailingday,We always went for a swim in the sea, time permiting when we were at Port Antonio, hovever I have seen our donkey man on the Camito fish for shark, and bring one out between 5-6 feet.It never seemed to put us off,was it foolishness or the fact that the ships in those times had no air conditioning. Regards AJM.

Ron Stringer
2nd May 2008, 15:18
Going into Bowden was always very impressive. The channel was so narrow, the water so clear and the rocks were strikingly close (almost!) to the hull on either side.

sailingday
25th July 2008, 15:55
Bowden, my everlasting memory , was walking along a road to the nearest bar, all went well till a car overtook us and in the headlights were literaly hundreds of land crabs making their way to the sea, we continued very gingerly to our destination, but reinforced with rum the return to the Camito was a piece of cake, evereytime these creatures are featured on nature tv programmes I recount my story